• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best PDA

I am in search for a PDA that have Blue tooth (t oconnect to cell phones) and GPS (Navigation) so I can use it in the NSX:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Any suggestions are welcome.

Treo 650 (on the cheap as the new Treo 700 is out) + a $100 GPS + TomTom software = not being lost.
I will post some my review and pix when I return from this long road trip.

GeNSX

I've had the ipaq3650 and the ipaq5555. I used and loved them both. Now they collect dust because i have a sprint ppc-6700(made by audiovox) i like having a close to full range PDA and a cell phone. I hear good things about the hx470 too. try these websites. they are the"prime" of PDA's.

www.davesipaq.com
www.pocketpcmag.com

Well, I had a Sony P900 for almost 2 years now, and it works for me, but the size is getting to me to use as phone, I want to go slim and light weight for the phone and get a PDA with bluetooth and Wi-Fi so I can get online and get GPS, I can do GPS with the Sony too, but will not be convinence to use both phone and GPS at the same time. That is why I'm looking to get a PDA that can do GPS.

Having worked with Palms and iPAQ's, if you want a 'real' PDA get a Palm. iPAQ's may run Windows Mobile which has many advantages, but they don't match the quality of a Palm Pilot IMHO.

Of course in the interest of preventing a heated debate, these are just my opinions based on experience. Please read <A HREF="http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63245">my disclaimer</A>. :D

Does Garmin still make the iQue? it had built in GPS, not sure if it had built in wifi, but you can always add a wifi sd card. I would also second the above recommendations of using the Palm OS, its bulletproof. I've been using my Clie for 3 years now and have had no glitches or crashes. I wish Sony still made them....

Sorry to hijack you thread James, but does anyone have experience with DeLorme GPS? It works with a blue tooth equipt PDA. And it logs the locations, time and speed of the vehicle.
http://www.delorme.com/bluelogger/
bluelogger_large.gif

It'd be a good product to have when my kids are ready to drive.

I had the iQue and thought it sucked. GPS took forever to track, kept shutting off to conserve battery, kept falling off the dash. But if you want to get one, overstock.com has them. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=1171404

After the iQue, I went to the Magellan Roadmates (both 500 and 700). Really liked the interface. Had some intermittent issues with the sound cutting on and off.

Had to buy a new one recently b/c I recently moved to a different city that has a new highway that didn't show up on the old maps. Rather than spending $100 to upgrade the maps, I bought a Garmin i series. It's small, has a good price point (<$400), can use batteries and has a rock solid mount. Small screen and inability to view miles remaining (displays estimated time of arrival) while tracking are only drawbacks.

Neo - Do you know of any good finance apps?
I was looking at Pocket Quicken which seems great for $35, but requires the regular desktop version of Quicken too - another $40 :mad:

Had a Palm Tungsten C. Loved it. Slid under NSX seat and got crushed when I moved the seat forward!!! So, bought a Palm Lifedrive. Piece of crap!!!! I've sent it in 3 times for repairs in 5 months. It's got a lot of memory (4GB hard drive) but it is very quirky and apparently a lot of people have had problems as evidenced by the palm support website. There are a lot of unhappy customers. Would not recommend it!!!!

I have had an iQue since they were first introduced 2(?) years ago. Unlike WeakestLink I have been quite happy with mine. The battery life is a problem if using it as a portable device with full screen brightness. However, when I use it in the car I keep it in the car cradle (custom mounted - do a search on these forums for iQue installation under my user name to see photos). IF it is on the cradle the unit will stay on indefinitely (hours, days, weeks, etc).

The voice navigation on the Garmin iQue is pretty much the same as other Garmin offerings. I find the GPS to be more intuitive in use than the OEM GPS system in my Infiniti G35 coupe.

The screen is "small" compared to OEM navi systems but on par with many of the aftermarket on-dash offerings. I find the vertical (portrait) orientation of the iQue GPS screen to make more sense than the more common (landscape) orientation of most GPS units.

One major drawback is no wireless (bluetooth or WiFi) capability. Perhaps with an add on device but not out of the box.

beeker16 said:
Neo - Do you know of any good finance apps?
I was looking at Pocket Quicken which seems great for $35, but requires the regular desktop version of Quicken too - another $40 :mad:

No sorry.

I would start on a PDA awards thread like <A HREF="http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category_all_2004.asp">this one</A> and work backward from there.... check them out yourself and try any demo versions.

Quicken is expensive, but it appears to be the best.

Back