• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Pad question

docjohn said:
There should be someone out there with bobcats,I think Hrant gave away 20 sets as raffel prizes this past xpo!:)

I have a pair that I won doc! But I'm waiting for my stockers to wear out first. What do you suggest matching them with on the rear?

PS. Thanks so much!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't think the bobcats are too different in performance that you could'nt use stock rear pads.

Anyone ever try "EBC" Greenstuff/Redstuff/Blackstuff break pads? (Green for street driving up to Black for track use)

MCM said:
Has anything changed in the last couple years?
Since then, Cobalt Friction has come out with their GT Sport brake pads, which are excellent for the street as well as for track events. Nice bite, virtually no squealing, etc.

That being said...

MCM said:
Is it still true that OEM pads are the cleanest and still stop the car?
I think so. The OEM pads are just fine for most folks who are only driving on the street, and are even good for light track use.

afaik,the ebc stuff is not good for a car let alone a sports car,motorcycle maybe :wink:

OEM prices for the pads are pretty bad over in the UK too, and they last only one track day. Can't say we have compared different brands but we used Ferodos and they were very good, which is not suprising considering their rep.

-Rob

MCM said:
Has anything changed in the last couple years?
The pads on my car work fine, but are very dirty.
(No idea what they are)
I have to clean the stock powder coated wheels after every drive.
Not too bad, but am changing wheels to a style that will be a pain to keep clean.
Is it still true that OEM pads are the cleanest and still stop the car?
Thanks!

I've used Project Mu with very good results. Good bite, linear feel, low dusting, cheaper than stock.

I'm on the second set and am very happy with them.

robfenn said:
OEM prices for the pads are pretty bad over in the UK too, and they last only one track day.
That's totally inconsistent with my experience. When I was using OEM pads on the track, I was typically getting 500-600 track miles per set of front pads, and 700-800 track miles per set of rear pads. A few sets lasted less, a few lasted more, but that was typical. (Those figures are based on going through nine sets of front pads and six sets of rear pads.)

Events here typically average about 75 track miles per day. If your stock pads only last one track day, I can only guess that there's something wrong with your braking technique, or something wrong with your car, or else they weren't NSX stock pads (maybe your dealer substituted Legend pads or went out and got cheap aftermarket pads without your knowledge).

FWIW, I've gone through two sets of GT Sport front pads on the NSX, and each lasted 630-640 track miles.

Back