• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any gun afficianados here?

Funny this should pop up today.

HotHonda,

I JUST got done installing a new set of Tritium night sights on my home defense pistol. I don't know how transferable my experience will be to your pistol/preferences but here are my impressions after 15 years with a Glock 9mm.

Trutium is a great idea. I like the Meprolight brand, and if you can find them the ones with a little white ring around the tritium. My last set all green set was ~15 years old and still working if a little dim. I swapped them out mainly to go to orange back, green front. I find this useful as it helps emphasize the front.

I don't really feel a need for lasers or flashlights as it only seems to advertise where exactly you are. When I think home defense I alway assume night time and usually inside. Being that I know my house better than they do, why sacrifice the advantage? I can see the other side of the argument too - just giving you something to think about.

Something I think is often overlooked is the holster. There are lots out there. IMO, spend the money to get a good one specifically fitted to your gun and the way you like to carry it. I spent 15 years with an el cheapo "Uncle Mike's" and upgraded to a Galco a while back. Should have done it years ago.

To keep the thread on track, my list of guns includes half a dozen pistols (mostly keepsake ones), a 12ga and a .22 to plink around.

I'd like to get a .22LR.

Thanks for the feedback Mark......I did a search on sights and found a "Sig"
specific forum....geez they have 38,000 members...that was a surprise!

The sights on the P220 are simply dove-tailed into the slide. It is not difficult to drive them out with a small punch. Just make sure to use a brass punch and not a steel one.
SIG Sauer used to offer Tritium sights themselves, but I am not sure if they do that in the USA as well. However, there are plenty of aftermarket tritium sights available, and the SIG Sauer is usually in their line-up as well.
So it should not be a problem.

Another thanks MvM for the info.....

Now that the Olympic Summer Games is fast approaching, here's a quick glance into perhaps the most difficult shooting event of all time, the 50 Meter Free pistol:

While not exactly the most exciting shooting sports to watch from the spectator's perspective (it's been equated to the likes of watching grass grow or waiting for paint to dry), it IS, nevertheless, the most difficult, AND perhaps most rewarding, of ALL shooting disciplines ever conceived when done right (such is the irony of competition marksmanship: the most challenging shooting disciplines are also the kind that will most likely bore you to tears as the spectator, and vice versa.). The difficulty lies in the fact that you are firing one shot at a time, one-handed, standing, without the benefit of special sighting devices such as laser, magnifying or red dot scopes, at a silver-dollar size 10-ring with a pistol that only has a max. mechanical accuracy of a Nickle (a Quarter if using cheap practice ammo) and the process must be repeated at least SIXTY times over during the 2 hrs. course of the match. World class preliminary score for this grueling contest of extreme marksmanship is 560 out of possible 600, excluding the 10 shots finals where the top 8 finisher will advance. Winning preliminary score is usually around 560's but only once in a lifetime a lucky fella gets a wink from God above and fire a 580+. Since the match's inception dating back to the 1st modern Olympics in 1896, Alex Melentiev of former Soviet Union fired an unbeatable 581 in 1980 Moscow Games. Even with the advent of better equipment since then (modern FP's are a bit more accurate and user friendly), the record still stands to this day. Compare this to all other Olympic disciplines, or all shooting disciplines outside of Olympic shooting for that matter, where records topple at the rate of once every 2 to 4 years, will attest to the difficulty of this game.

Free Pistol is the Ultimate "Zen". This sport appeals to the perfectionists seeking self-control of the highest level while under intense mental pressure. If you can truly master Free Pistol, mastering all other shooting disciplines will be a breeze, but not vice versa.

If this appeals to you, please go to http://www.usashooting.com for more info on how to get started and lists of local matches in your neck of the woods.

Happy safe shooting. :)

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=8204222541369506320&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

Attachments

• freepistol.jpg
    freepistol.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 41
  • pistol.jpg
    pistol.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hey Batman this is awesome! I never knew Sig has air guns and I might be ordering one. Do you know if they require FFL to purchase?

Nope. Airguns are pretty much not regulated.

Those Sig are pretty much on back ordered before they even start shipping at the end of July.

I have a fully modified 2000RPMs~ @ 1000fps full auto version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drozd+blackbird+full+auto

I got it before USA put USSR under those sanctions so now my gun has gone up in value more than a NSX in terms of %.

5000psi of air and the looks on people's face at the gun range.... a California gun range is so priceless.

I may sell this limited tactical version of my German made Beretta CX4 Storm .177 semi auto.

I just used a full 88grams of CO2. 600fps

140290_ts.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Air guns have really evolved.

They have .50 caliber ones that take down bears and large game.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quackenbush+air+rifle&search_sort=video_view_count

I heard that they are working on .70 caliber pellet rifles.

Back