• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

any idea on a custom system?

Im currently in the process of purchasing my 1st nsx!! very excited, fortunetly I have my 2 10W3's w/2 precison power amps from my last car and im hoping to come up w/an installation plan for the nsx..iv seen ppl replace the factory bose sub in the pass.fl brd and then i saw a custom behind the seats, unfortunetly im tall and i doubt i can sacrifce much rm, doesn anyone know of a custom system in the trunk? and if you can hear it over the engine and etc...or can throw some system ideas..thanks guys!

I suggest you buy the car first, and then live with it (and the stereo setup) for a while before you decide on any changes.

A sub in the NSX trunk is only good(?) for other people you are passing by: the cabin is so small in an NSX you will find a single sub is more than adequate and the most practical space is still in the passenger footwell.

You'll pretty much have to do a trunk install on the amps though.
If you browse through this forum, you'll see lots of ideas.

The weakest point with the stock systems is the Bose amps, which may not be such an imminent problem witha later model, but will still ultimately fail. From a performance standpoint, many people will not upgrade the head due to aesthetic reasons, when upgrading the amps/speakers, but there will be a compromise on the final result compared to a good after-market head.

I just purchased my NSX a couple of months ago and had a similar dilemma with a Soundstream sub and amp from my previous vehicle. As others had done here I had planned to make fiberglass box for the passenger footwell but decided to postpone the project due to lack of time. In the meantime I purchased a Kenwood compact sub w/ integrated amp and installed it behind the drivers seat (it consumes 4" depth). I am 5'11" and have the seat set to my ideal position and still have some room for the sub. I tapped into the pre-amp level inputs to the stock subwoofer and placed the Kenwood sub's wired remote into the armrest box. Here's a link to Crutchfield.com with the sub

It was inexpensive, simple to install (pretty much plug and play), and only took about 3 hours from beginning to end (my first time installing anything in the 'X). The installation is completely reversible and there was no cutting or drilling required.

The bass certainly has more impact now and it "filled out" the OEM system enough for my liking at the moment. However as can be seen from its design constraints it is not an earth shaker and has somewhat limited deep bass extention. I must say that I'm no longer the bass-head that I used to be in my younger days but I shall continue to plan (and practice with fiberglass) for a custom enclosure in the future. After all, my car is my hobby!

Back