• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

No talk about the PURE900 turbo upgrade?

All these wonderful videos of high horsepower gains. I, however (more often than not) seem to find videos of highly modified engines giving up the ghost soon thereafter. Then, they are taken apart, internals are strengthened, etc. And then they blow again. Maybe I'm just unlucky with my YouTube searches. BTW, have you checked the price of a NC1 engine? Not too many used ones around.

There is not much point in comparing the NSX JNC1 engine to other cars because it is not other cars. Every engine has its own weakest link before a built engine is needed. Could be pistons, rods, head gasket, crank etc. While I’m just as thrilled to finally see development for this platform we simply don’t know what that limit is until we have more data from people pushing the limits.

JNC1 is great engine no doubt but pushing the car at 500HP in endurance racing is not the same thing as pushing a car on a dyno or drag strip for brief intervals. Managing thermal stress and sustaining high RPM will be key for road course car and managing torque and associated stress would be key for a drag car / dyno queen. Motorsport engines are generally purpose built for the intended application. You won’t see a drag car last many laps on a road course and a car built for road courses won’t post the best times dig racing. JNC1 was clearly made for endurance racing rather than drag racing. Can it make more power reliably? Sure. How much? To be determined. Anyone who claims to know for sure otherwise is just guessing.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what the JNC1 can do, but I don't envy the tester's wallet lol.

My neighbor down the street had a GT-R. He got it around 2013 when I had my black NSX. He always made fun of my car "it looks cool but it's so slow," etc.- at the time his GT-R was tuned to about 900 whp. I didn't see it drive much though- it always seemed to be down for service. Then when I got my GT-R he got really excited and tried to get me to use his tuner, who was a well known local hack known for detonating WRXs and Evos all over the front range. I steered clear and went with Ben Linney in the UK and my car ran like a dream. I dailied it for years all year round. We tuned it to about 700 hp and 600 lb/ft. The car ran beautifully and OEM-like on stock internals LOL. :D

About a year later I see him walking his dog and we chat a little. He bragged that he just got a $25,000 AMS intake (he was always bragging about the cost of his parts) but his car is down again because it blew up at the drag strip. Rods just snapped. I mentioned if his tuner made sure to remove the torque "hump" (like Ben had warned me) in the power curve and he had no idea what I was talking about, but said his guy was the "best" and was rebuilding the entire engine at his own cost for like $30,000 (always a lot of zeros with him). Anyway a year later he pulls up to my house. This is the first time I've seen this GT-R in almost 2 years. I should say I heard it coming up the street but not in a good way. The car was shaking at idle and there was a ton of clunks and rattles. Now, the GT-R is known for its clunkiness, but this was different to my mechanical ear. He was so proud of it. This time, it had billet rods and was tuned to 1,000 hp. It also had a Shep trans. He said he was taking it to the half mile race and that I should bring my GT-R. I politely declined and said I might go as a spectator. He took off and the car sounded like it was going to shake itself apart.

Another year goes by and I run into him walking my dogs this time. I notice the GT-R is not in his garage. He tells me that it blew up at the half mile. Rods went straight through the block. He's "had it" with the local guy and the car is in Florida with "the best GT-R tuners in the world. The guys who do the UGR Lambos for like pro athletes and drug dealers," etc.). He's spending "$100,000" on getting the car fully built there. Billet block, rods, pistons. Full race trans with straight cut gears. Huge turbos. All the stuff. The "street mode" will be 1,440 hp and "track mode" a cool 2,000 hp. I tell him that's cool and I hope the car turns out great. He asked me what I had done to mine and I just said HKS resonated midpipe and 1050 injectors. He was like "oh." LOL

