• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bumper Replacement Cost?

Hi, I'm looking at a 2000 NSX for sale, however it looks like the Bumper needs to be replaced due to some cracks in it. Does anyone have any idea on how much I can expect to pay for a new bumper and paint on it if I decide on this NSX?

Thanks,

Last edited:
I would want to know where the cracks came from. And what does it look like UNDER the bumper cover. Is there additional damage?

clipped by a goofy woman in parking lot while she was barely moving...figure she was half blind

Attachments

• DSCN1268.JPG
    DSCN1268.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea on how much I can expect to pay for a new bumper and paint on it if I decide on this NSX?
Why not ask the body shop who will be doing the work? But if you don't have the car yet, I'm quite sure they can only quote you a wide range; without seeing the car in person, they can only guess at how much of the bumper they would need to replace. (You do know that it's not just one piece, right?)

You can find parts and prices for all the parts of the front bumper here and the rear bumper here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Gene :)

As Gene has shown, that's the bumper I'm referring to. I'm assuming it's primarily the bumper face. I'm not sure if anyone here has had their bumper face replaced and painted to give me a rough idea of cost.

Beyond that the only other option would be to have Gene get a quote for me.

clipped by a goofy woman in parking lot while she was barley moving...figure she was half blind

Correct me if I am wrong but the yellow is the hardest color to match?

Someone nicked my rear bumper at work a year or two ago. Fun times...
Here's the breakdown:

Parts = $1,111.85
Labor = $368.20
Additional = $87.36

Total:
$1567.41

Thanks for the info. This is helpful to atleast give me a good idea on the cost.

Thanks,
Someone nicked my rear bumper at work a year or two ago. Fun times...
Here's the breakdown:

Parts = $1,111.85
Labor = $368.20
Additional = $87.36

Total:
$1567.41

The bumper in the photo doesn't look like it matches the quarter.

Nope...they match, just a lousy little camera and pic was taken by tree with partial shadows

Nope...they match, just a lousy little camera and pic was taken by tree with partial shadows

Looking at the wheel opening, there looks like a crease from this angle. Is this shadows as well?
ry%3D320

BTW I estimated it to be $1703.48 total for a new bumper, painted that color, which includes parts, labor, materials and tax.

Last edited:
You can get that plastic welded for about $150 if such a service exists around you. Then you just need paint. Most body shops won't mess around with that stuff and just replace the whole thing.

As a general note white is by far the hardest to match shade wise. Flakes are no problem. Black is easiest.

Looking at the wheel opening, there looks like a crease from this angle. Is this shadows as well?
ry%3D320

BTW I estimated it to be $1703.48 total for a new bumper, painted that color, which includes parts, labor, materials and tax.

Nope, it's a crease which I disclosed upfront. Since you have absolutely no knowlege of my car, myself,or my conversations with Brenten, you may want to save the sarcasm. Ignorance can be a dangerous thing.

Nope, it's a crease which I disclosed upfront. Since you have absolutely no knowlege of my car, myself,or my conversations with Brenten, you may want to save the sarcasm. Ignorance can be a dangerous thing.

I meant no sarcasm at all. I really though it might of been a shadow as I take photos of damage of cars all day and find them very difficult when trying to depict the condition of a vehicle. I have no idea what you disclosed in person to Brenten, how would I? Since it is damaged I suggest getting them both repaired at the same time. I'd look into a paintless dent repair first but in the wheel opening like that it doesn't seem like it would be successful. Best to ask a skilled local PDR tech first.

The bumper could and should be refinished off the vehicle but a quarter repair
would mean putting the car in a booth to paint. IMO to repair/refinish correctly it would mean R&I of the wheel house liner, side vent, side marker, left tail lamp, fuel door and of course the bumper/valance .

I would suggest refinishing it with the door, trunk and glass hatch open and the mentioned adjacent apertures taped off. This will allow you to paint the full panel so there will be no tell tale tape lines.

The cost to include that would be quite a bit more than just the bumper alone.

The quarter would likely add about $700.00 and together it would be in the $2200-$2500 range to repair both.

I would not let this damage deter me from buying a otherwise fine car though as you pointed out, I really don't know the rest of the vehicle's condition.

I agree, ignorance can be dangerous, and expensive but a quality Pre Purchase Inspection by a professional can provide confidence and make for a less stressful experience for both parties, whether they are friends or not. It is advice that is frequently given here on NSXPrime by many and LynchburgJack(Brenten) I suggest you consider doing one. :smile:

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but the yellow is the hardest color to match?

I was told red. It has the most colors. But maybe you mean due to its pearl. I have seen worse BUMPERS then that repaired. Repair vs Cost of new one.

My wife 645 is Stratus Gray---Pearl and 4 other colors. Similar damage....1100 to repair and paint vs new 2100

They had to paint more then the damaged bumper also...... Not even BMW can tell its been painted and repaired

Last edited:
I've been painting cars for over 35 years. There are no absolutes. The same color can be easy on one car hard on another. Being a great painter or applicator, does not preclude the ability to see what a color needs to correctly move it in the right direction. You either see what is needed or you don't. If you don't, you blame the paint or color.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I've been painting cars for over 35 years. There are no absolutes. The same color can be easy on one car hard on another. Being a great painter or applicator, does not preclude the ability to see what a color needs to correctly move it in the right direction. You either see what is needed or you don't. If you don't, you blame the paint or color.:biggrin:

My Uncle has been painting for 30 years also. He always told me with the right tools----if you a good painter you can make it match

My Uncle has been painting for 30 years also. He always told me with the right tools----if you a good painter you can make it match

Pencils don't make the poet.
You either see the color or you don't.
I'm sure your unlce does a fine job matching colors.

I see your unlce and raise you two uncles and one father who painted cars as well.:biggrin:

Back