• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Avic -D1

Has anyone here installed a AVIC-D1 (in any car). I'm seriously thinking about the unit. I like the double Din set-up more then the AVIC-N1's flip up screen, however the Double Din D1 doesn't play movies :mad: :mad: What the heck is up with that!! The DVD-Rom that it comes with can only be used for the Navigation.

Any input??

It won't play a movie while you drive due to the gyros that are built into it, that unit is not selling well because of it. The prices are dropping like a rock on that unit, we haven't sold one in months. Kenwood has the best double din piece right now.

prova4re said:
It won't play a movie while you drive due to the gyros that are built into it, that unit is not selling well because of it. The prices are dropping like a rock on that unit, we haven't sold one in months. Kenwood has the best double din piece right now.
And I have one for sale in the "general classified section"
Stacy

jadkar said:
Has anyone here installed a AVIC-D1 (in any car). I'm seriously thinking about the unit. I like the double Din set-up more then the AVIC-N1's flip up screen, however the Double Din D1 doesn't play movies :mad: :mad: What the heck is up with that!! The DVD-Rom that it comes with can only be used for the Navigation.

Any input??

The screen on that unit is nice but I agree with you on the pitfalls. How does a double DIN deck with a video screen not play movies? Duh?!

BUT, there is a workaround I've heard for the gyro and playing video. People have been rigging up their video through the reverse camera input.

ocnsxer has one in his car and you might want to get his input. I do like my Kenwood as far as functionality and features go. It can control my 20 GB (soon to be 80 GB) MusicKeg, play MP3s on DVD, and the navigation is separate so it's upgradable (NAV technology does change so keep that in mind). The Eclipse units have a better glare resistant screen and GUI IMO.

i have the pioneer avic d1, great unit doesnt play dvd but you can always add a external dvd to it,. as far as the dvd not working while you are driving yes i did find a way to bypass it to make it work....for the price that the avic d1 is going for it is a great unit. if you need one give me a call 714-531-8404 ask for mike...

just bought a avic d1 today, had it installed, the guy at the shop told me that there is a way to modify the unit so the dvd rom will play movies, however that will require the unit to be opened thus voids warrenty. I havent decided it i want to do the modification.

Do you have any pictures of the unit installed??

Back