• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bilstein (3rd groove) or eibach

I have purchased a set of Bilsteins that I was going to pair them with a set of eibachs on the upper perch for a drop of about 1.25". I am debating just installing the stock springs on the lower perch for a 7/8" drop. I have 17/18'' rims. I am wondering about possibly still just using the stock springs but getting a third lower groove machined into the bilstein at about 1.2". Has anybody done this or have any feedback or concerns/problems that I am not thinking about. It seems this is the way to go and just sell the eibachs but maybe there are some opinions on this.

I vote for 3rd groove as I wasn't very happy with the Eibach springs. One concern: As the lower groove will bring suspension things down to the tire in the rear have a look if the tire rubs against them.
In the pic the lower plate should be turned 180 degrees just to maximize the gap between the plate and the tire because I wasn't able to mount OEM wheels.

Last edited:
I also vote for the third groove. I swapped out my Eibachs (which were sagging) for OEM springs mounted on Bilsteins, into which I had a third, lower groove machined.

The ride quality is now better than with the Eibachs, especially over large bumps. Additionally, the OEM springs should never sag, unlike the Eibachs and the Bilstein shocks should last longer than the OEMs.

The only real problem I've noticed is the one goldNSX mentioned, that the spring carrier on the rear shocks gets closer to the tire the lower it's mounted (the lower you have the third groove machined). I had my third groove machined 5mm lower than the lower of the standard grooves, if I remember correctly. At that setting, the gap between the spring carrier and the rear tire (245/40 ZR 17 mounted on OEM 2002+ rims) is down to about 1/4 inch.

The only other "issue" I've seen regarding Bilsteins with a third groove is that you have to be careful where you have the groove machined, since you can't adjust it afterwards.

Another option would be to get a set of collars from Dali to make the Bilsteins infinitely height adjustable (here), set them just where you want them, and if they rub in the rear, get some spacers. That would slightly increase the unsprung mass, however.

Another option would be to get a set of collars from Dali to make the Bilsteins infinitely height adjustable

That's just a big waste of money and the risk of loosing money. You could maschine some grooves every 5 mm on the shock like I did so it's adjustable this way.

Back