• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

baschboost website?

OK, so I just bought a used bbsc(I couldnt pass up the deal) and I will need some help and advice on installing it and if I am missing any pieces/parts. It seems the website is down, is there anywhere else? The unit is a novi 1000 w/ss box. I know I will need AEM and an aftercooler. What else? I am not looking to push any more than 7-8psi(pulley size??), but I would like to hit the 400 mark. I already have I/H/E. Maybe I'll use my nitrous setup to cool the IC? Do I have to change my crank pulley/harmonic balancer? I read somewhere that it doesnt work with the oem piece? I'm doing lots of searching on the topic, but man its ALOT to sift through. I dont know of any shops anywhere close to south Mississippi that would have experience with this system, sooooo it looks like I'll be doing this one myself. I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, so it shouldnt be too bad. Thanks--Brett

I have the install manual somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

First off, congrats on your purchase. Not to be negative, but don't bother with the Baschboost website. I don't think it has ever been updated once since the day it was launched. Second, I'd recommend talking to Devin @ Payne for knowledge and support. He has been very helpful to me and knows the system very well.

ALIENT

SNDSOUL said:
OK, so I just bought a used bbsc(I couldnt pass up the deal) and I will need some help and advice on installing it and if I am missing any pieces/parts. It seems the website is down, is there anywhere else? The unit is a novi 1000 w/ss box. I know I will need AEM and an aftercooler. What else? I am not looking to push any more than 7-8psi(pulley size??), but I would like to hit the 400 mark. I already have I/H/E. Maybe I'll use my nitrous setup to cool the IC? Do I have to change my crank pulley/harmonic balancer? I read somewhere that it doesnt work with the oem piece? I'm doing lots of searching on the topic, but man its ALOT to sift through. I dont know of any shops anywhere close to south Mississippi that would have experience with this system, sooooo it looks like I'll be doing this one myself. I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, so it shouldnt be too bad. Thanks--Brett

I'm not sure. But I have seen some posts from him on here. I haven't talked to him in a while, but he was VERY proactive in helping me when I needed his help.

You can always PM me and I'll try to help where I can. I am working with another person on some aftercooler designs, so hit me up if you wanna share info.

inetrcooler... not after cooler...ya do not drive a mustang, they are the only ones that use an "aftercooler" whcich for argument is typicall an air to liquid intercooler. you will be air to air.
you need to find out what the CFM of the novi 1000 will be. 600 CFM at intake to 400 hp but what will the novi be flowing, it may take more than the 7-8 pounds you speak of with that SC, i would guess, 10 pounds to make that SC hit your 400 goal.

Payn is still open but Devin is now with AEM. Don't you have a 97 NSX which is OBD 2? If you do, there is no AEM available and you are stuck using the SS box or you will have to use the HKS FCON. If you do need the HKS FCON, you will need to find the local HKS PRO dealer since they are the only ones with the software necessary to program the unit. Lastly, if they tell you that there is no harness, have them call HKS and also make sure you call around and find out the real cost. Local quoted me over a thousand more than retail and that was without installation. Tim

01blacks4 said:
inetrcooler... not after cooler...ya do not drive a mustang, they are the only ones that use an "aftercooler" whcich for argument is typicall an air to liquid intercooler. you will be air to air.
you need to find out what the CFM of the novi 1000 will be. 600 CFM at intake to 400 hp but what will the novi be flowing, it may take more than the 7-8 pounds you speak of with that SC, i would guess, 10 pounds to make that SC hit your 400 goal.

You know what I meant, who cares what its called. Heres the novi 1000 info
CFM 850
Max Horsepower 500
External Scroll Diameter 9.0"
Front to Back Thickness 6"
Intake External Diameter 3.25"
Intake Internal Diameter 2.90"
Discharge External Diameter 3.0"
Discharge Internal Diameter

I've called them intercoolers and have been corrected, I've called them aftercoolers and have been corrected. I wish there was some definitive answer as to what to call them. If you have it, please post your source. I'll call it whatever is correct. :biggrin:

So SNDSOL, are you looking to do air:air or air:water?

I'm also interested in adding the HKS Racing Bypass valve (Blowoff/bypass/popoff, whatever the name is today :biggrin: ) for a better sound and a max pressure spring for safety.

01blacks4 said:

aftercooler seems to be "termed" by Paxton to sound different. These are the only people who make coolers that have ever used this name, that I can remember seeing anyway.

A blowoff and popoff are the same, they vent to the outside. A bypass valve recirculats the vented pressure back into the intake system

VW and Audi almost always use bypass, seems like most others use blowoff.

01blacks4 said:
No, he will not necessarily be air to air. There are bbsc's out there with air to water coolers. Prepare yourself for an aftercooler/intercooler definition lesson, because I feel one coming. :biggrin:

ALIENT said:
I've called them intercoolers and have been corrected, I've called them aftercoolers and have been corrected. I wish there was some definitive answer as to what to call them. If you have it, please post your source. I'll call it whatever is correct. :biggrin:

So SNDSOL, are you looking to do air:air or air:water?

