• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery charger

I just garaged mine for the winter. Does it have to be "driven" every 3 months or can I just start it and let it "idle" in Sport + mode for 15-30 min.?

Put a high quality battery tender on it and forget about it. ( 12V battery only)
If the EV battery is at 100%, it will be at 90+ after 3 months.
I check mine after 4 months and it is still fine.
If you want to charge the EV battery, no need to drive it, just let it idle in Sport +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning to install CTEK similar to Pat (video above). Rather than closing the front hood, I was leaning towards leaving the hood ajar to allow power cord to not be crunched up against the seal. Is it OK to leave the hood ajar?

I was also thinking about routing the power cord through the front window as there seems to be a fairly large opening between the cowl and windshield (by the wipers).

Thanks

CTEK sells a direct unit that connects to the battery and then can be run where ever you want. I ran it through the front intake so it does not require opening the hood. I guess you could run it up near the wipers. You would need to secure it so that it did not impact the wipers. As for the hood being left open, I do not believe there is a problem in doing that. There are no lights that come on when the hood is opened.

I am planning to install CTEK similar to Pat (video above). Rather than closing the front hood, I was leaning towards leaving the hood ajar to allow power cord to not be crunched up against the seal. Is it OK to leave the hood ajar?

I was also thinking about routing the power cord through the front window as there seems to be a fairly large opening between the cowl and windshield (by the wipers).

Thanks

5e89f67d5ca58a3e0630bc0554dc7ef3.jpg

Surprising that Acura’s official charging solution requires an owner to slam the cord in the passenger door or keep the window rolled down. Attaching the charger directly to the battery seems like a no-brainer in this situation.

Last edited:
Surprising that Acura’s official charging solution requires an owner to slam the cord in the passenger door or keep the window rolled down. Attaching the charger directly to the battery seems like a no-brainer in this situation.

It's fine. I have that charger and there is enough of a gap in the rubber molding on the door to accommodate the cord. In fact, when the door is shut, I can easily move the cord in and out of the car.

Put a high quality battery tender on it and forget about it. ( 12V battery only)
If the EV battery is at 100%, it will be at 90+ after 3 months.
I check mine after 4 months and it is still fine.
If you want to charge the EV battery, no need to drive it, just let it idle in Sport +.

I have the dealer installed NSX/CTEK charger. Was more concerned about the EV battery. But it sounds like I can just idle the car to keep that one charged..

Do you have any pictures from the top as to how the wire runs from the battery to the intake? Also, do you just leave the wires there throughout the year? Thanks
I connected to the battery positive and the chassis, ran the wire along the existing wiring harness, dressed and through the same hole the exterior temp sensor wires run.
permanent install. The connector just tucks up inside the car front intake when not in use. Not to be seen.

Here is a pic that shows the route I took from the battery to the front of the car. The other pic is the end of the accessory where you can plug in your charger cord. It has a cover when not being used. I used double backed tape. While the pic shows the red wire, it generally is not very visible when standing next to the car. What is nice about this CTEK accessory is that it flashes the voltage condition of the battery. Green is everything is good. Yellow means the voltage has dropped under 12 volts and red means you need to connect the charger as the voltage is low.

Attachments

• 05BB58F0-9E3A-4C4B-A6E4-B0BDFB9BC1D0.jpg
    05BB58F0-9E3A-4C4B-A6E4-B0BDFB9BC1D0.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 131
  • FDDA54AA-BC47-4D38-99F9-180BC675BA17.jpg
    FDDA54AA-BC47-4D38-99F9-180BC675BA17.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 128
Just letting it run in Sport+ should be fine.

The winter wheels and tires are going on mine Monday.

Phoey on putting it away for the winter.

Here is a pic that shows the route I took from the battery to the front of the car. The other pic is the end of the accessory where you can plug in your charger cord. It has a cover when not being used. I used double backed tape. While the pic shows the red wire, it generally is not very visible when standing next to the car. What is nice about this CTEK accessory is that it flashes the voltage condition of the battery. Green is everything is good. Yellow means the voltage has dropped under 12 volts and red means you need to connect the charger as the voltage is low.

I have a couple of those ctek smart connectors on two other cars, (S2000 and NA1 NSX). Both, the LEDs stopped working.
CTEK acknowledged they have issues with them, but no replacement or further support offered.

That is interesting that the LEDs died. I have had mine on the car for a good year now with no problems. The unit that goes inside our cars underneath the glove box also has a yellow led. It only flashes when the battery drops below 12 volts. It is also made by CTEK for Acura. I imagine it is a small chip and chips can be sensitive to extreme heat and moisture-typical of an automotive environment.

I connected to the battery positive and the chassis, ran the wire along the existing wiring harness, dressed and through the same hole the exterior temp sensor wires run.
permanent install. The connector just tucks up inside the car front intake when not in use. Not to be seen.

you inspired me to redo the wiring. Originally I did not want to cut the wires as feeding that big connector would have required a big hole. I did in fact cut the wire and ran it down between the radiator and condenser. It worked out nicely. Thanks.

I finally got under the winter cover to take some pictures of the CTEK Harper cable install.
From the battery to the front of the car through the ambient temp sensor grommet access to the front of the car ground to chassis.
9aad6de44fd9e1aca343e6ff5a6f58e9.jpg

I noticed this in the manual:

"If possible, remove the vehicle from the garage or enclosed area, remove
covering, and periodically run the engine until it reaches full operating
temperature (the cooling fan cycles on and off twice).
Preferably, do this once a month."

Doesn't sound like it's required but do you guys do this in Northern climate? How long do you have to run the car to reach operating temperature if it's near freezing outside?

I noticed this in the manual:

"If possible, remove the vehicle from the garage or enclosed area, remove
covering, and periodically run the engine until it reaches full operating
temperature (the cooling fan cycles on and off twice).
Preferably, do this once a month."

Doesn't sound like it's required but do you guys do this in Northern climate? How long do you have to run the car to reach operating temperature if it's near freezing outside?

My experience is start it once every three months is plenty.

Back