• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Anyone ever have any luck with salvage titles?

So, the time is coming when I will be in the market to buy an early model NSX. As it happens, I may only be able to afford $25,000 or less. I know that there are clean NSXs for around that price, but most of the clean cars I'm seeing now are low mileage or heavily modded and so cost in the neighborhood of $35,000.

So, what have been some folks' experience buying a salvaged NSX (or any salvaged car)?

Anyone ever get a salvaged/rebuilt title that behaved exactly like a clean car of simliar mileage/age? Is it possible to have a 100% faithful "restoration" of a total loss in terms of performance? Reliability?

Are there any types of previous damage to always avoid?

What are the main problems that can be solved with a modification/upgrade?

It will likely be a couple of months yet before I actually make the purchase, but so far, I've not even considered a salvage title, however, it may be the best way for me to get my hands on an NSX.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So, the time is coming when I will be in the market to buy an early model NSX. As it happens, I may only be able to afford $25,000 or less. I know that there are clean NSXs for around that price, but most of the clean cars I'm seeing now are low mileage or heavily modded and so cost in the neighborhood of $35,000.

So, what have been some folks' experience buying a salvaged NSX (or any salvaged car)?

Anyone ever get a salvaged/rebuilt title that behaved exactly like a clean car of simliar mileage/age? Is it possible to have a 100% faithful "restoration" of a total loss in terms of performance? Reliability?

Are there any types of previous damage to always avoid?

What are the main problems that can be solved with a modification/upgrade?

It will likely be a couple of months yet before I actually make the purchase, but so far, I've not even considered a salvage title, however, it may be the best way for me to get my hands on an NSX.

Thanks in advance.

frame damage needs to be aware because that kind of accident is usually very severe. either driver hits someone or someone hits driver by a high speed.

I've not even considered a salvage title, however, it may be the best way for me to get my hands on an NSX.

If you want my honest advice, either save up for a clear title car or get something else. If you are scraping by to round up the funds for a salvage car then you will not be able to afford the maintenance. And then its going to just sit there until you decide to sell, and then guess what? No one is going to want your un-maintained salvage title car.

My $0.02

If you want my honest advice, either save up for a clear title car or get something else. If you are scraping by to round up the funds for a salvage car then you will not be able to afford the maintenance. And then its going to just sit there until you decide to sell, and then guess what? No one is going to want your un-maintained salvage title car.

My $0.02

Sorry, but I agree.

My $0.02

that's very true. obviously, your 25000 is not the level to get NSX. maybe buy a 2004-05 S2000 or brand new CIVIC SI.

hmm, let's give you some details about maintenance, and you make a decision if you can afford or not.
engine oil, tranny oil, brake fluid, coolant. those aren't expensive. BUT
Timing belt & water pump $1700
clutch master cylinder $350-500
valve adjustment $300-700
clutch replacement $3000-4000
brake master cylinder ???? ( someone make a number plz )
A/C service ???? ( i dont know about it:biggrin: )
all the hoses around $800-1000
insurance depends ( you can figure it out yourself )

Timing belt & water pump $1700
clutch master cylinder $350-500
valve adjustment $300-700
clutch replacement $3000-4000
brake master cylinder ????

I don't wanna jack the thread but I'm sure the OP would like to know this too.

- $3-4K for a clutch? I've never heard of that on ANY vehicle, minus the exotics like the FCar or a Lambo off course, but geez? NSX?

- What is with the brake master cylinder? How often does that go out that you need to count on replacing it?

Friend of mine in CA works on Hondas a lot and used to drive few different NSX's. He did all the work himself but said that nothing was ever difficult to replace. The prices above suprise me. Except for the TB, that seems reasonable.

I bought a salvage ACURA INTEGERA 10 years ago and I had kept it until last year( it was stripped off and it was dumped some where, fenderS and minor body damages, seats were stolen and ect..., not main frame or axle damage). It ran great, never gave any problems and It had 150K+ before I sold it.

So the question is: what type of damage of the vehicle? main frame or axle damage is a NO, NEVER buy it.

Other things to consider- if you really like the car and intend to keep it( of course, no major damages), I would buy it. REMEMBER, IF YOU DECIDE TO SELL IT BACK, EITHER IT IS DIFFICULT TO SELL OR SELL AT CHEAP PRICE. it is not a collectible item any more.

Don't forget the tires. They wear out pretty quick on these cars.

My $0.02

I agree as well - the NSX is not a poor man's car and if you can't put $25-30k+ together for a nice model, go buy something else or save!

Buy a salvage car and when the day comes you realize it's not cool anymore to own it, you will have to be buried in it cuz no one wants a salvage car unless you give it away to charity.

rk

I don't wanna jack the thread but I'm sure the OP would like to know this too.

- $3-4K for a clutch? I've never heard of that on ANY vehicle, minus the exotics like the FCar or a Lambo off course, but geez? NSX?

- What is with the brake master cylinder? How often does that go out that you need to count on replacing it?

Friend of mine in CA works on Hondas a lot and used to drive few different NSX's. He did all the work himself but said that nothing was ever difficult to replace. The prices above suprise me. Except for the TB, that seems reasonable.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org

this is what i found out.

22100-PR7-006 FLYWHEEL $1739.52
22200-PR7-005 DISK, FRICTION $226.66
22300-PR7-025 DISK, PRESSURE $311.03

it's already somewhere like 2300. do u think the labor will be cheaper than 700bucks?????

labor is the big part. like TB WP service, cost about 800-900. of course, if you know how to do everything yourself, it saves a lot. but how many nsx owners know how to do a TB WP service themselves.

Last edited:
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org

this is what i found out.

