• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bringing a car into Calif...

... and need to know if there is anything special besides the normal smog check and registration that needs to be done.

What should be done first... go to DMV and register or get smog check? Is this going to be a hassle? i've never purchased a car out of state and wondering if any of you guys have. What surprises should i look forward to?

Thanks.

Shouldn't be any surprises. Get the smog check first, or they will just send you away to get one. I brought cars with me when I moved here 3 years ago. Didn't have any trouble at all.

Ya, the NSX will pass California's smog check with no problems at all.

I once bought a canadian RX7 turbo.

It was a little bit of a hassle. To get a smog sticker I had to

- Get a letter from Mazda USA that the car with VIN# xxxxxx.. is equipped with US compliant smog control devices.
- schedule a test with an referree smog test station.
Referee will check visual and emission.
if it is clean he will issue smog sticker and certificate.

- Then I can register the car.

I think out of state cars just need a smog check and a extra fee for out of state car registration.

If you currently live in CA and are buying a car from out of state, be prepared to pay sales tax on the car when you register it. The tax rate depends on your county/city, but I had to pay 7.75%. On a $35k car, that is about $2700. If you paid sales tax on the car in the other state immediately before you bring it to CA, then you will not have to pay any additional tax.

On my '91 NSX from Texas (to CA), there was no registration markup from being out of state. Just the one-time sales tax cost.

JOPRIMO,
Just went through this with my '96. If it's not to late, 2 things that will help. One is don't have the previous owner date the pink slip. You only have 10 days once the car gets here to take care of the paper work or you will be charged a late fee. If he doesn't date it, this will give you some extra time. Second, if you purchased the car from a private party, get him to write a second bill of sale for a lower price than what you really paid. In my case, they used the bill of sale price for the sales tax (ouch!). Don't make it too low however, as they may then use a "blue book" price. This may save you a few bucks.

I went to DMV, got a temporary permit, got the smog cert (the guy told me it was the cleanest running car he had ever tested), then took the paper work back and finished the registration process. Should be a piece of cake.

Good luck and congrats on your new ride!

Tim

Thanks for all the replies.... I just got back from Detroit. Went for the day to inspect and the car was perfect with one small exception: The EPS light was on. The power steering cylinder looked empty to me so they added fluid but the light stayed on. The dealer will be hooking up the computer to it tomorrow to see what the problem is and they will repair. I left a deposit pending the repair so they can't sell it. I'll post pics in a new topic once the car is finally purchased and arrives.

BTW... there is no smog sticker at all (Federal or Calif) under the hood. Will the smog check station provide that?

Also, a great trick to ensure a clean smog check is to add Octane Boost 99 to a full tank of gas. Drive for 1/2 hour then get it checked. It costs about $5 at local auto parts store.

ascot71 said:
if you purchased the car from a private party, get him to write a second bill of sale for a lower price than what you really paid.
This is called "fraud" and is illegal. Definitely not a good idea.

EPS Light

JOPRIMO said:
Thanks for all the replies.... I just got back from Detroit. Went for the day to inspect and the car was perfect with one small exception: The EPS light was on. The power steering cylinder looked empty to me so they added fluid but the light stayed on. The dealer will be hooking up the computer to it tomorrow to see what the problem is and they will repair.

You should check to see if your VIN is included among those for which Acura extended the warranty to 8 years for EPS problems. Acura is replacing my EPS system on my 95. Don't know if its an Acura dealer that will be checking your car, but in my experience, non-Acura repair shops want to replace the sensor or something short of replacing the whole unit. It would be best to get the whole unit replaced.

JOPRIMO said:

BTW... there is no smog sticker at all (Federal or Calif) under the hood. Will the smog check station provide that?

After the smog station smog your car, they will print out a paper stating if your car passed emmissions testing or not. That will be your official document. No stickers.

Ok... the computer reported the problem as worn contacts on the relay in the EPS control which is repaired under the Recall Bulletin 99-028. Acura agreed to complete the work at no cost. Dealer agreed to have this done before it ships and will send me a copy of Acura repair order. Looks like im finally getting minez! I'll post pics when it arrives.

i believe if you wait 3 months, you don't have to pay sale tax in california :D

Autophile said:
If you currently live in CA and are buying a car from out of state, be prepared to pay sales tax on the car when you register it. The tax rate depends on your county/city, but I had to pay 7.75%. On a $35k car, that is about $2700. If you paid sales tax on the car in the other state immediately before you bring it to CA, then you will not have to pay any additional tax.

On my '91 NSX from Texas (to CA), there was no registration markup from being out of state. Just the one-time sales tax cost.

Back