• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Bad day at the track, guy hits a deer.

Ouch!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n8FBxS-00xU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n8FBxS-00xU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

out east the famous bridgehampton circuit was notorious for dear ......but alas it is no more

Good driver keeping it straight. Nothing he could have done. Lousy audio though.

What?!?! How can he be a good driver if he didn't even have his hands on the wheel!!!

Glad he's ok... I hope the deer had a quick death too...

I was there that day, this was on Saturday at Summit Point. He was on the main straight between Turn 10 and Turn 1, he was estimated at about 150mph. Glad it was not me!!

I have no idea why his visor on the helmet was up, I NEVER drive with mine up just in case. This is a good example of why it should remain closed.

I was there that day, this was on Saturday at Summit Point. He was on the main straight between Turn 10 and Turn 1, he was estimated at about 150mph. Glad it was not me!!

I have no idea why his visor on the helmet was up, I NEVER drive with mine up just in case. This is a good example of why it should remain closed.

My thoughts exactly. Looks like he had something going on with his eyes after the small impact

he had his visor up and he waved to a car he was casualy passing makes me think this lap was a checkered cool down lap.

Well fortunately he had good motor skills and quickly covered his eyes. I'll bet that shield stays down in the future.:wink:

What?!?! How can he be a good driver if he didn't even have his hands on the wheel!!!

He had his left hand on the wheel and countersteered to keep the car straight even after the impact. His right hand came off to shield his eyes. I guess you could have done better :cool:.

He had his left hand on the wheel and countersteered to keep the car straight even after the impact. His right hand came off to shield his eyes. I guess you could have done better :cool:.

Watch the video again and you'll see you're incorrect. :smile:
If you do a frame by frame you see at 0:20 his left hand come up. Check at 0:24, you see him put his left hand back on the wheel.
He covered his face with both hands.
The "countersteer" you speak of is most likely due to hard the braking he did when you don't have your hands on the wheel.
I probably would have done exactly what he did. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Watch the video again and you'll see you're incorrect. :smile:
If you do a frame by frame you see at 0:20 his left hand come up. Check at 0:24, you see him put his left hand back on the wheel.
He covered his face with both hands.
The "countersteer" you speak of is most likely due to hard the braking he did when you don't have your hands on the wheel.
I probably would have done exactly what he did. :rolleyes:

The steering wheel deffinitely comes back to the left after the impact. That is not from hard braking. If you'd have "done exactly what he did," that means you think you're as bad of a driver as you think he is. SHEESH! In this situation the driver was excellent.

The steering wheel deffinitely comes back to the left after the impact.
No argument here. It definitely moves.

That is not from hard braking.
It's not from his hands, that's for sure.

Just before impact
7409780338_8a28551e25_z.jpg

Hands on
7409779766_be020e2c31_z.jpg

And hands off.
7409779506_e8188f0c3a_z.jpg

And coming to a stop (both hands covering face):
7409779124_35b08a6b6d_z.jpg

And hand coming back down on the steering wheel
7409778766_9d8696b0a7_z.jpg

7409778156_a210f7797d_z.jpg

And back on the steering wheel
7409777704_b95a349988_z.jpg

If you'd have "done exactly what he did," that means you think you're as bad of a driver as you think he is. SHEESH! In this situation the driver was excellent.
I don't think he's a "bad driver". I just think that you can't say he's a "good driver" if he doesn't even use his hands to steer. Maybe you could say he's a good driver for bringing the car to a complete stop...:confused:

I think he reacted about the same way 99% of people would have in his situation by covering their face with both hands. In which case I think he's a great "Face Saver". :biggrin:

Last edited:
Where did the deer end up? It looked like the deer came apart and half of it ended up in his cockpit.

That must have been one heck of a cleanup afterwards. Poor guy. I would feel bad for killing the deer, and then having to pick his body parts out of the car would be pretty gross.

Yeah at first I thought he was partially inside the cabin... but if you go frame by frame, his head briefly forays into the cabin but then the whole body goes up and over the car...

That must have been one heck of a cleanup afterwards. Poor guy. I would feel bad for killing the deer, and then having to pick his body parts out of the car would be pretty gross.

Move to Phoenix! No deer running around loose in this heat. :D

must be slow days at work to get the indepth analysis on a hpde dear strike:eek: Speed should think about replacing the current F1 announcers with prime......Maybe RSO has some software that actualy can pull a vid from the deer's perspective :eek:

How can you assume he's a bad/good driver? Have any of you had a deer coming through your windshield at 100+mph? I think most of us would react by taking a hand or two off the wheel.

Back