• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Modulo suspension

hello

My name is Sam, and I'm a Japanese sports car addict. So last month when I saw some really rare suspension for sale, I knew what I had to do! It was produced by Honda Modulo, apparently only for the Japanese market. It's also interesting that it was made in 2011, 6 years after the NSX was discontinued. There are no reviews, and very little info in general. The mystery was enough to catch my interest, I decided it was worth the chance.

MrHugo had listed it here on prime, and not only was he willing to give me a great deal, but he also brought it up to my neck of the woods with him for nsxpo. I met him, and some other really cool people at ORP for one of the track days. I was able to fit the nicely packaged goodies in my s2000 and bring em home. I needed to make some time to get this setup installed, and put some miles on the car to see what I think.

Here's a little about my experience with the nsx and other cars, that I think will help me create a credible review.

I currently have my dream car, which is a 1997 Berlina over tan, I've owned it for a few years now and put around 18k miles on it so far. It's been on nsx Type R suspension the whole time and I really enjoy it. I'm not the kind of driver that uses my car for commuting or dates, I take it out to drive. Ive experienced ohlins, mcs's, tein, bilsteins, swift springs, sti Japan, fortune auto, H&R, and a few other set ups on a variety of cars.

The upside of the Type R suspension, is that it is lazer sharp. Turn in is excellent, you can easily place the car wherever you want, and it reacts instantly to your inputs. It has a slightly edgy feeling, not quite dangerous, but edgy. The car will pogo a bit over train tracks and rough surfaces. The driver needs to be present and alert, I love it. The car stays extremely flat and planted through turns, even at the limit of grip. Type R suspension has quite a bit of rake in it, which I believe helps the rear end move around more when provoked. And it is stiff. Like really stiff. Like you might loose a filling driving on a rough road in the city stiff. Like if you hit a quarter in the road your CD will skip stiff. But at speed, all is forgiven, as it is just SO good.

As everyone knows, NSX Type R suspension is made by Showa. Showa also made the Mazda FD rx7 Bathhurst Type R suspension. Having run that on my car I can say I loved it. Very similar in character to the NSX, it it so sharp if not a bit punishing. I found it less tolerable on the roads though, possibly because of the difference in weight distribution between the two cars. The front end of the FD would skip and sometimes jump if you hit a bump in a corner, it was really only rewarding on the smothest of surfaces. But it was so instant, just like the NSX R suspension. Once you get a taste of that it's hard to go back, you get hooked, especially if you like to drive fast.

So what is the modulo going to be like? How will it feel and what characteristics will it bring out in the car? In my perfect world, it would be NSX-R level when set on 5, and able to be calmed down a bit when dialed back to one. It will keep the edgy, immediate feeling but could also double as something tolerable to meet up with the homies on a Saturday morning coffee hang. Having a late start today, I stopped installing at 3 out of 4 corners. I plan to finish the set up tomorrow and get a few miles in. Ill report back hopefully with good news and the ability to get my photos to load.

Attachments

• 0C0E0107-EC85-4954-AFF9-C371B31788C2.jpg
    0C0E0107-EC85-4954-AFF9-C371B31788C2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
It’s somewhat hard to tell in the photos. The rears are the same length. The front modulo suspension is about 7/8” longer. Obviously the springs are much different as well. My guess is that the modulo will compress more and make the car more level, no rake. You can feel the NSX R suspension is heavier as well. Probably due to the extra coils in the springs.

I finished installing the suspension this morning. The rears were pretty straight forward, the fronts gave me a bit of trouble. After getting one side done the second was much faster and easier. They fit perfect, no surprise being from Honda.

So, here's the big question, how do they ride?

Short answer: they're great.

Long answer:

The 1st thing I noticed was how smoothly they rode. The driveway up and out of the house is a little bumpy and it was immediately noticeable they are not crashy or stiff. I pulled out onto the highway near my place expecting a bit of jostling from crossing the ruts, but it was pretty minimal. The tramming in the ruts felt slightly reduced, it was still there but not as abrupt. I should also add, that the alignment was not adjusted. That being the case, they ride higher, and its safe to assume that there is some camber loss.

