• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBSC and C.A.R.B. Approval

The last time I spoke to MB on this topic, he was still trying to work out the logistics of getting a car to the CARB guys. You see, the problem is that they want to be able to keep the car for up to 6 months to complete the testing certification at their own schedule. This requirement imposes a big commitment on a small tuner like MB but I guess he'll figure out how to get it done.

In the interim, I suspect that it may not be difficult to get it through CA smog... hope I'm not wrong. First, the Paxton SC that is being used by MB is directly from Paxton's Ford Mustang allocation.... which is a CARB-approved kit. As such, the SC itself has an "Executive Order" (EO) number stamped plainly on it which certifies that the SC is CARB-compliant device. AFAIK, there is nothing that ties that EO number to a specific vehicle (the Mustang), so I think that the BBSC will pass the visual inspection.

Regarding the actual test - this is the thing that is really pretty silly in CA. All of the testing parameters are with the car in closed-loop mode. Specifically, the car is at rpm and throttle levels where it is relying upon its O2 sensors and is able to achieve ideal 14.7:1 a/f numbers. (I have verified this.)

All this to say, that the BBSC smog-compliancy issue is not simply black and white. It may very well pass in today's configuration.

This is from the CARB site:

Exempted parts are add-on or modified parts that have undergone an ARB engineering evaluation. If the part or modification is shown to not increase vehicle emissions, it is granted an exemption to emission control system anti-tampering laws. This exemption is called an Executive Order (EO) and allows the modification to be installed on specific emission controlled vehicles.

If you further check the site, it appears that the SC approval is on a per kit/specified vehicle basis. You can't mix/match approved parts from various kits and assume deem it exempted.

Executive Summary: you'll probably pass tailpipe emissions, but you're probably not CA HW legal yet. Some of the other mods, e.g., bigger fuel injectors & piggyback controller will probably require exemption as part of the SC kit as well.

how the heck would CA inspection stations know if you had replaced fuel injectors and computers? i always hear about CARB and how bad inspections are in cali, but it seems pretty insane. around here, the friggin inspection stations think the dali coolant overflow bottle is nitrous (i am NOT kidding, i've been asked this at least half dozen times, even from mechanics at a honda dealership). i havent had cats since i bought the car almost 4 years ago (they came in the trunk instead of on the car), and the car has passed visual inspection every time (nobody knows the car or knows what to look for and with the car's reputation, i think these shops are EXPECTING to find something different so when they dont see cats, they must say to themselves, ah... its an NSX, honda probably does something weird and different). at least thats all i can think of :p.

so, how do cali inspection stations really know when something has been modified, are the people there really all that good?

so, how do cali inspection stations really know when something has been modified, are the people there really all that good?

Just the other day, a friend failed TWO visual inspections!!! He could not believe it! Station one failed it because the mechanic does not have the book of certified after-market parts with him. Station two failed it because the CARB exempt number on his exhaust ended with a digit 4 instead of 2 in his book! OMG!!! The mechanic admitted that he's certain the unit will probably pass the actual emission test, but he can't risk passing his visual.

From the sound of both, you'd think someone's cracking down on them. So, I wouldn't exactly say it's all honkiedory here in California.

Then again, we decided to check out a third shop run by an older Korean man. Having been through enough BS, we decided to be up-front with him. His response was, "Is there something wrong with the car? ...ok, then No problem!" 10-min. later, CERTIFIED!HAHAH
smile.gif

Do some research before throwing money away at some unidentified smog stations. Ask around. Ask your friends. Ask other enthusiasts and sports car owners. There are plenty of spots anywhere, including Los Angeles, where many people like ourselves go to get our cars smogged. Nothing illegal. Just a quality station with a quality tech that understands aftermarket and doesn't fail cars due to their own ignorance.

Back