• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone talk me out of Porsche?

Take the Porsche id say, its fast as hell.
And if you cant find the right nsx near you, just take the 996. Its a bit faster and well its a German Automobile!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
There's an emotional connection -
Your case is very simple. The NSX excites you the most. Get the NSX

Good luck.

Hi Tiger 740, nsxtasy and everybody!

I agree again with nsxtasy

Now you must take decisions about what kind of NSX you want regarding your actual budget and also your future budget.

On the performance side, going Porsche or NSX, you won't be disapointed, but on the emotional side yes if you go Porsche regarding what you wrote and what you seem to feel.

In my case I did follow my feelings and I absolutely not regret my NSX purchase even though if sometimes on the street cheaper cars are quicker than mine.( But IMO none are beautifuller! )

Back to the budget question,

how much do you intend to spend for your car?

Because you have two options:

put all your money on the best possible stock NSX available ( I mean to acquire the a 97 to 01 coupe or T, if you can afford it, otherwise get the best NSX what your $$$ will buy you...( and best is a personal concept that could oscillate between closest possible to new condition and most recent version, it's up to you... )

or

pre determine a specific amount of money to spend on mods you should like to do and take the remaining $$$ to

choose the "best" NSX you'll find with that $$$ ( you will have an older one but modified and perhaps quicker...or nicer; again modified is a personal concept that oscilate...
smile.gif
)

Some other details:

First:

As I wrote before, in this car category you can't be disapointed on overall quality THIS IS WHY YOU MUST DECIDE ON THE FEELING BASIS!

Secondly:

This all aluminum design exotic is maybe one of the best quality and the very finest product money can buy in the automotive world.
There is very few cars that can show as much technology than an NSX, not to forgot about its durability with time.

So remember, with an NSX you are not purchasing a common STEEL vehicle whatever the performance numbers, you are going for a milestone, A REFERENCE...

I have a '91 version and my car is still looking like a brand new one. People just don't believe my car is eleven years old!!!

Go for the NSX.

And IF you appear to be not totally satisfied later, so easy to make the switch for a Porsche... but you won't...

Was my 2 cents ( I know they are Canadian
biggrin.gif
but I hope to help you )

effer

p.s. Since the 996 version it is better but I always considered Porsche's windshields to be unacceptably vertical wich doesn't make sense with the definition of a truly sports car, not bad though good for a truck...

Originally posted by Mike O:

2) Re the Boxster S, Len doesn't seem to like it (it seems), and says it would be a good car for his wife. Ouch...

Mike , Let me qualify it. I didn't mean I didn't like it. It just doesn't have the power. Like you said 50 more HP and I am there. Other than that it is a car that I would sneak rides in if my wife wanted it.
She drives the 928GT.

Without a doubt, the Boxster S is absolutely the best of all those Porsches I've owned over the years (even though I'd love to have the 930 Turbo Cab back). It is the most balanced car of the bunch. It is VERY comparable to the NSX whether or not anyone else here believes it (or not).

I agree that the 930's were very nice. But other than balance the Boxster(S) would not
fulfill the person looking to have the experience of the NSX. Not even close.
The S is a nice car but the NSX is on a different level. Tell him about your C2s.
Really give him something to think about.

Most car magazines have hailed the Boxster S as the premier sports car available on the market today, and for good reason.

Yeah,but for what uses. People define sports cars and their uses totally different.
I didn't know the 928 wasn't supposed to be on the track , "it was a grand tourer" but with a few enhancements it was formidable.
That is why I was so Drawn to the NSX after riding and driving one for day, I couldn't believe that it was the best car for ME on the track. I had found a car that was MY compliment. I did not ask a sole if I should buy it. I just asked about the cars and their
ticks if any. He shouldn't ask anyone to pick a car for him. All his answers will be biased. He should as you, I , Allen and others have said, buy what he wants. I would ask people what they would change about any car that I was looking at. Don't get me wrong
I am not arguing with you at all. I am not some NSX obsessed owner. I LIKE CARS all of them. But like yourself for some reason or another I have owned the P-cars more.
Give the Boxster 300hp and I would buy it.
But I wouldn't choose it over an NSX any day,
not even at 350hp. I like it just not enough for it to be my car. Love the yellow though.

