• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building New Home - Am I setting my standards too high? - Quality Concerns

:redface:I've owned a home before, but this would be my first that I'm having built. The builder is Pulte Homes. Long story short, there are a lot of things that they missed that I had to point out during the build process which now has one week left. I understand that mistakes can happen but what I've seen is unacceptable. My biggest issue is unevenness in the drywall. I understand that there is a settlement period but the unevenness here is ridiculous.

Look at the gaps here when using a level. I will try to get better pictures today. They also make the baseboard very wavy.

Wallgap1_zpsc885c276.jpg

Island1_zps1983f8b1.jpg

In this one, they FORGOT among many other things, to add the "listello" decorative strip in the tile. I did not notice until all the tile was already installed. So they said they would fix it, but what they did was just use an angle grinder to cut the tile just enough to fit the listello strip. Now under the strip you have a complete tile and above it an incomplete cut tile. No other house in the neighborhood has it done this way. They are just cutting corners.

CutTileforListello_zpsf25a40a8.jpg

I paid for the rounded drywall corner option. They also FORGOT to do that and I did not notice until after they had used joint compound and orange peel texture on the walls. They added the rounded corners afterward and sprayed more orange peel texture to match. Now there is a lot of overspray and inconsistency in the texture. It looks bad. The drywall people also FORGOT to cut a hole for an extra outlet I paid for.

A few other things were missed and this is just what I have found without a construction background. I question whether or not any checking or follow-up was done at each stage of the build process for quality assurance. I spoke to the construction manager about this and he got very defensive. The issues I brought up didn't seem to be an issue to him, almost as if they were acceptable. As soon as you walk into the house, you can spot some of the waviness in the drywall. I've composed a letter that I plan to send to the construction manager and all of the sales people I have dealt with including detailed pictures of each issue. What else should I do? I don't feel comfortable closing unless these items are taken care of.

dont forget a panic room filled with ammo, and guns and food.

when I build a home for my family ( one day )this will be a must have.

I wouldn't close with the understanding that Pultie home will only look at the items that they will feel are problems. Unfortunately, the curve in the the drywall is not a structural defect. Missing the curved corner detail is another matter. They might fix it, doubtful judging by how far along they are, or they will give you a credit back.

Is this a house being built by a big builder in a new community? If so, when you do the walk through with the agent point out everything that is done wrong. You don't have to close on the house if there are mistakes. I had a few discrepancies on my new home that were fixed to my satisfaction before the closing. In the case of them not cutting out for an electrical outlet, is there one there behind the wall to begin with?

Good luck.

Yes it is a very big builder in a new community, however the community has less than 70 of their homes. I have walked through with the construction manager and pointed out each issue, but I will do the same with the sales consultants as well so that they are aware. And yes, the outlet was in the block wall already, they just covered it up and never cut the hole for it.

Invest in a tire warranty for your cars. You are going to get nails in each tire until they finish all the homes.

The one thing I have learned over the years is once you pay the builder, getting thing fixed to your satisfaction is like pulling teeth. Make up your list of things that need to be fixed, with clear expectations of what is satisfactory to you, and give the list to them. Do not close on the house until the list is completed. Walk away if you have to, and find another house.
Miner

none of the walls in our house are bowed like that.The project/construction manager is supposed to be your advocate.There should be a punch list of items to be signed off by the builder and ok'd by you.How does pulte arrange for payment?Have you read all the fine print in your contracts?

Walls like that are common on a 1920 remodel, not new construction. Also, the fact that they are using a texture finish on the walls is a huge red flag. No offense, but I think you are getting ready to buy a terrible house. I would never settle for the workmanship that you are showing.

I was going to be kind..but since Josh went there..popcorn walls:confused2:

none of the walls in our house are bowed like that.The project/construction manager is supposed to be your advocate.There should be a punch list of items to be signed off by the builder and ok'd by you.How does pulte arrange for payment?Have you read all the fine print in your contracts?

I've read the fine print, and there is a punch list. I sent a list to them today of things i've found. My project managers is terrible. I put down a 15k earnest money deposit and they should be getting the rest of the down payment at closing.

Walls like that are common on a 1920 remodel, not new construction. Also, the fact that they are using a texture finish on the walls is a huge red flag. No offense, but I think you are getting ready to buy a terrible house. I would never settle for the workmanship that you are showing.

95% of houses built in the last 30 years in Florida have textured walls. It is extremely common down here, and yes, it does an excellent job of covering up mistakes.

I was going to be kind..but since Josh went there..popcorn walls:confused2:

They stopped using popcorn here a while ago. It's "orange peel"

so is that texturing for sound absorption?Do you like it?What is it?

