• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho
  • ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Bilstein Shocks Need Advice

Hello,

I am ready to pull the trigger for some bilstein shocks. I'm running 215 35 18 fronts and 265 35 18 rears with OEM springs. Questions:

Is this a direct replacement for the OEM shocks

I have read of rubbing issues with tires will I need spacers

Is it true that the car will look about an 1" lower (that's what I'm going for, more so the look). I'd go lower, but probably won't clear my driveway :(

Any suggestions on getting the best price for a complete set brand new???

I'll probably have my local Acura dealer do the install and the alignment, they have worked on my car before many times and I trust them. What should I expect to pay for such a job? I know dealerships usually bend us customers over for such requests, but I know the service adviser so I'm confident I'll be treated fairly.

Thanks in Advance

Ben

p.s. I would have posted this in a suspension forum, but didn't see a link?

1996 Acura NSX-T red

Ben,

There is a metal cup which holds the bottom of the spring onto the shock body, this is referred to as the perch.

On the Bilstein, there are two seperate grooves which this cup can slide into, an upper, and a lower, perch. When it's used on the upper perch, the shocks will serve as OEM replacement units, with no change in ride height. When installed on the lower perch, the car will be about 1" lower in ride height.

It's worth nothing that if your shocks require replacement, the car is probably sagging lower than it otherwise would be on fresh, gas-filled new shocks, so I would make the effort to research perch settings on this forum before deciding on an option with your installer.

Regards

If you mount the shocks on the perch for the stock ride height, it won't change anything as far as rubbing (unless, as noted above, your car is sagging, which it probably isn't, unless the shocks should have been replaced many years ago). If you use the perch to lower the car (it's actually about 7/8"), it may or may not cause rubbing; if it does, then you can just avoid the rubbing by re-mounting the shocks on the other perch.

p.s. I would have posted this in a suspension forum, but didn't see a link?
There is no suspension forum.

Last edited:
I purchased mine from Shox.com
Part numbers are:
24-016650 for the FRONT (you'll need to order 2)
24-016636 for the REAR (you'll need to order 2)

Just be sure you (or your installer) installs the perches in the correct orientation.

Correct orientation is shown below:
shocks_bilstein_placement_right.jpg

Showing the difference between Correct & Incorrect:
shocks_bilstein_placement_overlay.jpg

Last edited:
In terms of labor, my local specialty shop charge about $400 plus $100 for alignment. Shop around and ask recommendation for a shop in your area.

i just installed mine two weeks ago, install is cheap (though look for a good shop)

i had them on my last car and now on my new one. same as oem ride quality imo.

Thanks for all the responses.

Do the perches come with the Bilsteins or do you use the ones that come with the car (OEM perches)

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.

Do the perches come with the Bilsteins or do you use the ones that come with the car (OEM perches)

Thanks

The Bilsteins come with the their own perches. The OEM "perch" is part of the strut body. It's welded on, so it doesn't come apart.

I had mine installed for ~$200 a few years back.
I always do my alignment a week or two later to all the suspension to "settle". People go back and forth about this, but in every single car I've had that's been lowered, the suspension ends up being a little lower a week or two later after the install.

Last edited:
Back