• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake lights stay on

My brake lights wont turn off when ignition is off, I found a piece of broken plastic below the brake pedal, Anyone know how to fix this Thankyou for reply.

There's a little plastic button that fits in a small hole on the brake pedal. It depresses the brake light switch to turn off the brake lights when you release the pedal. It's a $3 part from honda / acura, and is, if I remember correctly, very common across the honda family. One prime member suggested putting a small bolt and nut in place of the button and unless the nut and bolt come out, it will last forever.

If you do a search here in the forum, you'll probably find some photos and additonal info, and it's pretty easy to fix yourself.

Miner

Got out of car after a short drive, brake lights stayed on, cursed a bit, mashed pedal 10 times with kids watching, started car, stopped car, pulled fuse, cursed more...search NSXPRIME, found the problem, drove to Acura dealer, purchased part, installed part, lights work properly, found the BLUE colored old broken part in floorboard during install.

Who knows how long and how MUCH my Acura would have charged me. BTW, they charged my $5.70 for the part.

1hr total from indentification to resolution as I curse quickly:)

THANKS PRIME!

This was my first 'quarrel' with my NSX. The height of the new button (I ordered four for $1.51 each) necessitated that I adjust the height of the sensor. I think I got it right - I asked a guy at the gas station if my brake lights were working - he said yes, and I haven't been rear-ended yet.

I guess I'll put another one in the clutch, as soon as my back heals. Not the easiest place to do work on the NSX!

FX

I must reply to this. "In stock", wow! I would've never guessed.

My dealer also had it in stock and said he sold one last week. Apparently they are used on a few other acuras as well.

Got out of car after a short drive, brake lights stayed on, cursed a bit, mashed pedal 10 times with kids watching, started car, stopped car, pulled fuse, cursed more...search NSXPRIME, found the problem, drove to Acura dealer, purchased part, installed part, lights work properly, found the BLUE colored old broken part in floorboard during install.

Who knows how long and how MUCH my Acura would have charged me. BTW, they charged my $5.70 for the part.

1hr total from indentification to resolution as I curse quickly:)

THANKS PRIME!

You got jacked! I paid like $1... that's probably why they didn't even charge the other guy who posted here. On the brake one I used a nut and bolt in place of this piece so it would never break again... probably should have done that again but I guess this plastic takes 20 years or so to break down.

My dealer also had it in stock and said he sold one last week. Apparently they are used on a few other acuras as well.

I needed one last week and stopped by a Honda dealer. He keeps them in a small box right at the front counter. It's a "popular" part. :)

It is a pain in the ass to install but after a few minutes a light bulb went off in my head and I used a hemostat to grip the plug and was easily able to get it in place.

hemostat_final1.jpg

Last edited:
Back