• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any advice on UPS shipping fiasco?

On Dec 18th, I bought an xbox 360 as a gift for my brother and I shipped it 2 day guaranteed with UPS from a warehouse in GA to my parents house in GA. I know ground shipping would have gotten it here, but I just wanted to get it early so it could be wrapped. Anyway, the UPS tracking info says that it arrived in their sorting center on the 19th and then it just... disappeared. I called on the 21st, after I checked the tracking info, and opened a trace for the package, but they said it would be 1-8 days before they could tell me anything. I've been trying to call customer service since and I've just been disconnected because of "excessive call volume". Anyone have any advice here, I'm more concerned that it was stolen instead of just "lost in the system".

Definitly sounds like it was stolen if the last status report was in the sorting facility... when it hits the truck it gets scanned again, and it gets scanned at the door. A trace will essentially be a guy looking at boxes that fell off the conveyer belt, and finding out if your package is among them... it's very doubtful you will see your package again.

I hope you insured the package for the full value? It's a bad situation, but, provided you have insurance, UPS should cover the cost of the unit.

If you got insurance it will take care of it. However it may take 2-4 weeks before you get a pay out. holidays may take even longer.

Hey B, we seem to cross paths yet again! :biggrin: The exact same thing happened to me with an Alpine amp. I don't think it was stolen, it pretty much got lost in the system somewhere. Basically, it went out for delivery and never found its way back.

So what ended up happening is that UPS ended up paying for the cost of the item back to the shipper so they could send me out an new one. Well before they made payment on it, the box mysteriously showed up at my house with no explaination. Since I had my amp I didn't persue the issue any further.

I'm sure UPS will either cover the cost or the Xbox will eventually be found. That's the good news, the bad news is you probably won't get it on time.

Last edited:
I intiated a UPS trace perhaps 2 months ago over some classic airsoft magazines, after they displayed as delivered, but never showed up at my door. It turns out the UPS guy delivered them 2 streets over, and the person who got them (and signed for them) waited 2 weeks before giving them to me.

The difference between these situations, if I am reading your post correctly, is the fact that your item dropped out of sight in the UPS facility, rather than at your door.

How could a package get "permanently lost in the system"??

I mean, falls off a belt somewhere, it will be found at some point. It has an address on it still. Even if it is 6 months later...shouldn't the person that finds it say "Hmmm...looks like this box needs to go to H. Simpson in Springfield, IL."

Or do UPS employees just get first dibs on their company's own mistakes???

Sorry about your situation.

I noticed one other piece of data. It was last accounted for at 12:24AM. The perfect time for someone to snag a free Christmas present... we shall see. Here's all the trackin info I have.

-->Stops here
DORAVILLE,
GA, US 12/19/2006 12:24 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
ROSWELL,
GA, US 12/18/2006 10:51 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/18/2006 10:24 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

i worked for UPS for a few years during college. The hubs I worked at(Dallas and Denver) had very a strict entrance and exit. There were security guards, cameras, metal detectors and you had to show your badge coming and going. It would be near impossible to steal a box as big as an Xbox through them. 12:24am is when they are doing preload and there are just as many, if not more people working at that time, than during the day. I would say your package is just lost in the building somewhere, the label came off or it got damaged. Missing or damaged labels account for most of the lost packages. The conveyor belts can sometimes make a mess of them. You will more than likely get your package, but not when you need it by. Good luck

Back