• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best year for track use?

Hey guys just curious what year would be the best to get if I was going to do Autox and track events? It is going to be driven maybe 5k miles a year, plus track events.

Also, I was thinking about building the motor up to handle around 450 to 500rwhp. Will the transmission and axle handle the power?

Thanks in advance.

AbadR1 said:
Hey guys just curious what year would be the best to get if I was going to do Autox and track events? It is going to be driven maybe 5k miles a year, plus track events.

Also, I was thinking about building the motor up to handle around 450 to 500rwhp. Will the transmission and axle handle the power?

Thanks in advance.

If you got the money they can build the motor is all I can say. I recommend you spend some time reading in the forced induction section.

I think most will tell you as far as a track car a early model 91 - 92 would be best.

The '91-94 coupes cost less and have greater rigidity.

However, if you want your car to be reliable, I wouldn't build the motor...

I was researching on the FX500 kit, looks like close to what I would like to do. I actually have a twin turbo Z06, but the idea of having a NSX would be awesome, mid engine and lightweight. I bet the NSX glues to the track. The NSX would be a track car and weekend car.

Also, the Z06 depreciate as we speak, the NSX is appreciating, so that is a big plus. I love the way the car look, so sexy!

Anywho, can the 5spd, and the axle handle 450-500rwhp? I was looking at the science for speed website and they have some good parts for building the motor. I do understand, even if you build a motor to handle FI, it will still be unreliable.

Any information would be great, so I am going back to look more at the FI section.

I'd say 92 or 93, since no snap ring, but still no power steering. Think that changed in 94. If you're going to heavily mod and track it, resale will be tougher so no reason to spend extra on a newer one IMO.

Ski_Banker said:
I'd say 92 or 93, since no snap ring, but still no power steering. Think that changed in 94.
Sorry, you are correct about prefering nonpower steering - but power came in 1995. The 16 and 17 inch wheels introduced in 1994 are much better stock wheel sizes for grip. But if you are going to change the wheels then a 1992 or 1993 is fine.

Last edited:
Guess I learn something new today, no power steering until 95. So if I bought a earlier model, will it be hard to track, or should it be fairly easy to steer at low speed considering the smaller wheel/tires up front?

I think that most early NSX owners would agree that you will not miss power steering except maybe when parallel parking which I never did -very tight spaces in other words. Once you are moving 5 MPH, the lack of power steering in the light weight NSX is an advantage because of the very direct steering feel and road feedback through the steering wheel. It is ideal.

Most Ferraris of the same vintage didn't have power steering either. There is much better feel for the tires and road without it. You should drive some NSXs and see for yourself.

Last edited:
nsxhk said:
You out handled the nsx already? :wink: Henry.
Not hardly! I have lost interest in the track, it seems. My thing was to bring my cars to the track on sport street tires; run her that way on the track; then drive home. I had driven as well/fast as I could like that.

Frankly, I started too late about age 50 but still did track events off and on for 14 years. I kind of got bored going around in circles. And I want to buy a sailboat for the Chesapeake Bay. I'm sure though any sailboat I buy will be a lot more trouble than the NSX.

But I take great memories of a beautifully balanced car with me! Will never forget the last weekend with the BMW club @ VIR, North and Full courses - my favorites.

Last edited:
AbadR1 said:

For street/track I am of the opinion that it is ideal to get the newest, cleanest NSX in the best mechanical condition you can afford.

AbadR1 said:

Thanks in advance.

Many threads on the FI forums over the time in regards to enthusiasts whom sought drastic increases in crank power, while attempting to put it to the ground using their stock driveline.

John@Microsoft said:
For street/track I am of the opinion that it is ideal to get the newest, cleanest NSX in the best mechanical condition you can afford.

That is what I chose to do too. BUT, there are downsides to that choice. What about if you get to a point where you want a cage? Not sure Id want to put one in my 02, but if I had an older one, I would go for it. Also, the coupe is an appealing choice as it provides greater rollover protection. So if a cage is something you would consider, for me its an easier thing to put in an older car.

IMO, the best thing about a newer car is that you can sleep more soundly in terms of things breaking on the track, which can be catastrophic. With an older car, you probably want it teched after every day. I've been having mine teched every 4 or so events and have never found anything of concern. I check the fluids and the wheels every event, but in terms of having someone go through the suspension and other more difficult to get at parts for signs of stress, Im lighter on that than friends with older cars are.

The other fact no one has yet noted - in addition to the lighter weight and greater rigidity of the NSX Coupe (compared with the removable-roof NSX-T, which constitutes 98 percent of all '95 and later NSXs) - is that some groups who hold track events do not allow removable-roof cars to participate (some not at all, others only if it has a full roll cage).

Just one more thing to consider...

My thought is actually on the other end, the best nsx for the track, if you are still in intermediate / novice level, a well taken care of early year nsx is good. Just the thought of stone chips, off track incidents will put a very emotional stress into youself and spoiled the fun.

My personal choice would possibly an early year taken care of track rat. Cheapest coupe with some flaws on cosmetic / creature comfort stuff will be a good choice too (if it's mechanic sound, ie, strong motor/tranny, straight frame and no bent suspension arms) so the car won't be too nice to take A/c / radio/ and other interior pieces off. Get a cage in, it will be perfect for track use... yet you might not need more than 40k for everything (track day usage)

AbadR1 said:
the NSX is appreciating
I, and just about every other owner, would love for that to be the case. Exactly where/what do you draw that conclusion from?

KGP said:
I, and just about every other owner, would love for that to be the case. Exactly where/what do you draw that conclusion from?

I remember looking for an NSX a couple of years ago and the 91 and 92 was around low 20's. Maybe I was mistaken, as it has been a while ago.

Now I see 91 and 92 and good condition and low mileage for around high 20's to low 30's.

Its always a good thing if you can buy a car that will not depreciate. I know the Supras and the Rx7 are appreciating, if kept in good condition and in proper running order, with good mileage.

John@Microsoft said:
I am still unaware of anyone that has ever showed up for an HPDE and was prohibited from running for club technical/insurance issues due to a targa top NSX, and even in the rare event that did occur with some specific club chapter, could likely be circumvented entirely by simply not running with them.
The BMW Chapter’s I know don’t allow them. The last one I instructed for sent an NSX-T home disappointed.

Bob

1BADNSX said:
The BMW Chapter’s I know don’t allow them. The last one I instructed for sent an NSX-T home disappointed.

Bob

I had no problem running with Genessee Valley (upper NY) BMW in my targa car this summer. I know that Trillium, the Ontario chapter, also allows targa cars.

I too have never been turned away from an event because of the targa, nor have I first hand knowledge of anyone who has.

I personally feel that non targa, non power steering coupes are the best choice for a dedicated track car. That means Zanardi is the best choice and then 92-94's.

btw, I have done PCA events and TDE events without any issues from the club regrading my NSX-T

Just a note, I read that the NSX race cars in JGTC in the late 90's were based from a targa chassis for its added chassis stiffness to compensate for the open top. Obviously, the racecar top was welded shut, but still that says something about the chassis engineering Honda put into the Targa.

So if money was not an option and you are going for a race-car, I'd get the T-top and weld the roof. Otherwise, I'd go with a coupe.

Personally, I think the T-top would be as safe as or safer than an open top car with a rollbar in a rollover type incident.

-ak

Back