• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone race an NSX in IT or showroom stock?

OK, I am getting no interest in my cherry but high mileage NSX. My original intent has been to sell it and get a Spec Miata or an ITA car. However, I am thinking about racing the NSX wheel to wheel. Has anyone here raced an NSX w/ only the necessary safety mods and otherwise basically stock?

Its basically uncompetetive in anything but a random regional class.
I can think of no SCCA national class where a basic NSX would be worth a damn unfortunately.

Showroom stock is now down to SSB and SSC. The NSX is far too powerful to be allowed in either as most SSB cars have around 200hp and weigh 3000lbs+.

Contact Shad @ Driving Ambitions - he knows a thing or two about racing an NSX. Maybe Kip (the reigning SCCA- ITE and SP champ) will chime in as well.

I'm building an ITE NSX now as a long endurance car. Unsure about a few things, but here's the general idea:

1991 salvage title car, tub in great shape
NA2 ABS upgrade
~300HP engine build, normally aspirated, ECU undecided
5sp gearbox with JDM gears, LSD upgrade
cage
sidemount seat sliders (have a 6'4" driver)
bigger radiator
headlight conversion to non-pop-up with projectors (we'll be racing at night)
custom aero (big front splitter, wing, unsure about widebody, ducted hood)

This is not intended to be an all-out ITE car. I wouldn't have chosen the NSX if that's what we were after. The winning car at the VIR 13 Hour was a BMW doing 2:15's mostly with 2:12's as their fast laptime. We ran an RSX with 230HP at 2600ish pounds on 235 BFG R1's and hit 2:09 in qualifying. But we've had no end of trouble breaking CV joints and steering control modules after a few hours of continuous running. I blame FWD. I also hate struts. Enter the NSX.

We're pretty sure we can hit the same weight as the RSX. Much more HP available. 235's on the front, 275's on the rear. No struts. Lower Cg. Lower Cd. More downforce. So significantly more power and better handling. We think 2:05's should be reasonable for fast laptime, and 2:10 easy in traffic. Based on what cars have shown up in the past, that should be enough to win. And we think we can make it incredibly reliable. Oh, the RSX didn't have ABS, but did have big Stoptechs on it. We'll have the same Stoptechs on the NSX, but ABS as well.

That's the plan currently. Hopefully we can get what we need from FXMD in time. I don't like the idea of replacing $800 fenders with more $800 fenders. Need something cheaper, but not necessarily wider. Definitely don't want much heavier, though.

BTW, how much is the OP willing to sell his car for? I'm tempted to buy a daily driver NSX. :)

--Donnie

thanks for the answers guys, it looks like I will continue to rent a ride until I can get the NSX sold. I would really prefer to race something more expendable than the NSX. I can rent a spec miata for a fraction of what Skippy costs, guess I'll do that until a buy a car...
Donnie,
pm me if interested, price is always negotiable...

thanks for the answers guys, it looks like I will continue to rent a ride until I can get the NSX sold. I would really prefer to race something more expendable than the NSX. I can rent a spec miata for a fraction of what Skippy costs, guess I'll do that until a buy a car...
Donnie,
pm me if interested, price is always negotiable...

Thanks, but I'm going to resist temptation entirely. Your car is something I'd be interested in otherwise, though. Silverstone is the yum.

Should have the gearbox back in my Cayman (430HP and lots of other mods), so that will satisfy my street speed needs. Been without it for a few months, so the eyes start to wander.

Spec Miata is pretty awesome. I've been racing one since 2003. I'm on car #3. We "used up" the first one endurance racing (and won the VIR 13 Hour in 2005 in SM), then I ran another 1991 that we built until last year when I got a 2000. Fun stuff.

--Donnie

Re: The Masters series getting expensive?

.... I can rent a spec miata for a fraction of what Skippy costs, guess I'll do that until a buy a car........
So, uh, Jim, reading between the lines, I guess this means you've graduated to the Masters series with the added expense of "senior driver's aids"? :biggrin: "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

Talked to Wade lately? He just told me he wanted my car for June and November races out here. Guess he'll be doing Skippy at Road America in between?

Hey here's a thought. Did you guys know our series will do a support race at Infineon for Indycar in August? Maybe you and Franz should join Wade for that one. I'm sure I can put you in a competitive car. :wink:

Last edited:
Back