• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone Near Acura of Libertyville (IL) >>

Pls let me know if anyone can ck on a car for me. thanks.

I'm about 20 mins from there. Let me know what you'd like checked out. Please keep in mind I'm not mechanically savvy, although I could take someone with me who is, if he's available.

gramps: yes, thats the car. thanks for the info. it does look to be in great condition, plus the fact that its certified gives me peace of mind. only things that bothered me were NO cd changer, and generic tires (new though). does it have a single CD in dash?

how do u see the pricing relative to the condition,miles, etc? whats a fair offer on the car (im thinking 59-60k?)?

dc935 said:
it does look to be in great condition, plus the fact that its certified gives me peace of mind. only things that bothered me were NO cd changer, and generic tires (new though).
Be sure to ask them what happened to the tow hook cover and if they still have it.

Gramps said:
Saw the missing tow hook cover. Is there a story?
Not sure what the story is on that car but mine is missing and the story is that I hit a raccoon.:frown:

DV8 said:
Not sure what the story is on that car but mine is missing and the story is that I hit a raccoon.:frown:
Mine is missing because I took it off to prepare for the tow truck before he arrived (although mine is still inside my car). However, the driver didn't bother with the front tow hook; he got it onto the flatbed using the proper holes underneath. (Coincidentally, the tow truck driver had previously towed a wrecked NSX in that small town; what are the odds of that?)

nsxtasy said:
However, the driver didn't bother with the front tow hook; he got it onto the flatbed using the proper holes underneath.
Where exactly are these holes located and are they recommended over using the front tow hook?

DV8 said:
Where exactly are these holes located and are they recommended over using the front tow hook?
There are two near the front of the car and two near the rear. They are illustrated in the service manual, close to the front. It's on page 1-9 of the '91 service manual (page 10 of the .pdf file in the Reference area of the NSX FAQ).

Basically, which tow points you use depends on what you're doing. If the car needs to be towed out of soft turf, you may not be able to access the four tow points, and you may need to pull it onto the pavement using the front tow hook. But if the car is already on flat pavement and you're putting it onto a flatbed tow truck with a winch to pull it up from both points, then a good tow truck operator can hook it up from the two front points to pull it onto the flatbed without scraping the front air dam (on an NSX with stock ride height, anyway), and then tie down the two rear points once it's on the flatbed and level. That was the case with mine.

nsxtasy said:
Mine is missing because I took it off to prepare for the tow truck before he arrived (although mine is still inside my car). However, the driver didn't bother with the front tow hook; he got it onto the flatbed using the proper holes underneath. (Coincidentally, the tow truck driver had previously towed a wrecked NSX in that small town; what are the odds of that?)

If the small town is Cloverdale, I'd say pretty high odds. :biggrin:

nsx2tall said:
If the small town is Cloverdale, I'd say pretty high odds. :biggrin:
Actually, that incident (unlike my mechanical failure) had nothing to do with Putnam Park. The owner was a student at Depauw University in Greencastle, and it happened on a country road outside of town (and not the 1.8-mile variety).

Getting back to the car in question at Acura of Libertyville (VIN JH4NA21633T000089)... I went to see it last week.

Yes, the tow hook cover is missing.

The front chin spoiler (the black piece) is REALLY beat up, along the bottom (common) and top (not common), and the two corners (not the edges, but the corners) look like they were folded. This may have happened due to a careless job by a tow truck operator in loading/unloading the car (or in using a sling type tow). I suggest replacing the piece, especially since it's not particularly expensive. The air dam above it wasn't damaged at all.

The car has new Hankook Ventus HRII tires - a really crappy all-season tire. Any NSX owner would want to replace those, first thing.

I think this car was in a minor accident affecting the left rear quarter panel. The trunk lid is slightly higher where it meets that panel. The bolts just under the trunk lid, that fasten the quarter panel, looked like they had been newly painted (whereas the ones on the passenger side looked original and had slight rust). And the finish itself was not smooth and glossy in one area towards the bottom of the panel, behind the wheel well; instead, it looked like it had been re-painted and not all that great a job. The top part of the panel looked pretty good, though.

Other than these items, the car looks pretty good. Not perfect, obviously, but worth buying (especially if you can use this information to knock a couple grand off the price).

nsxtasy and others>> THANKS for the info!! i assumed the car would be in better shape than that since it was Certified...i guess not. i did notice the lower blk piece was all dinged up from the pics as well. im looking for something in better condition, so perhaps ill be patient.

this forum rocks!! :smile: btw if anyone knows of a MINT 02+, shoot me a pm. thanks.

Back