• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

[Australia] 1991 Red 97K 5sp

Hi all,

Autostyle have an NSX for sale. The link that was sent via "Email a friend" resulted in a server. So, unfortunately you have to do it manually.

1) www.autostyle.com.au
2) Click "Our Cars"
3) Select "Honda" and click "Search"
4) The NSX is the only Honda there.

Here's the link that wasn't working, it might work at some other point in time: LINK

Danny

Hi guys

don't worry, same thing over here and most places in Europe. Many NSXs are for sale for approx a year++

Strange but I don't think it's expensive, it's a bargain right :confused: Not THAT high considering what you get IMO.

Danny, Ghillie:

Seriously how much do you guys think a nice 91 manual with 120,000km is worth - what would you be prepared to pay? And is that based on performance comparisons to contemporary, mass-produced cars like the 350Z? Because with a car like this, pricing is not so much about the performance etc, it's about how the car is percieved, and I think that the perceptions of younger buyers in the Aussie market (me included) are way different to those of the Aussie sellers (who typically do not seem to be in their 20s).

What I mean is that with the insane Aussie sticker price and consequent very limited numbers sold here, the sellers are probably perceiving their NSXs to be in the same company as truly rare exotics such as the F355 to a far greater extent than you would find in the US market. I mean if you bought one for $190,000 in 1994 dollars, would you want to be selling it for $40,000 in 2007 dollars when it's still good as new and has another 200,000km and 20 years in it?

As for them being for sale for over a year... I think this is common for fairly rare cars. As a 2nd or 3rd (or 9th) car, the sale simply isn't urgent, and economics dictates that if pricing is steady and is determined by supply and demand only, at the market value, there will be an even number of buyers and sellers. But there's always fools with money too, and would you want to sell your $500,000 (opportunity cost) car for more than market value? Worth a shot right?

Alternatively maybe there's a secret society conspiring to keep the Aussie prices high for sellers. I haven't been let in on it yet but that's probably because mine's not for sale!

I paid $60,000 for mine last July, pre-modded (and done right) and almost immaculate with 27,000km (JDM manual). +$10,000 stamp duty, insurance, coilovers, fixing a/c, and I'm still driving around thinking I got a bargain.

Here's why I think that:

* It's got presence. It's wide, low, and nevermind what other people think, when YOU return to it in the car park, you think "wow" - and that's really cool. Camry man ain't thinking that and he's probably copping more depreciation too.

* It sounds absolutely unreal and it's not just because the engine's behind you (that helps, but doesn't save my MR2). Some people think there's no better sound than a wound-out normally aspirated V6 and the NSX still arguably has the best of those ever put in production car. It also sounds "expensive" (until you put in the AIS) and that's always cool too.

* Look after it and it's good for 30 years and 300,000km. I mean you can actually enjoy driving this car daily for decades. Not many exotics can offer that.

* Running costs are relatively low. Parts readily available compared to other cars in it's original market like the Ferrari 348, Lotus Espirt etc.

* It's easy to drive quickly yet remaining totally confident in control, comfortable over long distances etc. Some comparable cars aren't either of those things, limiting their ability to be enjoyed.

* Australian insurance is a bargain considering repair cost and value of the car.

* The fact that it's built by Honda (abliet by hand etc) reduces the poser value. I don't want to be a poser, so I'm glad I'm not paying extra for the poser value associated with Ferrari etc.

What do you guys think? For the $60,000 asking price on that Red 91 (and all the other red 91s)... is there another car you'd rather buy? If so, what is it, and if not, do you simply not want to spend $60,000 on a car?

I mean no offense - honestly - I'm just curious as to how you guys, as potential buyers, perceive the NSX. Above is what I think, above that is what the Red 91 sellers think :) - what do YOU think?

Damn. Neo could have got 100 posts out of the above's worth of typing :biggrin: I'll never catch up.

