• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone local ever pulled their steering rack?

Mine is squeaking so it's time to yank it and send it to Matt.

I want to DIY this because I can't really ask a shop to have a lift tied up for weeks with a car that can only roll in a straight line... has anyone around here done this before? I would really appreciate helping eyes and wisdom in this project and will copiously furnish coffee/beer/other substance of choice.

It's not hard at all. Do you have a place to do it? Or go to PitRow for a lift. I'm down to help too. Will be out in no time.
Btw I have a spare if you want to use it while Matt is working on yours. Or at least to be able to drive it back home (say if you decide to DIY it at PitRow)

I just had it done at my brother's shop, as there was some play and I was told I needed to have the rack rebuilt due to the notorious internal bushings issue. After getting the rack out out, he cleaned it up, put in those SOS bushings, and apparently it's all good now. I don't have the car back yet as it's now getting paint, but he says it's solid.

Can't comment on the difficulty though. I'm sure he can do it for you and store your car if you want to send the rack out - it won't take up a lift. Located in Stockton though.

http://rpmspeedcenter.com/

-Josh

It's not hard at all. Do you have a place to do it? Or go to PitRow for a lift. I'm down to help too. Will be out in no time.
Btw I have a spare if you want to use it while Matt is working on yours. Or at least to be able to drive it back home (say if you decide to DIY it at PitRow)

Damn, that would be awesome. What year is your car? Mine is a 96 so it takes the EPS rack, not the manual rack...

I can do it at home on jack stands (and leave the car up in my garage while the rack is out) - if it's quick enough that's probably okay. If it's an all-day job my neck and back would probably prefer Pit Row :)

Are those bushings an easy install?
Very easy and worth it. Especially if you still have 20y old rubber in there.

Damn, that would be awesome. What year is your car? Mine is a 96 so it takes the EPS rack, not the manual rack...

I can do it at home on jack stands (and leave the car up in my garage while the rack is out) - if it's quick enough that's probably okay. If it's an all-day job my neck and back would probably prefer Pit Row :)
No EPS for me. I have spare manual rack. You can totally do it with front end on the jack stands.

Back