• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Anyone know the range for snap ring failure?

The VIN does not reflect the range at all, rather the tranny # does. It is 3684 -5978 or very close to that, if I remember right. No preventative maintenance can be done outside of ripping it apart and replacing it. See the tranny # by looking from driver's side down through the injectors to the top of the tranny.

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

It's true that you need to check the transmission number on the car, and you can't go by the VIN. However, it is not likely to afflict the earlier 1991 cars. Given that there were roughly 3000 of these sold, the probability of being in the snap ring range is negligible for the first half of the production year (VIN ending in 001500 or less for US NSX) but is much greater at the end of the production year, as well as throughout 1992.

SJJ28...... that was probably the funniest, subtlety I've seen in a while... sorry, nsxtasy... By the way, mine is 002007 and tranny # is 2774 (well out of snap-ring range).... so, so much for that theory of later vin #'s....

------------------
Pls. visit my site w/ lots of info and pics. Brand new classifieds and Message board. It may take a bit to download but it's worth it, I hope @
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

By the way, mine is 002007 and tranny # is 2774 (well out of snap-ring range).... so, so much for that theory of later vin #'s....

No, that actually supports it. The probability of getting a tranny in snap ring range is only at the very END of the '91 model year (as well as all of '92). I didn't say that ALL of the second half of the model year would be in range, only those at the very END of the year. But I don't know exactly what point in the VIN sequence it would start (perhaps 002700 or thereabouts based on your numbers, just guessing though). Again, the only way you can be sure is to check the tranny ID.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 07 October 2000).]

So what if anything do you do, if you have a 92? Was there ever a recall on the snap ring? After going through 5 A/C evaporators in 5 years, and now a compressor, I am almost ready to give the car up--much as I love it. I could always get a newer one I suppose.I have read horror stories about $7000 repair estimates? BTW, please let me know if you ever replaced your A/C evaporator--I am doing a survey.

So what if anything do you do, if you have a 92?

There is a preventive repair you can do. It was written up not too long ago on the NSX e-mail list, so I suspect Lud will insert it into the FAQ soon.

If I had a '92 with a transmission in the snap ring range, never shown to be repaired, I would do the preventive repair.

Was there ever a recall on the snap ring?

No. Failures were covered (partially or in toto) as goodwill for several years after the original warranty expired, but I haven't heard of them getting covered recently; probably depends on how many miles you've got on it, whether you're the original owner, your relationship with your dealer, etc. I wouldn't count on a failure being covered, but if I experienced one, I would certainly ask.

Guys, I have am in the market for clean early year model and unfortunately come across a beautiful 92 with 33K miles, in excellent stock condition. However, naturally it is in the snap ring range. I am having the car checked out this week by acura for overall condition and will ask about this, but as a 3rd owner & new to my local dealer, it does not look good. How should this affect the purchase price or would you suggest bypassing this beauty all together with a price in low 30's assuming everything is tip top by acura?

Just have the preventive repair done. And adjust the purchase price for the amount of the repair.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 October 2000).]

I have just purchased a '92 (my second, I had a '91 for three years and loved it) in the snap ring range and would appreciate the offer of a fax of the service bulletin on the issue. Fax Ed Farrell @ 202 463 6915. Thanks.

Back