John - my point was not about how much I think the cars are worth to me (I'm still working my way through that:rolleyes: ) but about what the market is prepared to pay. So many unsold cars as a proportion of those offered suggests that sellers want more than most buyers are prepared to pay - or maybe it just means that the NSX is not popular and difficult to sell except at crazy prices.:eek:

That NSX has not been for sale for very long at all (a month or so). It was sold a year or so ago by a car dealer who purchased it from a member of our club. I have driven the car - the only thing I could fault is that the gear stick would not return to the middle (between 3rd and 4th) when in neutral (so you could easily select the wrong gear).

A friend recently sold his 91 black manual done 130,000+km for over $70,000. I think you will find that the majority of NSXs that are for sale for long periods of time are those that are:

(i) autos (and the hugh majority of the ones for sale are autos),
(ii) rough
(iii) over $100k (this counts out many buyers)
(iv) out of market

I have started another thread re my NSX that is for sale (I head overseas to live on 28 March so need to sell it before then).

cheers

club - I don't disagree with you. No doubt there is a substantial difference between a car that has been thoroughly well looked after and maintained and one that has been poorly treated. Unfortunately, the prices asked seem often to not reflect a car's lesser value. This is apparent from the length of time that many of them spend on the market. I have noticed a few cars go quite quickly even though the price seems similar to (apparently) comparable cars. I assume these are the top ones... best of luck with yours!

Ghillie - OK I sure can't argue that a car's been overpriced if it's widely advertised and still unsold for over a year.

When you've worked out exactly what you're looking for and what you're willing to pay for that, PM me if you want me to look over any cars with you... at least if I showed up in another NSX the seller might not be so fast to tell fairy tales.

Also don't be afraid to talk to Robert Lane Honda about the car. If it's been serviced by Honda in Vic it will have been serviced there, and if the seller has nothing to hide, they should have no problem with you doing this to verify the car's history.

John - my point was not about how much I think the cars are worth to me (I'm still working my way through that:rolleyes: ) but about what the market is prepared to pay. So many unsold cars as a proportion of those offered suggests that sellers want more than most buyers are prepared to pay - or maybe it just means that the NSX is not popular and difficult to sell except at crazy prices.:eek:

This is not directed at ghillie, but to John. Curious as to why I was even mentioned when all I did was post up the car. I made no opinionated comment and have pretty much only posted cars for sale so others can have a look.

Danny

OzzieJohn said:
Danny, Ghillie:

Seriously how much do you guys think a nice 91 manual with 120,000km is worth - what would you be prepared to pay?

This is not directed at ghillie, but to John. Curious as to why I was even mentioned when all I did was post up the car. I made no opinionated comment and have pretty much only posted cars for sale so others can have a look.

Danny

Danny, I asked your opinion on the values because as above, you seem to have an interest in the Aussie NSX market.

Sorry, I have misunderstood your initial post.

Well, obviously a well-kept car would be worth the money. But as previously mentioned, sometimes people are not willing to spend that much. If I had the money, if this, if that ... then I'd buy etc etc.

Danny

That NSX has not been for sale for very long at all (a month or so). It was sold a year or so ago by a car dealer who purchased it from a member of our club. I have driven the car - the only thing I could fault is that the gear stick would not return to the middle (between 3rd and 4th) when in neutral (so you could easily select the wrong gear).

Actually there was one other thing - it was a 91 with a red roof - so obviously the roof had been painted for some reason........

Hi everyone,
I am now the proud owner of the car you are discussing. NSX Club of Australia you were absolutely right when you said that the only thing that you can fault on the car is the gear stick not centering. This will be corrected by me very soon. The car is a cracker, and I was willing to pay much more to own it. In short, most sellers are selling themselves and their NSX's short. Believe me there are buyers out there that know the value of these cars, and the lack of comparable alternatives in the marketplace, who would pay a fair value for an NSX.
Guys don't let buyers intimidate you into selling your cars for a pittance, if your car is a good example hold out and genuine buyers will dig deeper into their pockets.
Finally Ozzie John in my opinion your low kilometre purchase, even with the added expenses, sounds like good buying to me. Congratulations and many happy kilometres of fun driving.

Back