Just my 2 cents...(and I still love my NSX)
Mike see we both had some of the same cars,
same model years.
We both ended up with NSX's.
He should look at the cars without even thinking about what baised opinions we have given. Just buy what compliments him.
JAO
Len

I drove a porsche boxster (99) and I thought it was a peice of junk! It squeaked and rattled and it only had 28K on it! The clutch creaked everytime I shifted... no thank you! On top of all that, it was SLOW.

Now, I know the Boxster S is a much faster car, but if it is the same quality of the car I drove, then there is NO WAY I would ever own one.

--of course.. that is just ONE experience and it could have been a bad apple I guess.

Len,

"Tell him about the C2S"...Believe it or not, I like my new Boxster S more than the '98 Speed Yellow C2S I owned. The C2S with an Aerokit is without a doubt one of the best looking cars on the road...period. Even better than the NSX, in my opinion. That said, the ergonomics of the C2S, the crappy AC system, the handling with the rear weight bias, etc. make me like my Boxster S way more. The Boxster S, in my opinion, deserves all the accolades it's earned and then some.

BTW, I just made a VERY strong offer on a frame off restored '67 Corvette Convertible I've lusted after for a very long time (owned by a very good friend of 25 years). If I happen to get it, I will then need to decide between my new Boxster S and my near perfect, never been in the rain, 21,700 mile red/black '91 NSX as to which car to keep and which car to sell. To me, that will be one tough decision...

Thanks guys.

I can't wait to have an NSX in my garage! I just realized how much it excited me even when I smelled its exhaust fumes from behind right before I took my first drive. I didn't feel this in 99 996. Perhaps, this tells me a lot.

I may have to depart from my beloved 740. It will be tough, but I hope that NSX will ease the pain.

Tiger, I think it is pretty obvious which car you TRULY desire...

I always believe that if you have to convince yourself to like something, then it's not for you.

I never had to convince myself to like the NSX. I just knew I wanted one. I always get that strange excitement when I see one. No convincing was needed.

On the other hand, let's consider cars such as the Z06 and the Viper. Although I really like their performance prowess, I find myself having to *try* to like the rest of these cars (interior design, seating position, build quality, design philosophy, etc).

Believe me, I wanted very much to like these cars, and tried very hard to convince myself of such. And that is exactly how I knew these cars were not for me.

Len,

BTW, I just made a VERY strong offer on a frame off restored '67 Corvette Convertible I've lusted after for a very long time (owned by a very good friend of 25 years). If I happen to get it, I will then need to decide between my new Boxster S and my near perfect, never been in the rain, 21,700 mile red/black '91 NSX as to which car to keep and which car to sell. To me, that will be one tough decision...

Oohh! how I envy you. My wife wants that car too. :^) She does but I do too. Again very
like tastes. "That is a hard decision"
Lets see get rid of the Boxster.
Keep the NSX, and Put the Vette in the bubble. I love the 63-67 Vettes with a Passion. I am thankful that I get to have the toys that I dreamed of as a child.
Regards
Len

Len,

Here's the specs on the Corvette: (Sorry to be off topic guys)
smile.gif

1967 Convertible...327/300 hp...All #s match...Automatic transmission...Factory Air Conditioning...Power steering, brakes and windows...Telescopic steering column...Factory side exhausts...Bolt on wheels with redline radials...Big block hood...Headrest seats...Lynndale Blue with white interior and white hood stinger...Best of all, never hit with 3 original owners, 60,000 original miles and all the original paperwork.
smile.gif

Damn, I hope I get it, but I sure as heck don't look forward to making the decision between selling the NSX and the Boxster S.

get the nsx
every where i go in boston ,i see porsche.
it gets boring .we need more nsx in boston .
nsx is more reliable more exotic more rare daily driven sport car
just my thoughts
hope to see you around in boston in the future.
good luck and happy hunting

Originally posted by Ak47:
Take the Porsche id say, its fast as hell.