So that summer the GT-R pulls up to my house...all 2,000 hp of it. He's put on like 315 drag tires (the ones with the wrinkly sidewalls) and it has these riveted on fender flares to cover the mega wide tires. He tells me the body shop did all the custom fitting and painting and it was about $25,000 for the work. It looked like a 9-year old did it- gaps, wavy fiberglass, holograms, orange peel, etc., but whatever (side note- he tried to convince me to use that shop to paint the Zero). He shows me the gold-plated engine (literally) with AMS everything, the huge Garrett turbos, etc. He said he's taking it to the "Texas Mile" which is where all these 2,000 hp cars supposedly go to race and that it's exclusive and only the fastest cars in the USA are invited. He thinks his GT-R is one of the fastest if not the fastest in the entire country: "Maybe 3rd or 4th at worst." I ask him where his parachute box is and, no joke, he answers "what for?" I say that's really cool and good luck. Never saw the car again on the road that summer.

So I'm walking my dogs again in the Fall and I notice the GT-R is missing from his garage again. He tells me that at the "Texas Mile" on his second pass the crankshaft shattered. Like bent and cracked in several places. This caused the pistons and rods to basically explode. This all occurred at 160 mph. The car dumped all of its oil out of the cracked block, spun and flipped several times (no race cage either). Thankfully he walked away with some bruises and cuts but no broken bones. He sold off all of the million dollar parts that could be salvaged and the car is gone.

Fast forward a couple years and I noticed a few days ago that there were two Ducati race bikes in his garage...

Anyway, when I see threads like this, this is what I think about. I saw that car actually drive on the road maybe 3 or 4 times over the span of like 5 years. I daily drove my 700 hp GT-R on stock internals for nearly 30,000 trouble-free miles. I feel like these mega builds are cool from a magazine or social media content persepctive, but I never actually see them around. Whether it's a GT-R or a Lambo or a Hellcat or whatever. They always seem to spend more time in the shop than on the road, even when they're running right.

Would love to hear some more discussion about the original topic. How much different are the PURE900 turbos than the GT3 turbos on the Type S? Any word of a collaboration with SOS/KTuner for a tune to pair with the turbo upgrade? Would these turbos necessitate other supporting upgrades like intercoolers? Had considered intercoolers but don't seem like a great bang for the buck at stock or mildly increased boost levels.
The Type S housings are likely the same size as the standard NSX meaning the same capability.

I haven't found anything showing otherwise but maybe someone knows?

Ok so do want us to buy the pure turbos, or are you going to do this with your NC1?

Ok so do want us to buy the pure turbos, or are you going to do this with your NC1?
I wanted to inform NSX owners that there is an exciting option. Instead the people who should be promoting that info already (the staff here) are tellling enthusiasts to not get excited.

Just feels odd rooting against what should be your own interests.

For me personally, if this pans out with flex-fuel then I'll sell a car and pick up a nice NC1 and have at it. That ~850 whp range on the street plus electric assist down low is perfect IMO if the AWD puts the power down.

Last edited:
My 4000# 2013 Audi S4 ran a 10.8 in the 1/4 on E40 with the heat pump spun to max inefficient RPM. This equates to over 600 HP from a 3.0L Audi rated at 333 HP from the factory. Many others have recorded low 10’s on the same platform. Rarely if ever did I hear of these motors blowing, and I was heavily involved in discussion about these vehicles for a few years. I have high hopes the NC1’s 3.5L ICE has at least a couple hundred extra HP available to reliably tease out.

Why is everyone so up in arms about the 1K WHP??? LOL. I'll be happy to have my NSX 700HP at the crank with stock internals. maybe it because I'm an underachiever =/
It's just ego. Everyone else is excited about the potential.

I think you may get close to that 700 hp crank with exhaust, downpipes, and the K-Tuner E50 map depending on how aggressive that map is. The Type S fuel system is capable of a bit more as I understand it.

For me personally, if this pans out with flex-fuel then I'll sell a car and pick up a nice NC1 and have at it.
While I appreciate the new enthusiasm around this platform and I am seriously considering upgraded turbos myself, this is simply the wrong platform to push on a dyno for social media bragging rights.

