• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ashtray to storage cubby conversion - 3D print

The surgeon general has determined that smoking is hazardous to your health, so I present this ashtray conversion. (Not that you'd let anyone smoke in your NSX anyway.) You can convert the lighter port to as USB phone charger as shown as well.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EwK5rRHtG6DLLxs27

AF1QipOLnWAJs8w48AwuTIHZlranqOptrgvbrhAMwwgE

EwK5rRHtG6DLLxs27

EwK5rRHtG6DLLxs27

Original part: 77710-SL0-A01
Revised part: 77710-PID-A01

The design uses multiple trapezoids to achieve the largest storage cubby possible, accounting for the rivets in the outer ashtray assembly. Filleted to match the OEM console and designed to use the ashtray’s latching mechanism. It has a “back” to obscure the view of the ejection spring behind it. There is a second latch release point hanging down just in case the lid does not release the cubby. I made it stick out further in the picture above to make it more obvious but it's regularly flush to the upper surface.

Print in PETG, or ABS if you leave your car in the sun. NO PLA.

To remove the old ashtray, push up on the cover (where it says push) and the ashtray will pop out. The storage cubby attaches using a similar latching mechanism. Push it in until it latches and remove it the same way as the ashtray. Cover can still close.

Files available at: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4846135

Attachments

• PXL_20210501_133157371 (1)-min.jpg
    PXL_20210501_133157371 (1)-min.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Internal dimensions 70 mm wide by 35 mm high, (2 3/4" wide x 1 3/8" high). The front is a bit larger at 76 by 39. Note that there is an alignment tab in the back 20 mm; it's 2 mm wide by ~4 mm high that protrudes slightly into the cubby through the slot, as seen in the pic. For maximum storage, you could trim a couple of mm off it with a side cutter.

It's 74 mm deep, (2 11/16") with the cover closed.

Awesome! n00b added the 3D repository subforum that I requested. I'll use that from here on in. I've got a bunch of parts I'll be posting in the next few weeks once I do some more testing to failure. I couldn't get an engineering job with Honda when I graduated, but at least I can design a few things...

Edit: posted to 3D print repository.

Last edited:
Back