Now im at the beginning of the fast, smooth, twisty road here near Mount Hood. The weather's perfect, no traffic, roads are clean, I can see great, and the sun's overhead. I have the dampers set at 1 out of 5. After a few 2nd and 3rd gear corners, as well as a few hairpins, Im already getting a lot of feedback. The car's no where near as nervous, in fact it feels very smooth. Flowy is a word that comes to mind, small cracks and bumps are very barely broadcasted but they're still able to be felt. Initial turn in is nowhere near as sharp as the Type R suspension, but its very possible with a proper alignment at that ride height it would feel more immediate.

Something else that stood out was the balance. The Type R suspension has an ability to provoke the rear of the car, predictably. The Modulo feels more neutral at the limit. it feels softer and much more comfortable, as well as easy to drive. So after a few miles I set it to 5 out of 5. I figured I'd skip the middle ground, and wanted the extremes to be what I'm noticing. And it is noticeable. I have ohlins road and track on both my other cars, and I have not personally felt anything that can change character that easily and dramatically just by adjusting the rebound. The Modulo is not that way, but it does firm things up a bit. You can feel it more in the road surface that you can in the corners. I think it keeps the car a bit flatter, again its not night and day.

Into town, on the freeway, over around to a friends, and stopping by some shops. Its great, its smooth, its not harsh what soever, you forget about it. The day has passed and its back up the same mountain road, still on 5 of 5. Aside from not getting the immediate turn in, this is excellent road suspension. Im impressed, its very livable and when pushed its awesome. About half way up the road I again turn it back down to 1 of 5, its smooth and you can feel a bit more body roll. It doesn't feel sloppy or unnerving, its playful and lets the car have an almost carving on snow feel. The weight loads and transfers easily, you can predict and set it to almost slosh side to side in a super rewarding way.

So what is my impression.

How does it look?

The car now sits an inch higher that the NSX-R suspension. Its humbly lower than stock. It's at the height where you know it looks good, but it's almost hard to know if it's lowered or not. Great for driveways and not too aggressive. Running correct tire sizes, you can hammer the tightest corners and not rub the fender liner, even at nearly full lock. For whatever reason, I think this amount of lowering goes best on a "stockish" car. My wheels being white are a little shouty and almost need a more aggressive drop to look correct. This is obviously just my take on things.

How does it ride?

The Modulo set up is tuned, tuned in the true sense of the word, tuned like an instrument. It feels like serious thought and effort went into making the decision of how it handles. This suspension isn't for track times and its not for aggressive stance. Its not too much of anything thats gonna jump out at you, its subtle. It really feels like its made to just slightly enhance the natural characteristics of the chassis. The adjustability is not for change so much as for preference. Its for the type of driver that can feel the minute differences, as well as cares about them to begin with.

In conclusion: I like it. I can appreciate it. I also feel lucky to have the ability and desire to try these things. I don't know if its for me though. Really the only thing holding me back is the ride height. its just slightly too high for me. My opinion is the NSX-R stance is perfection, its the very edge of being aggressive, without looking slammed or loosing drivability. Im considering trying the NSX-R springs on the Modulo struts, possibly giving me the best of both worlds. But on the advice of someone smarter than me he said ditch them both and go full coilover, he might be right.

So if you read this far, thanks. This felt like a cool opportunity to try and add to the collective database that is NSX prime. As well as a fun practice in spilling my thought and impressions on something that brings me so much enjoyment.

Sam

Great feedback on this suspension that most of us wont ever see in person, much less own. I've had some Civic Type R suspension on some previous Hondas and Ill say that after rotating through coil overs, and spring/strut combos using a suspension designed specifically for the car by Honda engineers or Honda adjacent engineers in this case, is 100% the way to go.

I am having an issue seeing your attachments aside from the first one, not sure if others are too.

Great feedback on this suspension that most of us wont ever see in person, much less own. I've had some Civic Type R suspension on some previous Hondas and Ill say that after rotating through coil overs, and spring/strut combos using a suspension designed specifically for the car by Honda engineers or Honda adjacent engineers in this case, is 100% the way to go.

I am having an issue seeing your attachments aside from the first one, not sure if others are too.

