• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spongy brakes

So this weekend I took my car on a road trip and as we were getting ready to leave, it started raining. I have iron brakes not CC. I was low on gas, took my time and drove the majority of the way home, probably 30-40 miles in quiet mode. Not really pouring but just raining. When I hit the NJ turnpike I switched to Sport and noticed the brakes were super spongy. So much so as I pulled up to some slower traffic, I had to really press on them to the point where they locked up. Always fun lol. It was even worse in traffic and in quiet mode. After that, I simply tried to further distance myself from the cars ahead but they were really soft and totally not confidence inspiring. Anyone else experience this?

New owner here, so not much experience, but did you find before your brake system got spongy, that you had much longer pedal travel than expected in the NSX (compared to other cars)?

New owner here, so not much experience, but did you find before your brake system got spongy, that you had much longer pedal travel than expected in the NSX (compared to other cars)?

It was never an issue before, I was assuming it had something to do with driving in Quiet mode for an extended period of time. I drove up on Saturday night over 2 hours with no issues at all. Brakes were grippy and perfect.

I don’t believe that the various drive modes impact braking. Given you were driving in the rain there is a lot of debris on the road that is composed of tire material, oils, etcetera. Perhaps your rotors and pads were dealing with this. You did say it just started to rain. So likely the contamination from the road impacted the pad’s ability to bite the rotors. Water does not compress, and must escape so that the pads can contact the rotor surface. Any oil would lube the surface.

Back