• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone drive their cars on dry lakes?

I've seen some videos and pics and it looks like shear fun.

No, THIS is shear fun!

208357741_d82232aa70.jpg

I hope he's not gettin' bizzay with that sheep while he shears it ....
:eek:

I've thought about trying to find a lake bed or some place where you can just go flat out legally, for a protracted length of time, see what the car will really do. There's speed week on the salt flats, and some events are open to the public, but in order to get up to the type of speeds I'd like to do, they won't let you in without a cage in the car and other safety items.
Anybody know of a good, unsanctioned lake where a private individual can just get on and go? Perhaps the salt flats during any other week?

El Mirage dry lakebed outside of Adelanto. I used to ride dirt bikes there as a teen. Almost every single music video you have seen featuring a dry lake has been filmed there. As far as I know, you still can do whatever the hell you want out there (but the last time I was there was in 1986...We went out there to try and see Haley's Comet, then spent the rest of the night "surfing" on the hood of my friend's Toyota Cresida....I was standing on his hood while going 60 MPH). Last I heard, Ca. is so desperate for money that the state has begun charging vehicles to enter the area---Check it out

El Mirage dry lakebed outside of Adelanto.

I second this! El Mirage is awesome... I went there once a few years ago in my Accord (Posted some pics here...)

I've been too nervous to try taking the NSX out... the access roads are very bumpy. You might have to trailer the NSX in?

I've been meaning to get some equipment together and go film some high-speed footage of the NSX tearing it up across the lakebed. It's beautiful scenery out there.

I second this! El Mirage is awesome... I went there once a few years ago in my Accord (Posted some pics here...)

I've been too nervous to try taking the NSX out... the access roads are very bumpy. You might have to trailer the NSX in?

I've been meaning to get some equipment together and go film some high-speed footage of the NSX tearing it up across the lakebed. It's beautiful scenery out there.

The dust from El Mirage is not as much as I expected....

We have a fantastic dry lake bed right outside of Las Vegas. I took a number of cars out there for photoshoots and just have fun drifting them. Its an absolute blast. And even at a mere 40mph or so you get a pretty large rooster tail.

cdb0d4e8d06d8d5026fe105fca23e320_large.jpg

4148102847_2c68b79294_b.jpg

9ac15cd781e4397c983c938ee66735f8_large.jpg

d7cca2ffd9059502c850b059623e56b6_large.jpg

Back