• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone finish their garage floor?

Gobble, if it's a choice to paint or not, I would still say paint it! Even though I didn't have great luck with the paint I chose, it still looks way better than concrete. It also doesn't stain, spills stay beaded up and wipe off easily. It does get very slippery when wet though. Some people mix the paint with a little sand to give it some traction.

Kenric

Originally posted by beckertb:
I used the 12" x 12" industrial flooring in black and light gray. I also use the smart-park pads to park each car on, but the flooring looks great, and seems to be holding up quite well over the past 2.5 years, and at $0.69 per tile from Lowes, it isn't an expensive venture. Everyone that sees it is very complementary.

I just went to home depot. I purchased Armstrong industrial tile for $0.59/tile. I bought black and white tiles. Thanks for the tip. I think it is a very cost effective solution!

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

Originally posted by Periokid:
I just went to home depot. I purchased Armstrong industrial tile for $0.59/tile. I bought black and white tiles.
Is installation pretty straightforwad? Are there special floor prep requirements?

Anyone have any pictures of these garage-mahal floors ??

Originally posted by cojones:
Originally posted by Periokid:
I just went to home depot. I purchased Armstrong industrial tile for $0.59/tile. I bought black and white tiles.
Is installation pretty straightforwad? Are there special floor prep requirements?

Anyone have any pictures of these garage-mahal floors ??

I am placing the tiles on a concrete floor. Basically is needs to be clean and dust free. Nothing major as far as prep. The floor can be layed on other surfaces as well.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

any experience with UCoat-It ??

Kinan said:
I painted my new garage floor about 5 years ago with the Behr kit from Home Depot.
Overall I'm very happy with the results. It went on very easy, covered very well and has held up better than just painting it. Used a roller with a broom extension and painted half at a time.
There was a grated cheese shaker full of paint chips that you sprinkle on the wet paint. I was concerned the paint chips would attract dirt so I followed up with a coat of clear epoxy afterwards, somewhat a mistake as the clear came up where the sun shines but the color is still good. It washes with soap and a floor broom and still shines well and makes working on the NSX much easier by not getting scuffed up on a bare concrete floor. I had to park in the driveway for a few days, no biggie it was worth it. There are quite a few scratches from the motorcycle kickstand but still looks great from parking a car on it.
Sounds like several folks are happy with the BEHR kit from Home Depot.

Does anyone have any experience with the UCoat-It system (see http://www.ucoatit.com/ucoathome.html ) ?? This seems very similar to the BEHR kit, as described above.

I used Rustoluem's epoxy garage floor kit. They have a few colors and include everything but brushes and rollers. Mine is blue with the little paint chip flakes. No peeling. Oil wipes right up, but it's slippery as hell when wet. About $50 / kit / car at Lowe's or Home Depot.

kgb_agent said:
Oil wipes right up, but it's slippery as hell when wet.

can you mix some sand in before applying to keep it from getting so slippery?

I think you'll find tile to be price effective, easier to install and more durable than any kind of paint. As mentioned before, $.59 industrial tile from Home Depot will work just fine. For a more upscale installation everyone might want to check out: www.garage-tile.com Have fun!

S.L.

I am closing on a new house in two weeks and have been thinking about finishing my garage floor with paint before I move in... Looks like I will have many options to choose from.

Thanks for all the info guys! - special thanks to Cojones fro reviving this thread from a year ago... ;)

I have a bit of expertise in this area having worked for a good industrial floor coatings manufacture in the past. I also will be coating the garage floor of a new house in late June. My choice will be Tennant Company's CRU urethane. I'm not sure if it is even for sale to the public consumer. And, moisture cure urethanes are pretty particular as far as surface prep for proper bonding. But, if you can get it (or something similar), and take the time to learn how to aply it, it makes for a fantastic surface.

Maybe I'm just being naive, but has anyone tried Pergo flooring? I know I've heard it's great on high-traffic areas like a kitchen & can be found at almost any flooring store; however, I don't know how it would hold up to hot tires. But it seems like a possible solution? As I recall, it is little pricey though. Just thought I'd throw that out there & let the experts fight it out.

And Nsxotic, I too would like to see pics of the NSX's carpeted castle if you get the time.

Thanks for the ideas so far though.

Adam

xxmerlynxx said:
Maybe I'm just being naive, but has anyone tried Pergo flooring? ... I don't know how it would hold up to hot tires.
Adam, what about dropped tools, jack stands, water, brake fluid, salt residue, tire plasticisers, non-controlled climate, gas, etc.? How many race teams use Pergo? Most all of them use either an Epoxy or a urethane.

xsn said:
can you mix some sand in before applying to keep it from getting so slippery?
There are special grits for this purpose.

I had my garage flor painted in January 03'. It's a 3-car garage and it cost me $700 to have it done by a local painting contractor. Sherwin-Williams industrial epoxy was used - see pic below.

Overall I'm happy with the job and the look of the floor. We did have a problem with one spot under one tire that came up twice, but after spot sanding and cleaning, it seems fine now.

If I had to do it again, I would do the following:

-Insist on two acid etch washes instead of one.
-Give more time betwen the wash and the paint to ensure the floor is dry - I recommend a week.
-Put down two coats of paint instead of one. It hides imperfections better and gives extra gloss.

Dave

Attachments

• garagaefloor.jpg
    garagaefloor.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,245
DaveG said:
If I had to do it again, I would do the following:

-Insist on two acid etch washes instead of one.
-Give more time betwen the wash and the paint to ensure the floor is dry - I recommend a week.
-Put down two coats of paint instead of one. It hides imperfections better and gives extra gloss.
I had my garage coated in '99, and it still looks great today. I only had one acid etch, however my house was basically new so that wasn't an issue. I paid $680 to have an independent guy apply two coats of epoxy to my 3-stall garage, and there are no problems with peeling, etc.

My lessons learned:
1. Put drip pans beneath the batteries! If your battery leaks, the acid will eat into the coating!
2. Pay a little extra and have the anti-slip grit mixed into the coating. Trust me, the floor can get very slippery when wet!

For SoCal-NSX:

Dave,

Yes, one of my main concerns, too,is that you have to leave your pride and joy outside during that 7-day drying/curing time for epoxy products. But, would it be harmful to the car, or finish up unsightly to paint one side of the garage, let that sit for a day with plenty of ventilation, and then let your NSX spend the other six days on the unpainted side? Paint the remaining side at your leisure, of course.

I think I'm with the tile side of this discussion. I think ceramic could work really well if installed suitably to handle the weight, but rubber/vinyl is obviously more easily replaceable and cheaper.

Regards,

Bill

I prefer a simple stone finish on my floor. Just kidding.
I hope to have it finished in the next 6 weeks so these tips are helpful.

Attachments

• 54h_050803_11_lr.jpg
    54h_050803_11_lr.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,115
I moved last summer, and finally got a 3 car garage!!!

The house was a new construction, and i had the garage floor coated with a ceramic coated quartz crystal (sand) embeded in a clear super hard epoxy. The coating is ~1/8" thick, and is simply awesome. Dirt and grime simply brush away once dry, and the surface is NOT super slipery when wet. I then added the Griots Garage Rubber mats under the 2 daily drivers, to funnel the snow, and water toward the doors.
I most recently did the race deck flooring under the NSX. This stuff is really cool, and you can make up your own design!!
www.racedeck.com

Attachments

• race deck.jpg
    race deck.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,043
Last edited:
Back