I'm also interested in adding the HKS Racing Bypass valve (Blowoff/bypass/popoff, whatever the name is today :biggrin: ) for a better sound and a max pressure spring for safety.

I'm going to use an air to air mounted on top on the motor with a hatch scoop, ala Gerry J. Probably go with the Greddy Type RS BOV b/c I have heard they gave reliable boost bleed and they are loud :biggrin: Cant wait for the PHSSSS sound.

I have Devin's old air:water setup and it works great. I have intake temps monitored with autotap using OBD II monitoring and the stock IAT sensor and have never seen temps over 130, even on hot day with multiple pulls. search "woodys nsx" for article and pictures. I have been an active participant in my project and have learned alot. I think the brain trust of BBSC knowledge here on prime can help you get setup and running no problem. I am running 9 lbs at manifold am at approx 405 rwhp with low comp rebuild. with standard compression I think you will get your peak 400 hp with 8 lbs. you will need 500 or 550 injectors.
BTW factor x will install and tune your car with the hks for $2700

I would call Basch direct since you will definitely need to exchange your OEM harmonically balanced pulley for an aftermarket one. i think it's 480 968 8010.
WHy didn't the kit come with one?

You can also source the aftercooler from MB. I think i paid $2200 in parts including the front mount heat exchanger, all piping, and fluid pump. I personally like to Gerry johnson look myself, but didn't want a big hatch scoop like he has. At least it would save you the fabrication stuff, and give a previously tested design from a fitment standpoint. You may need the volute rotated on the novi, however.

SNDSOUL said:
You know what I meant, who cares what its called. Heres the novi 1000 info
CFM 850
Max Horsepower 500
External Scroll Diameter 9.0"
Front to Back Thickness 6"
Intake External Diameter 3.25"
Intake Internal Diameter 2.90"
Discharge External Diameter 3.0"
Discharge Internal Diameter

Here is some additional Novi 1000 info. I plotted my cars usage of a Novi
1000 compressor map versus a Novi 2000 map the other night to see how
they compared.

novi1000map_medium_plotted.JPG

-mike

Intercooler / Aftercooler

01blacks4 said:

Bullshit.....it is an aftercooler, regardless of what car you drive and regardless if it is air-to-air or air-to-water.

Intercooler = cooling between stages of compression.

Aftercooler = cooling after the last stage (even if only one stage) of compression.

These are industry terms. Don't believe me, go to tema.org and you will find links to other heat exchanger websites that will back me up.

PS - your spelling sucks......so do my manners. :smile:

Instructions

SNDSOUL - go to baschboost.org and look in the folders called "tuning". Search for a long post by me on how I tuned my water-to-air aftercooled Novi 2000 to yield perfect air-fuel ratio at 10 PSI and 12 PSI.

At 8 PSI untuned my car made 383 RWHP.

Pulling all six plugs a few weeks ago showed them to be a uniform tan color on the ceramic insulators. This is the best indicator (even more so than a wide-band O2 sensor, in my opinion) that the fuel map and the timing map is safe.

If you cannot find that thread on baschboost.org, do a search here. Somebody cross-posted it to here approximately last Summer.

You do not have to have the AEM. The second generation SS will work just fine. In fact, unless you are an expert tuner with AEM, my not-so-humble opinion is that the AEM has too many features that could be overwhelming for the average schmoe.

At 8 PSI, my pulley was 4.1" diameter.

Regarding the harmonic balancer issue.....this is as emotional as boxers vs briefs, intercooler vs aftercooler :smile: gray vs grey, coupe vs targa, etc. MB replaces the factory harmonic balancer with a solid aluminum hub. Some will argue this is a bad decision, because Mother Honda installed a harmonic balancer on the car from the factory for a reason. Several BBSC'ed NSX'ers have had their factory harmonic balancer modified to accept the additional width of the SC belt. On the other hand, the vast majority of the BBSC'ed NSX'ers still run the aluminum hub with no known reports of crankshaft failure.

Last edited:
And until this forum, I've never heard them called intercoolers......this implies there are multiple stages of compression, which there is not on the NSX forced induction engine.

It is like calling all carbonated cola beverages a "Coke" and we all know that is not right, right?

Man Andy, I conceded above that I was wrong, yet you still jump all over me? That’s kind of lame don’t ya think. It was even your past post that was used to clarify. Look one post up from yours and you will see I admitted the error of my ways.
I WILL NEVER CALL IT AN INTERCOOLER AGAIN.

(only 96 more times to write that)

And yeah I had some spelling issues in that post, but it is not grammar issue, it is a dexterity issue, I can’t type. And your manners are not that bad.....just every other post :)

Back