• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bitten by the NSX bug

I have been stalking these cars on ebay and on NSX sites, looking for one that's in my price range, without too many miles etc. I figure that i can't get anything relatively decent for less than 30k, and usually these are going to have at least 60k on them. I would imagine that 60k on an NSX are "hard" miles, after all we're not talking about a cadillac here. My questions to those of you with NSX experience is: how reliable are these cars in the 60-90k mile range, and let's say worst case scenario: I buy one and the engine goes the next day, how much for a similar replacement + install?

Thanks a million...

I agree with your findings that you won't find a decent car under 30K and the mileage will be in that 60-90k range. I don't agree with the fact that those will necessarily be "hard" miles. It all depends upon the previous owner(s) and maintenence history. If a young kid owned it and didn't service it regularly, then of course beware. There are several cars out there in the 200K-300K+ mile range that are driven daily.
I believe that these cars are reliable and if you find one with all the maintenece records and service is up to date then you won't have problems with exception of certain common things that are well documented in the FAQ section of this site.

As far as a used engine goes, it would probably run you in the neighborhood of 7K.

Most NSX owners pamper their cars, and 60k is just broken in if maint. is all done on schedule sos does engine refresh program, and there are many post here on mileage.

Do your homework, and you can find an NSX for low-mid 30s that is well taken care of an will last you a LONG time.

FYI, mine has 50k on it (or about that) and it is about the most pampered 14 year old car you will ever see. Buy smart, and enjoy it for a LONG time. As many other folks here have said, these cars are extremely reliable if you get an example that has not been abused. Buy smart (condition over absolute price) and you should be fine. As just a few pointers:

*Check the PPI section of the FAQ (Fa is quote good here)
*Find a knowledgeable mechanic in yoru area and have them check it.
*Be sure to check out the marketplace on this forum. I have seen some beautiful, well maintained cars go for very reasonable prices.
*IMO, it is always better to buy from someone that the car was special to, as opposed to just a status symbol or something to beat on.
*Get out and see as many NSXs as you can. You start to get a feel for what kind of life the car has led, and where to look for potential issues.
* Put the car on a lift an look at it if you can.
* There are lots of good folks here. Help is usually just a post away.

Happy hunting!

I have been stalking these cars on ebay and on NSX sites, looking for one that's in my price range, without too many miles etc. I figure that i can't get anything relatively decent for less than 30k, and usually these are going to have at least 60k on them. I would imagine that 60k on an NSX are "hard" miles, after all we're not talking about a cadillac here. My questions to those of you with NSX experience is: how reliable are these cars in the 60-90k mile range, and let's say worst case scenario: I buy one and the engine goes the next day, how much for a similar replacement + install?

Thanks a million...

Try to find one from an owner that has kept all the maintenance records. An owner with maintenace records is one who really pampers his NSX. As for getting one for under $30k, that will be difficult. As for reliability, a well pampered NSX will easily go 100k miles with no mechanical issues. I have 2 friends with NSXs (98k miles & 85k miles) that only had general maintenance and normal wear & tear. It took me 5 years to find mine. I wanted a yellow NSX with OEM equipment, retractable head lights, 6-speed manual, and low miles. I finally found 1 for $50k with 12k miles (1997 Spa Yellow NSX-T). I currently have 13.8k miles on my NSX. The previous owner told me that my NSX has never seen rain since owned the car. He also handed me a 3 inch stack of maintenance records when I picked up my NSX. The NSX is a beautiful & reliable car. The NSX is much more reliable than a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, or a Porsche. Good luck in your search in finding a cure for your NSX bug.

Last edited:
Do your homework, and you can find an NSX for low-mid 30s that is well taken care of an will last you a LONG time.

FYI, mine has 50k on it (or about that) and it is about the most pampered 14 year old car you will ever see. Buy smart, and enjoy it for a LONG time. As many other folks here have said, these cars are extremely reliable if you get an example that has not been abused. Buy smart (condition over absolute price) and you should be fine. As just a few pointers:

*Check the PPI section of the FAQ (Fa is quote good here)
*Find a knowledgeable mechanic in yoru area and have them check it.
*Be sure to check out the marketplace on this forum. I have seen some beautiful, well maintained cars go for very reasonable prices.
*IMO, it is always better to buy from someone that the car was special to, as opposed to just a status symbol or something to beat on.
*Get out and see as many NSXs as you can. You start to get a feel for what kind of life the car has led, and where to look for potential issues.
* Put the car on a lift an look at it if you can.
* There are lots of good folks here. Help is usually just a post away.

Happy hunting!

I 110% echo Mark's advice here. Test drive several NSXs, preferably a 91, 95, and 97 so that you can feel the difference and get an idea of what normal feels like. Then start hound-dogging for your new toy. But the key is getting one that has been meticulously maintained -- can mean the difference between a blown engine on the track and years of trouble-free fun.

Another pointer: Buy one that is a day or two driving distance away, if at all possible. You'll understand why when the time comes. :wink: :smile:

No way should you assume that 60K+ miles would be hard miles. 95% of the miles on my NSX (91 with 52K) are highway miles.

I bought my 95 with 56K miles and 2 years later it has 88K miles. In that time, I've worn out the tires (more than once) and the brakes, but haven't broken a single thing. When my car was in the shop last week for scheduled maintenance I asked the mech to go over the suspension with a critical eye and recommend anything he thought I might need (struts, bushings, etc) and he came up with nothing.

Fact is, at almost 90K miles, my car is mechanically perfect with almost no effort on my part other than scheduled maintenance and diligent replacement of wear items. IMO, there's no reason to be afraid of a higher miles NSX if it's been taken care of.

Oops, minor correction to above. The gas struts on my back glass and trunk are oldweakandpathetic. I recently replaced the hatch struts and will soon replace the trunk struts. IMO, that qualifies as "repair".

I bought mine with well over 130,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it other than the typical maintenance and an existing A/C problem that was already there when I bought it.

let's say worst case scenario: I buy one and the engine goes the next day, how much for a similar replacement + install?

Thanks a million...

Short block from Honda 7-9k (now the cars out of production so they may not import one) and install is a bitch with everything coming out or going in from under the car.

Than you can do all the maintenance when you do the new short block :cool:

The previous posts are all correct.
Just remember to be patient. You've made up your mind that you want one, and this is good. Just don't make a hasty or rash decision. Try not to fall into the "I gotta have this one" after you drive your first NSX.:eek:

Happy Hunting!!!:smile: :biggrin: :smile:

Back