• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

best acura loaner?

So, the Acura dealership loaned me a 2008 TL (as usual) while my NSX is being services.

I am not too familiar with their line-up (they don't make anything I would buy today) but is there something a little sportier I should ask for?

I know it won't be an NSX :D

When it was still available the local dealer used to always give me an RSX as a loaner car. I liked that car. Thought about it seriously as a replacement for my Integra when the time came. Too bad they discontinued it by the time I was ready to get rid of the Integra. Also I was looking for economy hence the Fit. Now if Acura comes out with their own Luxo-Econo box I might be interested. Lexus is supposed to have their version of the Prius/Yaris line in the works. Keywords...supposed to. Concept and reality can be 2 very different things.

I've had an RSX a long time ago(they're nothing special at all). The norm is a nice new TL. I love those things! My Acura dealer had about 5 loaners, so I don't know that you can really ask for something different.

We have 74 loaners in service:frown: Only 07/08 cars too, MDX's, RL's, TSX's, TL's and RDX's but they all say "Loaner Car" on the back. :redface:

Acura doesn't sell a sports car or even anything I would describe as "sporty". The TL has the Type S version with a lot of horsepower and, with the 6-speed they would never have in a loaner, it's about the sportiest thing they sell. The TSX (sedan) is slightly smaller than the TL. The RL (sedan) is bigger than the TL. And they sell two sport utility vehicles, the smaller RDX which has a turbo (but it's still an SUV) and the larger MDX. That's their current lineup. They're all nice cars, and offer good value as well as performance, reliability, etc., but sporty, they're not.

Acura doesn't sell a sports car or even anything I would describe as "sporty". The TL has the Type S version with a lot of horsepower and, with the 6-speed they would never have in a loaner, it's about the sportiest thing they sell. The TSX (sedan) is slightly smaller than the TL. The RL (sedan) is bigger than the TL. And they sell two sport utility vehicles, the smaller RDX which has a turbo (but it's still an SUV) and the larger MDX. That's their current lineup. They're all nice cars, and offer good value as well as performance, reliability, etc., but sporty, they're not.

We had an older TL 6 speed loaner car but no one ever wanted it, so we later sold it as a dealer demo:wink:

I'd get the TSX. It's good on gas and kind of fun in the 6 speed manual.
As Mike indicated, it's doubtful that any dealer will keep a manual transmission car around as a loaner. Not that many people even know how to drive a stick, and even those who do, might not want to do so in many circumstances.

We have 25 loaner cars. All are automatics and all are 08's. We have at least a few of every model. If you are just wanting it as a loaner and looking for the fun factor, I'd probably go with an RDX first and a TL-S second.

I second the rdx loaner,don't let the suv exterior fool you, I had fun with it.

So far, I have to say the 2008 TL is disappointing.

I'm not sure if its this one, or in general (compared to the 2006/2007 TL's I've used) but it has some annoying issues.

The automatic is especially bad (hunting gears), the throttle is fairly bad (non-linear, bad tip-in) and the doors close themselves on the slightest incline if they are not held right on the stop.

So far, I have to say the 2008 TL is disappointing.

I'm not sure if its this one, or in general (compared to the 2006/2007 TL's I've used) but it has some annoying issues.

The automatic is especially bad (hunting gears), the throttle is fairly bad (non-linear, bad tip-in) and the doors close themselves on the slightest incline if they are not held right on the stop.

This is an issue know with the TL-S, but not with the regular TL's (gear hunting). Maybe the previous driver drove really slow and the TL just adapted to that, and you tried to drive like you stole it, and was trying to learn what you wanted to do. Yes the TL does adapt to driving styles. As far as the doors, issue with all the tl's since the doors are solid and heavy, and the door stops are not strong enough to hold them on inclines.

Dad got a TL loaner when the RL was in for it's back up cam, and rear deck spoiler.

The loaner was pretty nice, and was the only 3rd gen TL I had ever been in. I liked it so much I bought one. :D I have no regrets. The TL is the best car I have ever owned (Dad owns the NSX :) )

Philip

Back