22100-PR7-006 FLYWHEEL $1739.52
22200-PR7-005 DISK, FRICTION $226.66
22300-PR7-025 DISK, PRESSURE $311.03

it's already somewhere like 2300. do u think the labor will be cheaper than 700bucks?????

labor is the big part. like TB WP service, cost about 800-900. of course, if you know how to do everything yourself, it saves a lot. but how many nsx owners know how to do a TB WP service themselves.

Those prices correspond to the NA2 6-speed. The NA1 5-speed clutch kit with both bearings can be had easily for well under $1,500. Dali sells the whole kit for $1,250. Labor for the clutch is generally around $600-800.

Those prices correspond to the NA2 6-speed. The NA1 5-speed clutch kit with both bearings can be had easily for well under $1,500. Dali sells the whole kit for $1,250. Labor for the clutch is generally around $600-800.

You guys are both right but really just comparing peanuts here.... :frown:

$1850-$3000 is the range and that's still a chunk of change regardless. Don't forget the usual insurance, gas, tires, registration fees, etc.

All we're saying is this guy needs to have more than a bare $25k to buy this car.....

rk

You guys are both right but really just comparing peanuts here.... :frown:

$1850-$3000 is the range and that's still a chunk of change regardless. Don't forget the usual insurance, gas, tires, registration fees, etc.

All we're saying is this guy needs to have more than a bare $25k to buy this car.....

rk

Yes, of course that's true. A nice clean title 1991 NSX is almost always going to cost you more than $25K. Only a neglected maintenance or high mileage 91-92 NSX would go for that price anyway so set aside that much money for service. Tires go fast as well. Before you know it you're up to $30K which is about where that car should have sold for.

Alright, so, sounds like the salvage option is out of the question. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait a while longer before getting behind the wheel of my ideal car.

I understand that a 91 can have the alignment adjusted to the 93+ spec in order to save on tires? Or, were you all taking that option into consideration when you said that the tires go fast?

Yeah even when you zero out the camber and toe-in to optimize, the tires will still wear quick due to the nature of the drivetrain and weight location.

It helps, but how much may be negligible.

Alright, so, sounds like the salvage option is out of the question. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and wait a while longer before getting behind the wheel of my ideal car.

I understand that a 91 can have the alignment adjusted to the 93+ spec in order to save on tires? Or, were you all taking that option into consideration when you said that the tires go fast?

The OEM toe specs can result in the OEM rear tires wearing at 5,000-7,500 miles. The 93+ specs can extend rear OEM tire life to up to 10,000 miles or more. This doesn't take into account tracking the car.

Several NSX owners have had great success with a less aggressive toe setting and a longer lasting but equally performing tire like the Goodyear GS-D3. I have heard numbers in the 20K+ mile range for the rear GS-D3 tires coupled with a less aggressive toe setting.

Front tires should last at least 15K miles and can last up to 30K-40K miles in the case of the GS-D3.

Patience is key!:smile:

I've had great luck with my '91 salvage NSX. Bought it at 105K miles 5 years ago. At 167K this daily driver has been superbly reliable. As soon as I purchased it, I droped 10K in upgrades ('02 conversaion, with a modified marga hills kit, exhaust, 18/19 wheels, touchscreen stereo with a 12" sub (thats right..a 12" in the foot rest :). Only repairs have been maintenance related, clutch, brakes and timing belt. Car has been good to be so I continue being good to it..just ordered a two-toned perforated leather kit. I bought the car originally for 21K and it has been worth every penny of it!

My biggest regret, is not getting a '95. I am dying for a Targa Top to enjoy this sunny so cali weather!

I bought a 95 with a salvage title with no regrets. The guy that owned it before me bought it and had it fixed and drove it for 3 years. When I was looking at it I had it inspected by a good mechanic I knew and trusted that works on high end cars. He said the car was in good shape. Later I took it to the Acura dealer to have the TB and WP replaced and the the guys at the shop went on about how nice it was. Later they said to me "Do you know it has a rebuilt title". Any time I bring it there for regular service they always comment on it and how nice it is. Also I spoke with the guy that fixed it.
Anyway I've had it for 2 1/2 years and its been great. The guy before me had it for 3 and it was a great car for him. To me the car has a good history since its been fixed. I've taken it on long trips. Honestly I couldn't be happier.
All that said....I think you have to be super careful which is how I went into it.

Greetings

Just be careful before you buy. Talk to your insurance agent about how much coverage they will give on the model year you are looking at. You say you can afford $25K, so I am guessing that money might be tight and you cannot afford to let any go away if an accident occurred. I would not pay more than that amount for the car, unless you can afford to wave goodbye to it in the event of an accident.

The car has to make you happy too.

Good luck finding the car of your dreams!
Martin

Just had complete clutch replaced along with master and slave cylinder. It cost me over $4,000.00. Everything was itemized out and done by Hontech in San Diego. I believe the whole clutch assembly was about $1,800.00 in parts. So, the guy is in the right ballpark. If I had it done at Acura it probably would have been even more.

If you look hard and wait to find it you could get a nice one for that price or less. We lucked out with one of the NSX's we have the black one and got it very very cheap and it was clean and with 63k miles on it. There are owners out there that are not on prime that have no idea how muh the car is worth and they just sell it for blue book. But then again the deal we got on it was a once in a life time thing.

The price for a salvage NSX would have to be significantly cheaper to consider it. Realistically, you can find late model NSX's with high mileage for around $25k if your patient enough. Also the weaker economy tends to force people to sell off their toys, so I would keep looking. Seller motivation is powerful.

I would only consider a salvage title if I wanted a dedicated track rat. Then I would strip it down and sell off the parts to offset the cost of a turbo kit.

Back