• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone in Mass. near Norwood? Please help

I am looking for a daily driver as the NSX is basically a weekend car now. There is an Infiniti G37 at the dealership in Norwood which I am considering buying. Before flying up I was hoping someone might be able to take a look at the car and let me know if in fact the trip up is worth the effort. Thanks!

What exactly are you looking to know to determine if the trip is in fact "worth it"? What are the identification details so that if I am in the area or want to take a trip over there I have them available?

It is an 08 G37 with Liquid Platinum exterior and Stone Interior with 18,000 miles; Vin#JNKCV64E48M100936. I am trying to find out if there are ANY cosmetic or other notable defects. The salesman makes it sound as if it just came off the assembly line, but with 18,000 miles I have trouble with his assessment. There has to be some rock chips possibly other issues, but the pictures he sent show the car in the shadows and it is dirty. The ad has it listed as 15000 miles which is a misrepresentation (aka LIE) so I am weary of the dealership or at least the salesman. A fellow NSX owner has an eye for detail whereas a used car dealer... well you complete the rest. I know it is not and it will be under warrantee, but I don't know what I will be asked to live with and flying all the way to Mass especially this time of year had better be worth it. I simply don't have the reassurance I need. As an objective person I value your input and honesty. I can't say the same of the salesman, unfortunately.
Thanks for your help.

Greg, is it a Coupe? If so, make sure you drive one for a day or so before you pull the trigger. I have an 06 G35 Coupe which the lease is over at the end of March. I couldn't stand the car after having it for one weekend. The trunk is smaller than the NSX's, the engine spins but doesn't pull very well, and there is a ton of road noise because the car doesn't seem to have good noise insulation. I think the thing is made out of a tin can! Mine eats through brakes and tires more quickly then my NSX, and they have a yearly service schedule that is ridiculous. The new one's have a nicer interior, but the seats are very uncomfortable if you have a waist bigger than 32". I love the exterior looks of the car, but I can honestly say that out of the 25+ cars that I've owned, this one was the worst. Yep, even worse than my 1977 Lancia Abarth Scorpion that I had in college that left me stranded in the middle of nowhere before we had cell phones.

Rob, you are alive!!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you about the seats. The thigh lumbar support will need to be bent or cut away. I had the same problem with the NSX until I had a custom upholstery shop bang them out, now it is fine and I expect the same is accomplished with the G37.
The 08-current model is a redesigned car, different than your 06 G35. It won the Car and Driver top 10 award and got a great review from Automobile magazine this month in their long term test of an 08.
I checked out their version of NSXPrime (sorry Lud) and most folks are extremely happy with the car with some minor gripes.
My take is that Infiniti has come a long way and now are able to put out a car which can provide apples to apples an equal if not better product than BMWs 335 for $10k less.
Thanks for the heads up on the 06, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.
So how are things in Boca?
Are you going to the ADA in Hawaii?

Things are good down here, how are the folks and Texas doing? I solved the thigh bolster problem by jumping up and down on it and bending the support. Now my big fat ass fits comfortably in the seat. I know they upgraded the 08 considerably over my year, but the plastic interior is still terrible. The car is much smaller on the inside than it looks. The trunk is useless if you ever have to go to Costco. I really suggest you borrow one for a weekend before you buy it. We aren't the slimmest of guys, hence the reason why I just bought a CLS500 as my daily driver. Plus I'm getting too old and lazy to drive a manual everyday.

Last edited:
Everything is fine here now, unfortunately we got clobbered by Hurricane Ike. The office is OK but the staff and my partner live in Bridge City which was inundated by the storm surge. Some had 8 feet of the Gulf of Mexico in their living romm, truck etc. My partner and his wife are living in a travel trailer as they rebuild their house and deal with insurance company. They weren't so generous with the assistance here as in New Orleans and the media basically ignored the story so it is pretty much every man for himself with the exception of the churches and local outreach. I helped clean out a house and the smell was unreal. But this is Texas and not New Orleans, we will be fine, thanks.
I appreciate the input on the car. I know there will always be concerns with every car but it seems that Infiniti really has a winner with the G37. The plastic never bothered me with the NSX and I can live with it in a daily driver. I really want the GTR, but for now I need something to get me from A to B and the NSX is such a pain with ingress/egress and the crappy roads here make some outings a punishing event.
I have looked at a few cars out there and the only other one that seemed comparable was the Lexus IS350. But it seems more of a woman's car than the G37. I drove the Acura TL SHAWD and THEN the G37. The G37 smoked it.
I am curious why you chose the MB over a BMW. The 335 is a fine car and would make a great daily driver. But it is a lot more for a car which compares head to head with the G37. There are also so damn many BMWs out there I am tired of looking at them, and they basically look the same anyway. And I am a little leery of the European cars after driving Japanese for so long.
So if not the G37, then in your opinion, what would you reccommend as the top 3 choices?
Greg

I have one more major gripe with the Infiniti Coupe's. I need to buy my fourth set of tires in 31,000 miles. Yep....All four unlike the NSX where you can get 20,000 out of the fronts and 10k from the rears. This car eats up tires and it sucks for me because it's a lease that is being turned in the end of march.

As for a few good choices instead of a G, well here were mine.

1) 2004-2006 E55
2) 2004-2006 M5
3) 2005-2007 CTS-V
4) 2006-2007 MB CLS500

I ended up getting a 2006 CLS500 with 28,000 miles for $31k. The car is a joy to drive and the quality of the interior is far better than the Infiniti. Also, you can't compare the NSX interior to the Infiniti. The NSX is also far superior.

I didn't get the E55 because I was concerned about long term relaibility with the supercharged engine and the cost of servicing the car. The CLS is built on the E chassis but has a longer body and larger interior.

I never got around to picking up the video game. I built a new house and decided to upgrade my stereo and buy a large tv instead.

I may be in the area later today, if so I will stop by and look the car over and take some photos for you.

So Rob, why is there a significant concern over reliability with the CL 55 but not the CLS, are there significant issues with this car? You weren't concerned with reliability in the CLS? Have you had any issues with the CLS?

So Rob, why is there a significant concern over reliability with the CL 55 but not the CLS, are there significant issues with this car? You weren't concerned with reliability in the CLS? Have you had any issues with the CLS?

I was just afraid to buy a used AMG car and I didn't wan't to spend too much money either in this market. The CLS offers me everything that I want and it's much more luxurious than any Infiniti. Go check one out. They are great cars and the V8 has some good peep too it.

Hey Rob, I think I will take a look at the car. The AMG model offers some serious HP. But it sounds like you are leery of them. Are you aware of any issues offhand?

Back