• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW 335i Resale

Looking to get a 335.

The prudent side of me says get a used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit. So I look online at used ones and it seems that they are selling for damn near close to sticker. Is this the norm? Are these cars going for more than sticker new? For the prices people are asking for used ones, I could buy a new one for about a grand more.

Priced the way I want, I can get a no-nav RWD 6 speed with 18's and the aero kit for about 47,xxx. Most of them with around 10-20K miles are going for that much. What am I missing?

BMWs have always had a strong bluebook value but in the case of the e92 series BMW coupes the book values have been exceptionally high. I would think you would be better off taking a good deal on a brand new model as opposed to trying to find the used one that someone is willing to take a loss on.

They are not going for more than sticker new. Only the M3 did and now some places are offering discounts. :mad: They used to go for sticker price but a lot of dealers now are offering discounts because of the weak economy. Long Beach BMW is offering $1000 off all coupes and $1500 off sedans. I think other dealerships are even more negotiable. I know what you are saying about the used market and prices being near what sticker was. But you have to look at all the options that the car has and I'm sure there must be some kind of discount off of their original paid price. The options can really add up...

I would check the BMW forums to see if there are any good deals to be had there. To me, I honestly wouldn't deal with the headache and would just buy a new one.

I was looking at this too... except I was finding they were taking about a 10k hit on depr... say on a car that had 3X,000 miles, 6spd, coupes... they could be found for 8-10k less than new, a lot with less miles than that.

If I were gonna do it, I would buy it used. Still under warranty... why pay the premium?

Come on now, with the economy the way it has been, there have got to be some 335's used for sale where people just can't afford the car any more. I suspect if you are patient you will find one.

We got nearly $1000 off retail when they just came out, but we ended up passing. I saw one for sale for $35,500 but it is gone already. I am not sure if that was a typo or just a great deal someone snapped up.

Carmax had a few with the best options (Premium, Sport, Cold weather) for around 36-38 when I checked a few weeks ago. When I was looking into a new 335i, my local dealer was offering about 3 grand off.

A bit OT, but...

You might also want to check on engine issues - the first gen E9x 335 3.0fTT had some issues with the track set.... I think it had to do with fuel pump/fuel pressure.

Nowhere near as bad as the S54 motor on early-build E46 M3, but something to consider.

##########

Shiv Pathak (he used to post here awhile back, both on NSX and S2K) has some cool mods for the 3.0L TT (company is called Vishnu Performance Systems). Like most factory FI motors, the gains are significant: +75 rwhp (to 360 rwhp) and +114 rwt (to 390 lb-ft rwt). Could make things interesting... wonder how it works on the smaller 135.

Vishnu package - 335/535

Check out out here --> http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=119485

###########

335 with Vishnu package = cheap M3
135 + mods = an interesting E-ticket ride

Last edited:
Looking to get a 335.

The prudent side of me says get a used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit. So I look online at used ones and it seems that they are selling for damn near close to sticker. Is this the norm? Are these cars going for more than sticker new? For the prices people are asking for used ones, I could buy a new one for about a grand more.

Priced the way I want, I can get a no-nav RWD 6 speed with 18's and the aero kit for about 47,xxx. Most of them with around 10-20K miles are going for that much. What am I missing?

I say wait untill the New m3 start hitting the dealership , then new m3 will drop the price of the 335. M3 is what about 50k-65k for allot more , the 335 will drop.But i have to say , the 335ci are NICE. :rolleyes:

A bit OT, but...

You might also want to check on engine issues - the first gen E9x 335 3.0fTT had some issues with the track set.... I think it had to do with fuel pump/fuel pressure.

Shiv Pathak (he used to post here awhile back, both on NSX and S2K) has some cool mods for the 3.0L TT (company is called Vishnu Performance Systems). Like most factory FI motors, the gains are significant: +75 rwhp (to 360 rwhp) and +114 rwt (to 390 lb-ft rwt). Could make things interesting... wonder how it works on the smaller 135.

Vishnu package - 335/535

Check out out here --> http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=119485

###########

335 with Vishnu package = cheap M3
135 + mods = an interesting E-ticket ride

Thanks for the info. I've been reading the forums lately, and from what I've seen, it appears I'd do well to pass on the Vishnu stuff. Apparently, there were some issues with the product and also with the customer service.

My g/f is looking at a new/used 328i coupe and we're finding some at DEEP discounts from new. We test-drove an '07 with 11k miles and all options except nav (about $43k new) at a BMW dealer and they were asking $36k. This is with an extra 2yrs/50k of extended warranty on top of the factory warranty. The car looked and drove perfectly. They also had a demo, similar but fewer miles (I want to say around 2k miles) for $40-41k. I'd keep looking, as there are indeed a few of these floating around.

What do you guys think of the resale value of the 328 vs. 335? The g/f's dad mentioned that she should get the 335 instead for better resale, which I think is absurd because she'll be spending $6k more for power she'll never use (and worse mileage) and I doubt the 335 will have a higher resale in the first place - if anything, it may be the other way around.

OP, I know you said that you see these online selling for close to sticker. But are they really selling for that much? I sell Acura's and hear that argument almost daily. People say they see the same car selling online for X amount of dollars. That is just the asking price though. People can ask whatever they want for their car, but what it actually sells for is a different story.

My brother won a 335i and sold it about 6 months ago with 70 miles on it for 38k I think. It was a nice car and he's 6'9 and fit in it okay too so lots of room in it.

How did he win the car? Darn, shoulda asked me if I wanted it!!!

Ditto! I still need a nice graduation present! ;p Steveny never dropped off his 360 for the weekend like he said he would!

Yeah, he's a dick like that. If you ask him he'll probably make up some excuse like he just had a baby or something. :rolleyes: :smile:

Back