• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone interested in smoked vinyl overlays for the NSX lights?

Blue Batmobile said:
Hi guys. Met up with Randy today, sweet ride! Better yet, he lives just 5 minutes away from me :). I did the initial templates for the front turn signals, front and rear sidemarkers and rear taillights. I'll be applying the rear taillight kit Sunday ;).

Bat™

Awesome, thanks Blue Batmobile and Randy! I can't wait to see the results!

Blue Batmobile said:
Hi guys. Met up with Randy today, sweet ride! Better yet, he lives just 5 minutes away from me :). I did the initial templates for the front turn signals, front and rear sidemarkers and rear taillights. I'll be applying the rear taillight kit Sunday ;).
Malibu Rapper said:
Awesome, thanks Blue Batmobile and Randy! I can't wait to see the results!
Looks like Blue Batmobile replied to this thread sooner than I did. :) Yup, he started with the templates this afternoon. Like he said, he's making templates for pretty much everything. Stupid me, though, had my Taitec S-TAI wing on, so when I go back on Sunday, I'll bring my OEM spoiler for him to work on for those of you interested in covering your third brake light.

I took off the S-TAI wing and put on my Dreamzsport wing, so if anyone is interested in getting the kit with that wing, please chime in. He'll need to know if there's enough interest in that part also before he cuts a template.

Keep in mind that since the rear light kit will cover more than the 350Z kit, the price will be north of that kit's $30. Blue Batmobile is still figuring that out, since he hasn't seen the OEM spoiler.

-Randy

I woud like them for the 6/10 taillights and the 3rd brake lite too.

Will this cause any degradation of folks seeing your lights?

I assume we have a tint shop apply this?

I’m interested. Thanks!

The lights will shine through fine even on the 6/10. I just applied the 6/10 to my Scion and it wasn't all that difficult to do by myself but if you haven't had experience tinting before, I highly recommend you go to a tint shop to have them applied. Tint shops will do this for pretty cheap. You could easily mess up a piece of overlay if you don't know what you're doing. Something like the front turn signals and sidemarkers would be a piece of cake. The rear tail light is probably a bit trickier since it might come in 2 pieces per section.

I used a diluted mixture of car wash and water and sprayed it on the tail lights and the vinyl overlay. With both sides wet, you can affix the overlay and center it. Then you start from the center and move your way outward to squeegee the water out and the overlay will stick. Then on the parts where there are wrinkles, you can hit it with a blow dryer and squeegee the water out and it will hold. You then look for all the water bubbles and I just used the corner of my razor blade to punch holes in the overlay and squeeze the water out. The curvier the surface, the trickier it is.

dude, where's my money... NSX ate it?!?

hmmm... So we are gonna have a group-buy per individual application (ie. GB for F: side-markers, GB for R: side-markers, GB for bumper combo-lights, GB for taillights/spoiler)...

or

...special pricing if we purchase multiple applications as a 'bundle' (ie. F & R side-markers, F & R side-markers and bumper combo-lights, F & R side-markers and bumper combo-lights and taillights/spoiler) :confused:

{or both!!! :biggrin: }

Thanks.

ps. When taking pics of the 'test' applications, can there be 3 sets of images w/ each tint (6/10, 3/10, "smoke"?):

I. daytime, in direct sunlight
II. daytime, but in shade (not direct sunlight)
II. night-time

There will be a slight delay before we can do a test fit. Unfortunately, my schedule and Blue Batmobile's schedule don't match up right for this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted as we get them installed..

avalon96 said:
Make sure they make a set for the 2002+ tailights. Let me know if you need a car for fitting.
It's not my decision to make, but I imagine it would depend on how many other owners of 2002+ styled taillights are interested.

Count me in. I'm definitely interested in overlays for the taillights of my Blue 97. I am not interested in doing the other lights -- esp. not the brake lights, as I want them full intensity so people behind me have as much warning as possible to stop, because I don't want that big a modification to the rear of my car!.

But have always found the original tail light lenses a bit bright next to the blue, so am quite interested for them. I think I would prefer the 3/10s so people can see the lights better on the freeway at night, but most of all think I would like to see pictures, daytime and also nighttime with the lights on.

Also, if someone finds a shop which did a good job installing them, please tell me. I would love a recommendation specific to applying these, rather than just tinting, esp. because I think people who have done this specific job before will be particularly good.

Thank you for organizing this!

Chip

I'd be very interested depending on how it looks. The pics Osiris suggested will give me all the info I need to decide if I'm gonna buy. I like the bundle idea too. I think this would look great on my black NSX.

What's up? :biggrin:

Hi guys :). Randy, give me a call so I can set something up for next week. I should have some stuff for you guys then ;). Thanks for asking me to do this for you. I'm a big fan of the NSX :). Here's a pic of my ride:

img6.jpg

Bat™

Blue Batmobile said:
Hi guys :). Randy, give me a call so I can set something up for next week. I should have some stuff for you guys then ;). Thanks for asking me to do this for you. I'm a big fan of the NSX :). Here's a pic of my ride:

img6.jpg

Bat™

Beautiful blue! :wink:

Chip

Just to let everyone know, I used Blue Batmobile overlays on my 350Z and loved em. The tails were by far my favorite...since the 6/10 is just enough to darken the tailights without making them too dark to function. Fantastic, easy mod!

And, if you get tired of it, just peel it off...no worries.

Hey Andrew- Hurry up on those NSX overlays! I sold my Z!

Blue Batmobile said:
What!? You drivin an NSX now? Tell me more!

Bat™

Yeah, traded the Z in on it. Very happy new owner.

I was looking at the tails on the NSX...and it seems to be quite a bit more of a project than the Z tails...any thoughts on this Bat? There are some edges and contours that might be a little difficult.

I'm sure you'll figure it out...

If these dim the taillights at all, I would seriously consider that. The way some people drive the brighter the taillight and stop lights the better. I would hate to hear of one of our NSX's being rearended becasue some fool could not stop in time because the lights were not as bright as they should be.

As an aside, it is kind of a ricey thing too, just my old man opinion though. Honda civic, go for it, NSX nahhhh.

Any updates? :confused:

Im still interested. Whats going on?

Back