• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BAD neighbor

I'm glad they are not my neighbors... I would probably be using State of Florida owned computers right now if they were. :eek:

I am so sorry dquarasr2 - in my quest to abbreviate and not make the post so long winded, I completely lost context. Here are the players:
wife: person that actually signed the paperwork to have my car towed (even though everyone knows that her husband pulls her strings. That way he remains free).
husband: spouse of the woman that ordered my car towed.
Owner: he owns the property/house where I parked, next door to husband & wife.
The property owner said in his deposition that the husband & wife had complete control over his property (assumably while he's out of the country) to do whatever they wished.
The TOW truck driver told the sheriff's office dispatcher that I always park in "their" driveway and they were tired of it - thus the tow.

Actually we've bought another house OUTSIDE of any HOAs and plan on moving this summer.

With just the "wife" her own attorney's fees are in excess of $7000 now. The "husband" will be served separately soon and he will be required to get his own/separate attorney (from his wife's) and that will cost him another probably $5000. In the end, it will probably end up costing wifey & husband about or around $15,000 for this tow.

Oh, too bad, soo sad! Don't Care. HE (husband) has harrassed me for more than 12 years that I've lived here. He deserves this and much more. Thinking about calling my friend with the newspaper......

Hope this is better! Sorry...

Much better, thanks Kathy. Yeah, I was a little pissy when I posted what I did, sorry for calling you out like that. Prolly shoulda PM'd you instead. I'll plead that I was under the influence of Greek adult beverages so my governor was turned off.

In any case, we are all pulling for you.

Speaking of HOAs. I live in an HOA community. A while back there were so many arbitrary and inconsistent decisions being made, especially for things like paint colors and landscaping, so much so that I ran for and was elected to the board. I helped liberalize the choices for homeowners so they could personalize their homes, and tried to influence approval of most requests, as long as they could pass inspections and were safe.

Being an HOA board member is an absolutely thankless job. I did it for a year and vowed I would not run again. I have been asked numerous times to come back and become a board member, but no way, at least not until I am retired and don't have work frustrations to add to those being a board member would bring.

Best of luck, Kathy.

Last edited:
Small update - Received a letter from the tow company's attorney along with an affidavit from each of the men that towed my car; one being the owner. The attorney said that the tow company is no longer in business (surprising) and they never advertised in any yellow page or internet ad. Contrary to her deposition where she stated she found them in the yellow pages. One affidavit said that the lady that ordered the tow NEVER went and looked for the owner or made any attempt to contact the owner (me) prior to the tow. The second affidavit said that they informed her that per state statute, they were not allowed to tow the vehicle as far as his tow yard was and he informed her that it was more than 45 miles away. She told him she didn't care and that I park there all the time and she's sick of it. I can assure you and anyone else (and my OTHER neighbors will attest to it) that I have NEVER, EVER parked there in my life. Why would I? Why would I take out my car from my garage and move it 3 houses down and leave it someone else's driveway without extenuating circumstances? Very odd. Motion for dismissal hearing scheduled in a couple of weeks. We'll see...

Sorry for the delay in no replies, there was a huge issue with my ISP and I wasn't able to post. Anyway, since last - we had a hearing on their part to dismiss the suit. Court denied it. The judge did say that this is taking way too long and to get on with either a case management hearing or mediation. The other side has scheduled my deposition for next month. After that I really don't know what else they would need and hopefully we can move straight along to mediation and get this handled. Everything has fallen into place and I don't know what else we can exchange in order to finalize this, but you never know. I don't think he'll ever succumb to give up, unless made to. Hopefully we can move him to, and soon. It's getting close to a year.

Go to Barnes & Noble, pull a subscription postcard out of every magazine on the racks and have a friend fill each one out (so the handwriting can't be traced back to you) with the neighbor's name and address.

Posting his car for sale at a bargain basement price on Craigslist (via a proxy server of course) would also prove to be quite annoying for the nasty neighbor.

I have many other suggestions but these two should get you off to a good start.

Don't get mad, get even. :)

:smile:

^My friend once placed a CL ad for a free trampoline with my ph# on it. My phone rang NONSTOP. I had no idea that many people searched for trampolines.

I think we are overdue for an update Kathy.... hopefully you have good news on an outcome!

Update -- They did my deposition. Their attorney didn't show, some other person filled in. I'm not sure if he knew what was going on or not. He was pretty laid back. He asked some really bizarre questions. Questions that had absolutely nothing to do with what his client did. It lasted about 90 minutes. It's absolutely ridiculous. Anyway, my attorney filed a motion for summary judgment. He told me that once he filled that, they'd talk negotiation. The hearing for the judgment is in February. I haven't heard anything from him since, probably because of the holidays. I told him I wanted $1,000,000. He said - is that all? I also want the deed to his house so I can bulldoze it. He thought that was funny. Funny? I was serious. These people sent a public information request to my employer asking for every single thing on my computer, my emails, my salary, my vacation, my time off - everything. Because I work (worked!) for the government, we're (now THEY are) open to public info requests. I'm really tired of their torment and harassment.

wow...did not hear about the PIR to your employer. did this cost you your job too?

