• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best way to do Nurburgring while on vacation

I'll be in the Rhine valley during April on a trip and I'd love to experience the Nurburgring. My wife is 100% on board with adjusting our trip to make it work. :cool: My first choice is to just take a ride in the BMW ring taxi - but they are booked and aren't releasing more tickets until April.:frown: I'm also not super keen on renting a ring prepped car and doing a lap solo - just because it's such a complex track. Can anyone help me out? Better still, any Euorpean NSX ringers out there? I'll pay for your laps. :biggrin:

There are more services than just the BMW Ring Taxi, although I can't speak to their availability or even the full extent of what exists.

To be completely honest, my best laps have been with random people I met there and just started conversations with. You will always find a friendly Brit to talk to if nothing else! That certainly all relies on chance, though, and isn't ideal for a one-time shot. My buddy started a conversation with a German who owned two race-prepped C6 Z06's (one yellow, one black/orange). He was not only well-off, but an amazing driver. They lapped in what was approximately 8:40. One day I ran into a convoy of five BMW M3 CSLs from the UK. One Ferrari owner abandoned showing off his car to come see my NA2 NSX. He had never seen one in person and was like a child. You never know what you will find.

I would gladly take you around, but I will be away from home and on the other side of Germany from late March to early May. Sorry! If I find anything else out, I'll let you know.

jstratm,
Do you know which rental places are good? Is rent-racecar.de decent?
I NEED to do Nurburgring but I want to do it solo. I really want to spend a full day on it. Any other advise or things we should know?

Last edited:
To be completely honest, my best laps have been with random people I met there and just started conversations with. You will always find a friendly Brit to talk to if nothing else! That certainly all relies on chance, though, and isn't ideal for a one-time shot.

+1 I have been successful with this approach in the past.

Before I bought my first NSX I got a ride in a right hand drive NSX from the UK. He was an amazing driver and it solidified my purchase.

Enjoy the ring!

These threads are indeed a very good start! You could find similar threads on any car forum with enough research.

I cannot advise on rental companies, as your research online will be as good as mine. Sorry to be of no help here but I have always gone in my own car, a friend's car, or a random stranger's car! I did once go in a rental, but that was a regular Sixt car rental (BMW 1 series), which I advise you do NOT do. So, just do your normal research into those rental companies and you will find something reasonable. Trust me, everyone is trying to make a buck from the Ring so you have a lot of options!

A video game might do something to get you somewhat familiar with the corners, but do not even remotely think you know all but the most familiar sights from a game! Every turn looks the same until you've been around 10-15 times. Forza 3/4 model it the best from what I've seen, but don't use a video game for anything more than something to get you excited to drive on it.

I am not the best driver out there, by far, and I have spun out on the Ring before. Be aware, you do have to pay for damages to grass, gravel, etc. I simply spit gravel onto the track, and it cost me 50 Euro. Just something to keep in mind.

With all this said, do not approach it like you would a normal track day. There is virtually no runoff and little room for mistakes. Take it easy, enjoy your experience, and don't worry about that VW Polo passing you :biggrin: (but don't let that school bus pass you! and yes, you may see out-of-place vehicles on the Ring). Leave very aggressive driving to those familiar with the Ring! So, definitely try to hire or simply talk your way into a ride with a good local driver for the real thrill. That is my best advice.

You can start by reading these old threads.http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98313&highlight=nurburgring ...http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111020&highlight=nurburgring If it were me I would try at least a computer simulation like ps2 or xbox

Back