So is the NSX.

just take the 996. Its a bit faster

No, it's not. The NA 996 will post similar numbers to the NSX in acceleration (0-60 and 1/4 mile). A tenth or two faster or a tenth or two slower, depending on which year 996 and which year NSX, and which body style - but they'll be very, very close, either way.

The 996 Turbo is a different story entirely.

well its a German Automobile!

Oh yeah, that's true... which is why the 996 is somewhat heavier, and the controls and interior layout are kind of funky and counter-intuitive, that kind of thing. Good point - one more reason to get the NSX instead of the 996.
biggrin.gif

You are killing them NSXTASY. Go get them,I got your back, brother.

Actually, I really do believe that you should get whichever car you feel strongly about. Even if it's the Porsche.

I have a friend who recently sold his NA 996 due to some personal circumstances. He's a die-hard Porsche fan. He's driven my NSX and he still prefers the Porsche. (I really don't understand why, because the NSX is just as fast as his Porsche, but the NSX handling and driving experience is just so much crisper and sharper and more responsive, but his attachment is to the Porsche, for whatever reason.) So for him, he should keep buying Porsches, because he's tried them both, and that's what he likes better.

FWIW, the NA 996 did absolutely nothing for me emotionally. I guess I just don't "get it", don't understand why people like it. On the road, it seemed... sloppy. The F355, by comparison, is very crisp, a lot more like the NSX than the 996 is; if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

Len,

Here's the specs on the Corvette: (Sorry to be off topic guys)
smile.gif

Damn, I hope I get it, but I sure as heck don't look forward to making the decision between selling the NSX and the Boxster S.
Awesome car. Auto for cruising I likes.
Now you know that you want to keep that NSX
over that Boxster:^)

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Actually, I really do believe that you should get whichever car you feel strongly about. Even if it's the Porsche.

He's a die-hard Porsche fan. He's driven my NSX and he still prefers the Porsche. (I really don't understand why, because the NSX is just as fast as his Porsche, but the NSX handling and driving experience is just so much crisper and sharper and more responsive.

FWIW, the NA 996 did absolutely nothing for me emotionally. I guess I just don't "get it", don't understand why people like it. On the road, it seemed... sloppy.

I agree, I can't stand the 996 version.
The older versions were more raw, That is what I liked about them. I learned how to drive that car on the track, everything else
seemed easy. The new 996 is supposed to be refined, it's bland to me. I guess if I'm going to drive and like what's called refinded by some, it's the NSX for me until
355 & 360's come down more in price.

Cars you just gotta love em.
Len

Test drove the Boxter S as well as the new 911, both lackluster when compared to the NSX. No road feel and you feel disconnected. Very different compared to the older air cooled 911. Me, I have the NSX, wife has a 89 911 Carrera Cab.

If you want something fast and practical, get an M3 BMW and before anyone flames me, they are very fast, My M3 is as fast as my 98 NSX but alas, no road feel. The M3 gets alot of attention on the road but nothing like the NSX, and more than the Porsche.

Tim

My friend and I test drove a '97 Boxster, he loved it , I was impressed with its torque at low rpm and its brakes. Other than that the steering is mediocre, the steering wheel is HUGE, the shifter is HUGE and there was a surprising amount of body roll. I like both the S2000 and the NSX more, guess I'm just a
Honda geek.

Just sat in a GT-2 at the local dealership. Silver, black interior, beautiful, and nice seats. Wow, I don't think anyone who's willing to pay the large "market adjustment" could be talked out of this car - it's definitely THE turn-key, street legal racer for the current model year.

Back