The PIR was part of their reasoning for termination, along with my avid disagreement with their eliminating my position. They said that I made it sound like it was a hostile work environment because I told others that they eliminated my position. They did offer me a sublevel position as a 'clerk' which was at least 9 levels below where I was. The said that they couldn't justify my fulltime position due to my low case load. BUT, my case load had been the absolute same average for the past 12 years AND we'd just been approved for a much higher budget - woohoo, so we got cars! Apparently my position was fine while we were in cheap mode (like no raises or cost of living x 8 years), but we get approval for increase in our budget and now they can't justify mine and another guy down the hall's position. They replaced both of us with one part-time position........ It's all political and my neighbor just gave them another reason. :( I wish they'd just leave me alone now to get another job and quite the nastiness when potential new employers call....... I'm being bitter. It's only been 6 months, so far.

wow... unreal... so yeah, $1 mil sounds more and more reasonable.

I live in an HOA gated community and attend Board meetings but am not a Board member. The HOA is going to institute a "tow policy" for vehicles parked on the street in the near future but have not yet crafted the language for the policy, but it is going to take about 15 separate steps before a car would be a candidate for towing which would include a visit by law enforcement preceded by numerous letters and warnings. An HOA does not have any authority to tow a vehicle off of private property. All of our roads are private but the community has a contract with law enforcement to patrol our streets and enforce moving violations, etc. It will be interesting to see what policy they come up with. It is written in the covenants that there is no parking on the street except for certain circumstances because the roads are narrow and won't accommodate parked vehicles. It is usually just a few that ruin it for the rest of us--people that habitually park on the street with an empty driveway, making traffic stop when a car is coming from the other direction. A few people think they can do whatever they want and could care less how it effects their neighbors and think ANY rules even in an HOA are an infringement on their rights, even after they have signed the agreement, but most are laid back and don't raise any problems.

We have the same rules here, very ambiguous. You cannot park on the street overnight. What exactly is overnight? Anyway, simplife - my car was NOT parked on the street, it was in a neighbor's driveway. A person who is only here about 3 weeks out of the year. Otherwise he's in one of his other homes in the Netherlands or Spain. He was not in the country when I parked there and it was only for the day. He is just a trouble maker and loves to cause problems. Last year he 'reported' another neighbor that he had swapped out his lights on each side of his garage door for black ones. The ones the developer installed, were white. The folks that own that particular home are attorneys in NYC. The master assoc. wrote them a letter and said they did not get prior approval and they did not match what was there previously and they ordered them to remove and replace the white ones. The didn't. They too are here only a few weeks out of the year. Then they started fining them, like $50/day. Since they are attorneys, they do not have legal costs in this fiasco. Since the fool's original complaint, this community has paid in excess of $17K in legal fees with these people over these lights. This neighbor is one of the worst people I have ever met and just causes problems from the moment he awakens until the next day when he awakens and does it all over again. He is a coward though. That is why when he had my car towed 45 miles north, he had his wife do it.

Well, signed the settlement agreement papers last week. All is over. SO - in the end, he has to stroke me a check for $13,500! AND he's paid his attorney more than $15,000!!! Do we think he'll ever do it again, or something similar? Probably not - but he will continue to run his mouth, just can't help himself. Granted 90% of all proceeds will go to my attorney, but that's fine, don't care. Just wanted him to write a check with MY name on it and for as much as we could and we did! Hopefully I can sell this house soon and get out of here. Upon my leaving though, every time I pass his house - oddly enough, sunflowers, pumpkins, and I think watermelons are growing in his front yard! It's an odd sight! Oh and I heard the mail-lady say - that he gets the oddest magazines constantly!

nice win Kathy! nice to end the saga and get some closure. Hopefully you can rub it in his face from time to time as well and get some evil satisfaction too!

Awesome.

I'd rather meet a

PIT BULL in an alley :eek:

than mess with Kathy94NSX :smile: :smile: :smile:

Justice is served! Glad he got what was coming to him.

When my wife and I were looking for our home, I flat out told our realtor "If the home is in a neighborhood with Covenants, don't bother even showing it to us. I've got loud cars, loud dogs (who I am responsible about and don't let bark constantly) and a diesel truck I'll let idle for a half hour before I drive it in the winter. All of my friends drive heavily modified vehicles and we like to barbecue and throw a few back. I would piss every high strung neighbor off in a heartbeat"

Well, I want to thank everyone for your support during this past 16 months. These 2 have been a major thorn in mine, as well as everyone's side and I'm really, REALLY glad I was able, or the ONE to put them into their place. When it came down to him signing the agreement, he asked that there be a confidentiality clause put in - probably so I didn't tell everyone. Well too bad. In that case, we'll go to court for the hearing and let the judge be the one to make the settlement. He quickly changed his mind and signed the papers. I now make it a point to tell everyone. Actually if I could afford to blow up the check to put it in my front yard, I would! What a miserable experience he has made my life here. Hopefully next posts - will be more pleasant! :biggrin:

Back