Arizona is the same way.....it must be a Southern thing. I believe they refer to it as a level 3 finish.

so is that texturing for sound absorption?Do you like it?What is it?

You know, i've never really thought about it since i've grown up down here in houses with it. I do like it but not when its used to cover up mistakes. It is sprayed on, like some sort of watered down joint compoud.

Arizona is the same way.....it must be a Southern thing. I believe they refer to it as a level 3 finish.

They probably gave it a special name here too, it is also used for the knock down ceilings.

hmmmm I bet because of the humidity they use that gunk to prevent anyone from seeing the tape peeling and nail pops.So in essence they can sheetrock and paint quicker and cheaper.....What is pulte charging per sq/ft.

On this particular model and at the time I went into contract, about $132 per sqft. I'm not sure if that is their exact number as I just took the sales price for the home without options and divided by the square footage. The pricer per sqft goes down with the bigger houses. Mine is one of the smaller models in this development.

I would think at 132 you would get a "nice" house.Be that as it may pulte is a publicly traded company and as such they are more concearned with stock price and shareholder considerations ,something your local smaller private builders would not.Here in NE Pa 140-145 gets you a "nice" house with some minor upgrades.

I know of people that pay crazy money to remove popcorn ceilings and to resurface uneven walls. It is semi humorous that people are now paying a builder to combine the two.

The texture is purely to hide flaws. Yes, it is thinned joint compound, splattered out of compressed air gun with a hopper. After 15 minutes or so of setting, you take a drywall knife (flat blade) and drag the blade over the bumps to "knock it down". Thus it's called a knock-down or scraped surface. It's touted by home builders and realtors as a feature, but it's to reduce costs over having to do a really good tape job (less feathering and less or no sanding required).

My first remodel job to/from bare studs came out way better than that crap, and on a house built maybe 60 years ago. Do not buy it off. They needed to use drywall shims under the drywall, and that tilework would really bug me.

Edit: Wondering why rounded corners cost more? I've done them and don't see there being any more work to it over "sharp" corners. They have to install a corner bead regardless of shape.

Last edited:
Well, rounded corner bead costs slightly more than your cheap stamped steel, so there is that. And for me personally it is more time intensive to lay in correctly, then compound. For a pro though, it really doesn't add that much time/labor.

To see that much wave in drywall, I wonder what density it is. I have worked with all of them, and some are REALLY flexible (and flimsy) . I have also worked with 5/8" fiberglass impregnated; you could screw it to a boat hull and it would still be straight!

I sent the construction mananger a letter with all of these pictures and detail along with a list of remaining items I was unsatisfied with. I copied the sales consultants. Also in this letter, I expressed my overall concern that Pulte may have lowered their standards and are not holding their contractors to them. I have recommended that people look at this community and one aquaintance and his wife is actually going into contract, oddly still after I showed them the issues in my house. It is costing $132 per sqft and I'm struggling with seeing how this workmanship justifies that cost.

It's the little things that tell you allot about the bigger things.
If they can't get the finish right then god only knows whats going on under the surface. I ould employ a surveyor to thoroughly check the house and give you a list of any issues that you can use to 'snag' the build. If they cannot satify you by rectifying the issues found then demand your deposit back and buy another property, please don't have your judgement clouded by your enthusiasm to own a new home.
I will start the list for you:
1. Remove the exosting bathroom tiles and re tile the bathroom with the feature tiles correctly installed
2. Remove and reinstate the drywall with the correct corner bead and ensure it is level

Good Luck

I went through a 5 month remodeling 2 years ago. It was painful. I make a point to spend a few hours every day at my newly purchased home during the remodeling. The advantange was both to the contractor and I. The contractor provided me real time feedbacks. For example, he suggested installing a clean-out for the kitchen sink and provision for outdoor kitchen and BBQ including running gas and water line to the back yard. Anyway, I caught a lot of go back or rework. I can't imagine not showing my face every day. From my experience, the information from your contractor to the actual workers is third to fourth hand. Sometime there is also a language barrier.

Your situation is different from mine, this is a brand new home. You have to ask yourself if you can live with their mistakes. Every time you take a shower, you'll notice about the "listello" decorative strip in the tile. Every time you turn around the corner, you'll notice the wall is not plumb. Most likely no one would notice it but you. The bottom line is money. If you are not satisfied, have them fix it, get a discount or don’t pay. I found that not paying get the work done.

Last edited:
No matter what happens, do not close! Once they have your money you WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO GET THAT STUFF FIXED!

I hate to say it but for me personally, buying a "track home" is a big mistake. You live in a neighborhood where every 4th house is exactly the same
and you live 10 feet from the next house over. Resale will suck down the road.

Back