• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anywhere in the DC area sell racing helmets?

I guess I will need to pick one up before NSXPO and I hear it is important to try it on rather than buying it online. So, where does one do that in the DC area? Any recommendations?

I have no experience but I'm in the same boat. After poking around online a bit, it seems like this may be the best option, by Dulles:
http://www.ogracing.com/

I did purchase mine online as they do allow returns and there were not a lot of places nearby for me to try on at that time.

You can attend an HPDE event at Summit as I figured that would be closest to you to chat up folks who most likely would let you try on a helmet there.

Alternately, we do have loaner helmets for those at the track. You don't have to buy one. This would allow you to check out other folk's helmets and see what you do and don't like, not just in the shop, but while on the track.

I have no experience but I'm in the same boat. After poking around online a bit, it seems like this may be the best option, by Dulles:
http://www.ogracing.com/

this

The main store in Sterling has everything. The little shop at Summit Point has a minimal amount of stuff, mostly trackside emergency items.

Will try to pop out there this Saturday (they are open between 10-2PM and not open on Sunday) and try a few on. I suppose that means I should go out to Katie's first.

Pooh - I may very well take you up on the loaner idea, but given my height (just under 6'2), I wouldn't mind verifying fit a bit to make sure I don't need something special. Assuming it all fits in the car with the top on, I may just go with a loaner rather than dropping the close to $300 on a helmet that might not be the best all around helmet for my needs.

I really they have this helmet there. I was doing some research only and I really like Stilo helmets I know they are a little bit expensive but they look great and top quality.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377109694858.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377109694858.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 18
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377109703439.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377109703439.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377109796174.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377109796174.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 17
  • uploadfromtaptalk1377109804862.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377109804862.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 18
Will try to pop out there this Saturday (they are open between 10-2PM and not open on Sunday) and try a few on. I suppose that means I should go out to Katie's first.

Pooh - I may very well take you up on the loaner idea, but given my height (just under 6'2), I wouldn't mind verifying fit a bit to make sure I don't need something special. Assuming it all fits in the car with the top on, I may just go with a loaner rather than dropping the close to $300 on a helmet that might not be the best all around helmet for my needs.

What time are you going to stop by? I may meet you up there on Saturday.

Dave

I was going to head there too but then I decided to order an inexpensive Zamp helmet first, so I have a point of comparison. I may have a need for a second helmet and figured my needs are low enough thus far to give it a chance. If I'm not fully happy, I plan to head to OGRacing.

-jason

Dan and I visited OG Racing this morning. Great customer support. They rent Bell helmets for $35/event...up to 10 days. I plan to use that option rather than buy for now.

Dave

great option on that rental......just wear a head sock.

Seat tweaking was successful, was able to swap in an old pair of seats and remove the cushion from the driver side. That basically allows me to sit on the floor while driving and I can be in a more more natural "ready" position. When not on the track, I can pop the full cushion back in and have NSX seats. I think it is basically problem solved. I may rig up some Velcro for the cushion to help it stay in place, although my butt currently does a pretty good job of holding it down at the moment. If I decide that I am going to track more frequently, I could buy a set of racing seats, but this will get the job done for NSXPO.

p347.jpg

e97s.jpg

Seat tweaking was successful, was able to swap in an old pair of seats and remove the cushion from the driver side. That basically allows me to sit on the floor while driving and I can be in a more more natural "ready" position. When not on the track, I can pop the full cushion back in and have NSX seats. I think it is basically problem solved. I may rig up some Velcro for the cushion to help it stay in place, although my butt currently does a pretty good job of holding it down at the moment. If I decide that I am going to track more frequently, I could buy a set of racing seats, but this will get the job done for NSXPO.

p347.jpg

e97s.jpg

Dan is trying to steel all of my ideas

seat-cushion replacement

...remove the cushion from the driver side. That basically allows me to sit on the floor while driving and I can be in a more more natural "ready" position.

Dan, you inspired me:
20131001-211352.jpg

I also ordered some expanding foam so that I can make a molded insert (see also here) to hold me more securely (and probably improve comfort). We will see how it turns out. Will probably do it the night before I drive down to the NSXPO track event.

-jason

Haha - I hope you took it off a bit more carefully than I did so that it can go back in easily. I will be curious about your foam solution.

Picked up a helmet at OG Racing this morning. Heading down to NC this Sunday to help my brother with some final NSXPO preparation.

Last edited:
Picked up a helmet at OG Racing this morning.

I got one there too. The Zamp I ordered is okay but the FJC sold at OG fits me much better. I spent last Saturday at an autocross test & tune, where I got 40+ runs at FedEx field. Amazing fun and I learned a ton about the car. I feel much better heading to the NSXPO track event.

-Jason

Hey Jason,
Don and I tried using the expanding foam last year to create an insert for me so we could share a track car with a fixed seat (he's 6' and I'm 5'2"). The foam was challenging to do. Didn't help that we had just flown in from the East Coast (NSXPO2012) and were doing this at a mechanic's shop garage (where they thought we were a bit odd). You might want to PM him about working with it as we went through one kit figuring it out. Glad I had order 2.

I got one there too. The Zamp I ordered is okay but the FJC sold at OG fits me much better. I spent last Saturday at an autocross test & tune, where I got 40+ runs at FedEx field. Amazing fun and I learned a ton about the car. I feel much better heading to the NSXPO track event.

-Jason

Back