• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

brakes work!

I used to struggle with good braking at the track. I used to use Porterfield R4S pads and probably other ones like certain street/track Performance Friction pads. At best, I got lots of pad buildup on the rotors (the dreaded shudder) and at worst I disintegrated pads and cracked rotors. (I literally disintegrated a set of pads in one morning at Hallett.)

What changed? I am using my old Dali stock replacement rotors. They have been run on the street with stock pads. I put on Dali air deflectors (the big aluminum things) and added Carbotech Panther Plus pads from SOS.

The day before the event, the wife and I went to bed in the pads before dinner. We did a few stops, medium effort, say 60mph to 20 or so. She felt queasy so we stopped after 6 or so. The pads initially felt like bricks (no grip) but started to soften up a little. I was still concerned as to how these pads would bed in over the stock pad matrial which was well bed in.

The first session, I went easy and used the brakes only moderatly. After a few laps, I felt a little shudder so I figured I'd stop and let things cool down.

The next session, at initial touch of the brakes, the pads really gripped and upset the balance of the car. Very sensitive at this point. As the session went on, they started to feel better. Moderate pedal effort gave very solid braking. Whether this was a tight 20mph turn or 120 mph down to 2nd gear, this combination just worked. Shudder? Less each session until I forgot about it.

On day 2, flying into turn 1, downhill, about 120mph, I did my normal braking point which is later than most DE drivers but early for a real race lap, then noticed a slower car that was really slow. So, I pressed harder. The pads gripped so much harder that I felt like I was in the passenger seat of the RealTime NSX at Mid-Ohio braking for the key-hole. I guess the tires have great traction here as the car can just stop HARD.

In turn 8, there is less drama as far as a straight in entry to a flat braking zone. I could easily brake late and get a little tire lock up and then let go right at the limit - a real racing braking point. By day 2 and day 3, I had totally quit thinking about if the brakes would work or not.

Oh, and I did not bleed my brakes before the event (I have at least 2 year old fluid in there, but it may be Motul) and I never thought about bleading the brakes during the event. In the past, I'd take a squirt out every single session. Not necessary now.

I am so glad - as weak braking really sucks at driver's ed events. This combination gets two thumbs up.

Nice write-up. But doesn't proper bedding-in require a few (five or so) high speed stops as well?

The instructions with the pads have one set of steps for new pads on new rotors and another set for new pads on old rotors. I was in the 2nd case.

The instructions say to have the rotors turned. I skipped that part. I just put the pads on and did the bedding as I explained before. I'm happy to report good results.

I'm not going to go back to my stock pads for street. We'll see if going back and forth between pads works or not.

The event I did was two weeks ago at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS.

Hallett is a blast. It is difficult - good drivers at Hallet will be good/better at many other tracks. I hope to go back in the future.

Back