If you blow up your JNC1 engine while doing a 1,000 HP pull and can’t find a used engine from a wrecked car this is what your replacement engine block and heads alone cost. A lot of other components will also need replaced in a catastrophic failure, not to mention labor. This is why most of us are advocating for a conservative tune with these new turbos rather than a bragging rights tune. If you blow a Coyote motor or an LT4 engine it’s not that big of a deal. If you blow a JNC1 engine it’s big $$$.
627F0876-0358-40BA-8321-82C7B52D1967.png
No wonder the activity here is so low.
Forums are sadly drying up as most activity is on Facebook these days. Most of the FB groups verify you actually own an NC1 NSX however as this platform seems to for whatever reason be a magnet to keyboard warriors with countless opinions on the car but no actual seat time in one.

Forums are sadly drying up as most activity is on Facebook these days. Most of the FB groups verify you actually own an NC1 NSX however as this platform seems to for whatever reason be a magnet to keyboard warriors with countless opinions on the car but no actual seat time in one.

That's a good point and IG as well. It's tough to build a community though without prospective owners being welcome or doing research. Some people don't buy a car until you can tune it and learn about the platform for example.

If you blow up your JNC1 engine while doing a 1,000 HP pull and can’t find a used engine from a wrecked car this is what your replacement engine block and heads alone cost. A lot of other components will also need replaced in a catastrophic failure, not to mention labor. This is why most of us are advocating for a conservative tune with these new turbos rather than a bragging rights tune. If you blow a Coyote motor or an LT4 engine it’s not that big of a deal. If you blow a JNC1 engine it’s big $$$.

This chart was posted earlier and it's a great point to make as to what it will cost to replace parts from the factory. People should be aware of the costs and risks before tuning.

I'm not going for 1000 whp or whatever it was mentioned as simply not even being a special benchmark any longer so ~850 whp is really nothing crazy.

If I wanted bragging rights I'd just do a billet block 5.2 V10 but I'm not looking for 2500 whp or whatever. The NSX with the combination of electric instant torque and a bigger turbos for punch up top is a sweet spot and best of all worlds IMO for the street.

Honda is conservative to begin with so I think there is room to play. That's my view.

Ok, here's how we're going to proceed. I've deleted all of the internet fighting posts. Keep all of that stuff on FB, not here.

@Shenanigans, I see that you're new here. In fact, all of your posts so far on this forum have been about the Pure900 turbos and nothing else about the NSX. That's fine actually and new members are welcome in the community. However, it's not a good idea to come into a car community and start fighting with and insulting members of the community from day one, including ones who have been affiliated with this platform for more than 20 years and have given back to the community using their own time and money. This isn't prison where you have to kick someone's ass on the first day to gain respect. The way you gain respect on NSX Prime is to give back to the car community. Whether that is helping owners (virtually or in person if local) with a problem or selling a useful product for the NSX that will keep it going into the future, or even donating your own time and money to help owners at NSX events, dozens of which occur around the country every year. Keep doing that over the months and years and you get real respect here, not the fake social media variety.

You're right- there isn't a lot of activity around here compared to other communities. That's because this is not the Corvette or Mustang forum. Honda made very few NSXs and even fewer NC1 NSXs. It's a small community by nature and we're ok with that. We all mostly know each other too. Anyway, just some advice for proceeding. Keep the discussion on topic and you'll be fine.

I do have two questions though:

1. Do you currently own (not your "shop" or your mom or dad or good buddy) a NC1 NSX?
2. Are you affiliated with a commercial enterprise that is selling and/or installing the Pure900 turbo upgrades for the NSX?

The reason I ask is that if you are selling the product or helping someone else sell it, this thread belongs in the vendors forum, where potential customers can ask anything they want about it. The general forums like this one are intended for people who actually own the car.

Honcho

Ok, here's how we're going to proceed. I've deleted all of the internet fighting posts. Keep all of that stuff on FB, not here.

