• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Battery Charging

I just charged my battery. I followed the owner's manual and used the terminal located in the fuse block (under the black plastic cover) for the positive connection and used a bolt on the engine for the ground.

Worked fine.

It seems like they don't want you to use the terminals on the battery directly.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I installed an aftermarket battery 'tender' for when the car isn't driven for a long time. I purchased it from www.carparts.com, remember to get your 15% discount for this website from www.dealcatcher.com. It was about $35, and fits in the front compartment next to the battery. Just plug it in when the car's in the garage.

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

if using a "charger" (as opposed to a "tender"), the manual (page 155 for a 1993 car) suggests that you: "do it outside the car. Do not connect a battery charger to the jump start terminal in the engine compartment fuse box."

furthermore it says...
"NOTICE: charging the battery with the cables connected can seriously damange your car's electronic controls. Detach the battery cables before connecting the battery to a charger"

######################

This all sounds reasonable, as traditional "charger" units can occasionally introduce surges that can damage car electronics.

######################

I have a battery tender from Deltran hooked up to my car -- directly to the battery. The (+) terminal is disconnected using a quick-disconnect switch. Is this correct, or do folks run tenders with the battery connected ?? (keeps clock, radio memory intact, if you care about such things)

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 26 January 2002).]

I have a battery tender from Deltran hooked up to my car -- directly to the battery. The (+) terminal is disconnected using a quick-disconnect switch. Is this correct, or do folks run tenders with the battery connected ?? (keeps clock, radio memory intact, if you care about such things)

Mine is also hooked up to the battery. I do not have a disconnect switch; I run mine with the battery connected.

I need to charge my battery. I was going to charge the battery from the terminals in the engine bay with the battery connected. Has anyone had any bad experiences from doing it this way?

Pic of battery charger:

yhst-85105415359236_1924_1682540

I belive that they instruct you to charge the battery at the terminals in the engine block because usually there is no easy access to the battery thru the front hood. Most people would have to remove there spare tire to get to it and even then there is the slight but not really obstruction of the tire bracket.

I keep my battery hooked up while I charge it with a typical battery charger on a 2ma trickle for about 4 hrs a day, on timer. The drain in my car requires about 2 hrs of 2ma per day to keep it at 100%.

The terminals are easy to get at with the tire still in there I find.

I would disconnect the battery, but I would lose my alarm and it is important to me that that stays on.

cojones said:

[This message has been edited by cojones (edited 26 January 2002).]

It's absolutely safe to connect your Battery Tender while the cables are still connected.

I know it's too late now but in the future if your battery is dead you should start to charge it at 2 amps or less for the first few hours. Low amps is easier on the battery.

My other car wouldn't start although it did turn over for a couple of revs. I left it sitting another week with the alarm set and the batteries went dead to the point that it lost all electrical settings. The total amps on the batteries are 110 but a 1.25 amp charger left on it for 24 hours enabled it to start.

Back