• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blistein shocks on lower perch - leaking

Hi all,

I have a 2004 NSX riding on Bilstein shocks using the lower perch with stock springs. I discovered recently that the front right shock is leaking and leaves a quarter size drip on my garage floor after long drives.

My question is... can I just replace the one shock, or do I need to do the two fronts together or do I need to do all 4?

What would happen if I don’t replace it at all? It seems like the drips have been getting smaller and smaller so maybe there isn’t much fluid remaining in the shock, or somehow it’s resealing itself? Not sure what is happening. I haven’t really noticed any performance difference... I just don’t want to have any fluid leaks on my NSX.

What do you all think?

The shock can be sent to Bilstein, they'll fit a new gasket and replace the worn items. But they've raised their prices for rebuilts. Not sure if it's better to buy new ones. They're quite cheap in the US but are the longest living shock out there.

No need to do all 4 but still recommended to do it pairwise.

I had Bilstein shocks on my 79 Accord (they are still on it as far as I know). One developed a leak years later. Bilstein replaced it free of charge. They had a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser.

I need to have a shop do the replacement for me, so I don’t think I have the luxury of sending back the bad shock to get it replaced before putting it back on the car. And also, if I have to do it in pairs, I can’t do that either. So I have to buy new shocks and take it to the shop. That’s why I was wondering if I buy 1,2 or 4?

Also, does anyone know why Bilstein model 24-016636 is only specified for up to NSX Year 2002? I thought suspension from 2002-2005 was the same? Are there differences between 2002 and 2005? Why is 2004-2005 not stated in Bilstein's docs?

Last edited:
Are you the one who purchased them from Bilstein authorized retailer? If so dig up your receipt and talk to Bilstein for rebuild work. They are very good handling it.

Otherwise we need to know mileage on them all etc, to know if replacing single shock makes sense or a pair.

All HDs are the same for 91-05 nsx AFAIK.

Are you the one who purchased them from Bilstein authorized retailer? If so dig up your receipt and talk to Bilstein for rebuild work. They are very good handling it.

Otherwise we need to know mileage on them all etc, to know if replacing single shock makes sense or a pair.

All HDs are the same for 91-05 nsx AFAIK.
No, I am not the one who purchased the Bilsteins. They came on the car already when I bought it.
The car had 9K miles when I bought it several years ago and now has about 12K.

I agree just buy 4 new ones...not expensive.

It’s not the price of the shocks that concerns me. It’s that I have to have someone install them and thus they’d have to mess with the suspension on all 4 corners to do all 4. Not sure what that labor would cost and if they’ll mess something up... especially on the rears where the perch ring was rubbing on the tire before when I got the car and didn’t know it. I was lucky I caught that before having a blowout. There was a groove carved out of the inner sidewall of the rear left tire!

Last edited:
i always replace my shocks together, both fronts and if the rears are having issues, both rears. it sounds like both fronts in your case is what i would consider replacing.

It's not unusual for a single and brand new bilstein to leak the next day (search prime). So argument about replacing all four with basically under 5k (assuming mid point change/install) miles on them is pretty funny. Completely unnecessary, nsx or not.

Good thing about any part of this r&r is that no alignment changes will happen.

Last edited:
I don’t suppose shock replacement on an NSX is a DIY if I don’t have spring compressors correct? Anyone have any idea how many hours labor a shop will charge to replace two front shocks?

In the shop with the lift it's one hour per corner fronts. This and that I wouldn't pay for more than 3h labor on this.

Yes, you need spring compressor. Can rent one at AutoZone and such if DIY. Torque bottom shock mounts with suspension loaded ~ car's weight at 1g. What I do is measure the distance from the hub to the fender before removing the wheel then support LCA at the ball joint and drop the jack to roughly measured position, then torque down bottom shock bolt. Good luck.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't replace one individual shock on a 1979 Accord, much less a six-figure NSX.

For your information the shock on my Accord failed many years after they were installed. Bilstein no longer sold them for the Accord.(not a big seller apparently, what a surprise!) They did at least have one put away in case of a warranty issue, and that's what I got-one. That was over 30 years ago, and I'm pretty sure the young feller that has the car now, still has the Bilsteins in place. The OP only has 12K or less on his shocks, but hey, replace all 4 just to be sure! I have no problem spending other people's money. :barbershop_quartet_

It's not unusual for a single and brand new bilstein to leak the next day (search prime). So argument about replacing all four with basically under 5k (assuming mid point change/install) miles on them is pretty funny. Completely unnecessary, nsx or not.

Good thing about any part of this r&r is that no alignment changes will happen.

Oh... is that true? I didn't realize changing shocks doesn't require a new alignment job.

Not unless you're changing length of the shock, in your chase it's drop in replacement, the same everything, no geometry changes.

If you're due for alignment do it after the install obviously but this r&r won't require it.

Back