• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax

I just heard about this stuff from my neighbor who wax waxing her Lexus. She said Consumer Reports ranked it number 1 on a 1 year test!(?) Can anyone get me a copy of the study from the July issue of Consumer Reports (I don't subscribe and I already did a GOOGLE on it).

Thanks,

Dave

Is this what you wanted? I have a subscription. If it isn't PM me and I'll go look again..

YONKERS, NY — Consumer Reports tested more than two dozen liquid, paste, and spray car waxes for the July issue and found two products, from Black Magic and Turtle Wax, that outperformed all the others.

Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax and Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 tied with “Excellent” overall scores. Both products, which sell nationally for around $7 apiece, were also named as CR Best Buys because of their combination of performance and comparatively low cost.

A total of 28 different brands of car wax were tested, including 16 liquid waxes, five pastes, and seven spray-on, wipe-off products. The waxes ranged in price from about $5 to $32.

Full tests and ratings of the car waxes appear in the July issue of Consumer Reports, which goes on sale June 6. The complete report is also available to subscribers of www.ConsumerReports.org .

Consumer Reports found that the liquid waxes generally provide the best combination of cleaning and protection. But contrary to conventional wisdom, they required more effort than paste waxes to apply and remove. As a group, liquids were the hardest to apply evenly, and they took the most time to buff out.

In addition, some left a powdery residue that had to be wiped off. Even the top-rated Black Magic Liquid Wet Shine Liquid Wax (BM48016) required an extra bit of buffing to eliminate any streaking. And CR’s other best all-around choice, the Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6, can cause slight scratching or hazing on newer dark-colored finishes.

Consumer Reports’ tests found that pricier waxes favored by auto enthusiasts do not necessarily work better than some less-expensive brands. The two top performers cost just $7, while a product selling for $32, P21S Concours-Look Carnauba Wax, ranked no better than mid-pack.

Among the four paste waxes tested, the Nu Finish NFP-80 ($8) outscored its competitors with a “Very Good” score. Eagle One Wax-As-You-Dry ($6) and Turtle Wax 1 Step Wax & Dry T-9 ($6), tied as the best spray products with “Good” scores. Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss T-413R came in just behind the two top-rated sprays.

How to Select the Right Car Wax

In its tests, Consumer Reports found that:

Liquid waxes are good for cleaning, gloss, and durability. But they can be more difficult to apply evenly and buff out. Most dry to a haze within about a minute, but this varies with wind, sunlight, and thickness of application.
Paste waxes are good for ease of application. But overall performance is not as good as with liquids, and it can be difficult to remove wax from the container as you near the bottom. Paste waxes usually dry to a haze within 30 seconds.
Spray waxes are good for new cars with excellent finishes since new paint is still shiny and shouldn’t be oxidized. They are also good for consumers looking for convenience, plastic compatibility, and spot waxing. They are quick to apply and many can be wiped off without drying. But they are not as good for cleaning and are the worst for durability.
How CR tested car waxes

Overall scores for the waxes are based primarily on gloss; durability; ease of use; cleaning; resistance to scratching, swirls and hazing; and plastic compatibility.

Consumer Reports tested using sample panels uniformly finished with white or black automotive paint, both with and without clear coat. Some were left to weather for 12 months on the roof of CR’s National Test Center in Yonkers, NY and others were put into a device that simulates extreme weather conditions. The panels were brought into a lab weekly, where technicians washed and dried them, and applied drops of water to measure beading effect. How well a wax causes water to bead, or repel water, is one way to determine whether wax still provides protection from acid rain and contaminants. To test for ease of use and how well products worked to clean and improve gloss on fading paint, CR used real vehicles, some of which had rarely or never been waxed.

To assess gloss, CR did side-by-side visual comparisons. For durability, CR tracked how water beaded to show how quickly the wax wore away. Cleaning and scratching/hazing tests also relied on side-by-side visual comparisons. For ease of use, CR used cars owned by staffers.

Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services. To subscribe to Consumer Reports, call 1-800-234-1645. Information and articles from the magazine can be accessed online at www.ConsumerReports.org .

JULY 2006
© Consumers Union 2006. The material above is intended for legitimate news entities only; it may not be used for commercial or promotional purposes. Consumer Reports® is published by Consumers Union, an expert, independent nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves. To achieve this mission, we test, inform, and protect. To maintain our independence and impartiality, CU accepts no outside advertising, no free test samples, and has no agenda other than the interests of consumers. CU supports itself through the sale of our information products and services, individual contributions, and a few noncommercial grants.

I actually purchased some Black Magic Wet Shine after reading this article several months ago to try on my red NSX. I found it to be a pain to use. It’s difficult to remove and it is very streaky (this is mentioned in the article). It was so bad that I took it back. I have been very happy with Meguiars High Tech Yellow Wax (#26). It is very easy to apply/remove (no white residue) and it makes my car glow. Hope this helps.

i got a box of that black magic polish to try out from one of my suppliers for my detail shop in toronto about 2 years ago, i opened one bottle up to try it out on my then s2000 and i had the same problem, hard to use and streaky of all polishes ive used it had to be the hardest to work with. i still have the box with 10 of them kicking around somewhere in the shop. zymol and zanio are my prefrences to use hands down on my own and customes cars.

Well, the stuff was on sale at Menard's (1/2 price/$3.50) so I bought a bottle for my daily driver. It applied OK, but was a PIA to remove. It did leave streaks, but they are just basically wax that was not removed completely. A little more buffing and they were gone. Shine is not as good as Meguiar's, but it still is decent. I'm more concerned about durability here, as the Meguiar's seems to wear out in only 1-2 months.......

I would not use this product on my NSX though.:frown:

Dave

Look at the products CR typically tests; they are middle of the road crap. That is what they tested in waxes.

Here is what CR tested.......we all have our preferences..

1 Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax BM48016 CR Best Buy $7
2 Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax T-6 CR Best Buy $7
3 Eagle One Nanowax $12
4 3M Perfect-it Show Car Liquid Wax 39026 $11
5 DuPont Teflon Ultra Wax CWX1030 $8
6 Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Wax $10
7 Nu Finish NF-76 $8
8 Zymol Cleaner Wax Z503 $20
9 Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Liquid $15
10 Turtle Wax Platinum Series Ultra Gloss T-412R $9
11 Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax 11171 $20
12 Griot's Garage Paint Sealant 11075 $15