Yeah man I agree. I think the adjustability of aftermarket has its benefits, but a sport tuned jdm suspension is great. Yeah I don't know what's going on with the photos, I think it would really add to the review to see them. I messages the admins to ask if they could help.

Can't see the photos either, besides the very first one. What are your tire specs?

Thanks for the detailed review on this suspension. It seems like a very sporty tuned suspension experience that can handle everything but the track. The review on the type R suspension is also helpful, as it sounds like my current one (Quantum T5). They are fantastic performers but a little stiff for the streets. Hence I am always worried about driver fatigue on long drives. For the track it is a no brainer.

If you were to try another suspension next, which would it be?

I know man, the photo thing is frustrating. Ive tried uploading from both my phone and MacBook over and over again to no avail. It keeps saying there's an error.
I forgot to mention tire sizes. 215/40-17 and 275/35-18. This is the largest stagger I've run width wise. I would not recommend it. I prefer 215 and 255. it keeps the car playful and much easier to pivot. As most know, rears last about as long as an oil change if they're sticky ones, so I'll drop to a less aggressive difference next purchase.

Im not sure on what's next. im debating using the springs from the Type R suspension, and the struts from the Modulo. Getting the drop and the adjustability In one. My friend who's a motorsports director said he's skeptical if it would be a good combo or not. Otherwise I could probably sell both sets and either go ohlins, which I know I like, or MCS. My shop puts MCS on everything and say they're the best in the market right now. Im just such a nerd when it comes to all the stuff from Japan that we never got, that I want to experience it all in lou of going straight to the end goal.

I know man, the photo thing is frustrating. Ive tried uploading from both my phone and MacBook over and over again to no avail. It keeps saying there's an error.

Just as a bit of background, the forum software we are operating on is very very old and outdated. I'm working on an upgrade for the site, it's taking longer than I had anticipated due to life getting in the way lately. But back when the software was released pictures were not the size and quality they are today. The software can only handle pictures up to a certain size from both a pixel by pixel aspect as well as a storage space aspect. If your photos are beyond a certain size the software just has no idea how to properly compress or downsize the photo to allow it to upload. That's why most of us are using 3rd party photo hosting sites and then just linking the photos for right now. This will not be a problem once everything is upgraded, but for the near term using something like Google Photos or imgur may be your best option.

I forgot to mention tire sizes. 215/40-17 and 275/35-18. This is the largest stagger I've run width wise. I would not recommend it. I prefer 215 and 255. it keeps the car playful and much easier to pivot. As most know, rears last about as long as an oil change if they're sticky ones, so I'll drop to a less aggressive difference next purchase.

Im not sure on what's next. im debating using the springs from the Type R suspension, and the struts from the Modulo. Getting the drop and the adjustability In one. My friend who's a motorsports director said he's skeptical if it would be a good combo or not. Otherwise I could probably sell both sets and either go ohlins, which I know I like, or MCS. My shop puts MCS on everything and say they're the best in the market right now. Im just such a nerd when it comes to all the stuff from Japan that we never got, that I want to experience it all in lou of going straight to the end goal.

Using the R springs on the Modulo shocks will probably blow out the shocks, since they are valved for much softer springs. I'm a big fan of the JRZ for the NSX. Also, Procar can procure a custom Bilstein setup that is matched to the R settings, but is much, much lighter and rebuildable. I'll probably go that route if my NSX-R suspension ever dies.

Just as a bit of background, the forum software we are operating on is very very old and outdated. I'm working on an upgrade for the site, it's taking longer than I had anticipated due to life getting in the way lately. But back when the software was released pictures were not the size and quality they are today. The software can only handle pictures up to a certain size from both a pixel by pixel aspect as well as a storage space aspect. If your photos are beyond a certain size the software just has no idea how to properly compress or downsize the photo to allow it to upload. That's why most of us are using 3rd party photo hosting sites and then just linking the photos for right now. This will not be a problem once everything is upgraded, but for the near term using something like Google Photos or imgur may be your best option.

