• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boston Campus Police: "Using Prompt Commands" May Be a Sign of Criminal Activity

Boston Campus Police: "Using Prompt Commands" May Be a Sign of Criminal Activity

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/boston-college-prompt-commands-are-suspicious

"The problem? Not only is there no indication that any crime was committed, the investigating officer argued that the computer expertise of the student itself supported a finding of probable cause to seize the student's property."

I don't even know what to say... just because he is using Linux (And OS that most cops won't know what it is) is not criminal.....grrrrr :eek: :mad:

Last edited:
Re: Boston Campus Police: "Using Prompt Commands" May Be a Sign of Criminal Activity

from what I have read he is being represented by the EFF, hopefully the cops get made out to be fools in this situation because this is absolutely ridiculous

I use unix at work, I must be a criminal lol

Re: Boston Campus Police: "Using Prompt Commands" May Be a Sign of Criminal Activity

from what I have read he is being represented by the EFF, hopefully the cops get made out to be fools in this situation because this is absolutely ridiculous

I use unix at work, I must be a criminal lol

yea I'm a linux geek too... and I guess we must be terrorists huh? lol

Youguys didn't read the news.
The US Government has a new law that says Windows is the only legal operating system.
Amazing.

Pffff... northeastern cops.... pffff

The US Government has a new law that says Windows is the only legal operating system.
Amazing.

Yep, cause it has about as good of a reputation as our gov't does. :D

Last edited:

Amazing.

um..... link? that means that the gov't is mandating we pay M$ for their POS software....... fk that

Wow this is insane. Rediculous!! Moronic!!! :mad:

I use CMD (DOS) in Windows. That means it is suspcious?

That cop needs to get educated!!! That's what happens when you have uneducated fools hired as cops.

Guess I better stop c:\ping www.google.com !!! :eek::confused:

Wow this is insane. Rediculous!! Moronic!!! :mad:

I use CMD (DOS) in Windows. That means it is suspcious?

That cop needs to get educated!!! That's what happens when you have uneducated fools hired as cops.

Guess I better stop c:\ping www.google.com !!! :eek::confused:

Sir, I'm going to have to confiscate your computers. Thanks! .

600full-office-space-photo.jpg

Sir, I'm going to have to confiscate your computers. Thanks! .

600full-office-space-photo.jpg

Take it! I can't believe I misspelled 'ridiculous'!! I've seen so many misspelled 'ridiculous' as 'rediculous' that I made the same mistake. :redface:

I see civil lawsuit, and I don't even have 20/20 vision.:wink:

This is a shame; it is also what might be expected when you give police powers to people who perhaps really should be security guards. But, the real problem lies with the judge who endorsed that warrant thus putting the power of the court behind that "officer's" work.
Hopefully this will all come out in the wash. Either there is more to this matter (hopefully) or the case will quietly resolve. The former roommate being the informant is problematic in and of itself. Kind of like your ex-wife being called to testify against you after a particularly ugly divorce.

Doesn't surprise me. Everyone knows that BC sucks, GO BU! :biggrin:

The indictment goes on to say that the police believe the use of command prompts was an act of witchcraft and therefore must be burned at the stake.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm using MS Windows 3.1 on my pentium 386. Is that against the law???

I don't know about you guys, but I'm using MS Windows 3.1 on my pentium 386. Is that against the law???
only in the state of washington.

was anyone able to find out anymore info about this case? The police dept could be held liable for invasion of privacy to say the least.... I hope they stick it to the man on this one!

It's just called an 80386. The Pentium name was first used with the successor to the 80486.

Is that with or without the math co-processor?:wink:

Amazing.

Is there a reward for turning in all those criminals using apple computers?:biggrin:

Is there a reward for turning in all those criminals using apple computers?:biggrin:

I better stock up on ammo for my M4's then. I ain't going down without a fight! :wink::biggrin:

Back