I got google images, but I can't seem to get the photos to post in the forum itself, just a link

I got google images, but I can't seem to get the photos to post in the forum itself, just a link

In google images when you click the icon to "share" the image, basically make it publicly viewable it should provide you a link. Copy that URL. Then here in the forum click the "Insert Image" button, looks like a tiny picture, it's to the left of the film strip icon. In the "Insert Image" dialog box that opens make sure you click the "From URL" tab. Paste the URL in the text box and UNCHECK the "Retrieve remote file..." option. Then click the OK button.

See if that helps.

h3LeUoeaETUGoJm98
h3LeUoeaETUGoJm98
h3LeUoeaETUGoJm98

AF1QipMZZNi8pU19EzS072EHrs1-eH_IUSN_vXV1lpjy

Last edited:
In google images when you click the icon to "share" the image, basically make it publicly viewable it should provide you a link. Copy that URL. Then here in the forum click the "Insert Image" button, looks like a tiny picture, it's to the left of the film strip icon. In the "Insert Image" dialog box that opens make sure you click the "From URL" tab. Paste the URL in the text box and UNCHECK the "Retrieve remote file..." option. Then click the OK button.

See if that helps.

I appreciate the help. I tried copying created link. I also tried the header at the top of the page. no avail. maybe it is not meant to be.

8F585F9E-AEFC-455F-B165-0D244A1D029D.jpg

I’ve been running modulo with the MITA 02 style wheels with more aggressive offsets for a year. This suspension drives me crazy with how good it drives but how high it sits. There’s lots of websites you can find and run through google translate to learn more about what they did. Just for reference, the suspension is supposed to sit at type S height with front 147% stiffness and rear 145% stiffness of the 91 suspension. I’ve never run anything other than standard OEM 91 suspension on this car so I don’t have anything to compare it to but it is very neutral feeling and very planted and allows the car to rotate at limit.

I also have a 991.2 GT3 and this suspension is more compliant but gives the car the same confidence I have in the GT3.

For a full year I’ve agonized about this suspension. I really love it and it’s super high quality but I feel like it’s not truly at type S height. People comment all the time that I need to lower it and it’s frustrating because this setup costed me more than something like KW would have but the OEM factor is nice.

I don’t think you should try the type R springs. They were something like 3x the spring rate of these and will probably blow the shocks. I bet the Zanardi would work well, or typeS springs if you can find them. From what I’ve read online, this suspension was developed to allow the early cars to benefit from Neova tires and modern wheel sizes (17’s) in the tests. (02 wheels.)

In my never ending OCD research and doing the math on spring rates I think there are two options of you want to try different springs. Which way you go is dependent on whether you want linear or progressive springs and availability.

1. H&R springs. The rates are high, although maybe a bit softer in the rear. They lower the car 1.5”. I’ve read mixed reviews.
2. Dali racing springs made by eibach. Drop the car 1.25” and are 30% stiffer than the eibach springs they’re based on. The problem with these is they’re long out of production and Dali racing is out of business for years. As of today there is a vendor on eBay who has new old stock for $200. I think he has 8 sets. Bonus that these are red just like the modulo.

I believe the springs on the modulo are super similar to OEM but with higher spring rates, so I am going to try the progressive Dali/eibach first. I’m still not even 100% sure the Dali are progressive but given that they are eibach springs I suspect they are, since eibach is usually progressive. I actually ordered a set from the vendor this morning since they’re hard to find. I can always try eibach or tein if these don’t work out.

My hope is they match up well but give me a better stance. If they do I’ll save the modulo springs for resale later on since it’s technically OEM. I have no interest in a fully adjustable setup as I want something that sits the right way and I won’t mess with height at all. But dampening adjustment as with modulo is great.

I should have the Dali/eibach installed by Saturday and I’ll report back.

I’ve run this suspension for a year and a half now. While I love the way it drives and the adjustability it does sit a touch too high.

If anyone is curious I tried matching up a lowering spring made by eibach to this and the shocks are totally different than the OEM shocks so any lowering spring made for the OEM shock fitment won’t work.

Using the R springs on the Modulo shocks will probably blow out the shocks, since they are valved for much softer springs. I'm a big fan of the JRZ for the NSX. Also, Procar can procure a custom Bilstein setup that is matched to the R settings, but is much, much lighter and rebuildable. I'll probably go that route if my NSX-R suspension ever dies.

What springs would you use with the procar bilstein?

Back