@Shenanigans, I see that you're new here. In fact, all of your posts so far on this forum have been about the Pure900 turbos and nothing else about the NSX. That's fine actually and new members are welcome in the community. However, it's not a good idea to come into a car community and start fighting with and insulting members of the community from day one, including ones who have been affiliated with this platform for more than 20 years and have given back to the community using their own time and money. This isn't prison where you have to kick someone's ass on the first day to gain respect. The way you gain respect on NSX Prime is to give back to the car community. Whether that is helping owners (virtually or in person if local) with a problem or selling a useful product for the NSX that will keep it going into the future, or even donating your own time and money to help owners at NSX events, dozens of which occur around the country every year. Keep doing that over the months and years and you get real respect here, not the fake social media variety.

You're right- there isn't a lot of activity around here compared to other communities. That's because this is not the Corvette or Mustang forum. Honda made very few NSXs and even fewer NC1 NSXs. It's a small community by nature and we're ok with that. We all mostly know each other too. Anyway, just some advice for proceeding. Keep the discussion on topic and you'll be fine.

I do have two questions though:

1. Do you currently own (not your "shop" or your mom or dad or good buddy) a NC1 NSX?
2. Are you affiliated with a commercial enterprise that is selling and/or installing the Pure900 turbo upgrades for the NSX?

The reason I ask is that if you are selling the product or helping someone else sell it, this thread belongs in the vendors forum, where potential customers can ask anything they want about it. The general forums like this one are intended for people who actually own the car.

Honcho
He actually said that if the potential in the NC1 is truly as he believes it to be, then he "may" sell a car and get an NC1...

1. No. Already stated several times. I'm interested in this upgrade and was surprised nobody was talking about it.

2. No. You're welcome to talk to Jesse the owner at Pure Turbos though maybe he wants to advertise. He's a nice guy.

He actually said that if the potential in the NC1 is truly as he believes it to be, then he "may" sell a car and get an NC1...

Exactly. I've been up front about that...

1. No. Already stated several times. I'm interested in this upgrade and was surprised nobody was talking about it.

2. No. You're welcome to talk to Jesse the owner at Pure Turbos though maybe he wants to advertise. He's a nice guy.
Ok. We'll leave this here for now. All posters should stay on topic.

agree ..fair moderation...Billy of course did spend substantial IP/time with some very useful real world experience in the performance scene..I'm glad the site allows for his posts to be preserved.

I wish KTuner or SoS would come online and provide/input on where they stand in this "turbo upgrade" process, what they are looking at in terms of $$$ and HP, and when they will become available.

Since those two are the most prominent players in the small NC1 NSX tuning community, their inputs would be given much more weight and seriousness.

I used to own a 991.1TTS before, and I was pleased with the aftermarket exhaust, HF cats, ECU, and PDK tunes at o/a 650HP.

I would say 95% of the NC1 NSX owners, including myself, would be happy to purchase a package available at $10,000-$15000 (Upgraded Turbo, Intercooler, HF Cats, Tune, and trans tune) that produces reliably 700HP at the crank and low 10s 1/4. That would put it in the league of 720S-750S, 296GTB and F8, and 992TTS. '

Would everyone agree?

I wish KTuner or SoS would come online and provide/input on where they stand in this "turbo upgrade" process, what they are looking at in terms of $$$ and HP, and when they will become available.

Since those two are the most prominent players in the small NC1 NSX tuning community, their inputs would be given much more weight and seriousness.
Here is the latest comment from SoS on these turbos (and my response).

1707929451343.jpeg
I would say 95% of the NC1 NSX owners, including myself, would be happy to purchase a package available at $10,000-$15000 (Upgraded Turbo, Intercooler, HF Cats, Tune, and trans tune) that produces reliably 700HP at the crank and low 10s 1/4. That would put it in the league of 720S-750S, 296GTB and F8, and 992TTS. '

Would everyone agree?

Turbos, intercoolers and high flow downpipes and Ktuner are about $14.2k before labor and any custom tuning so we’re already north of $15k unless you have some of these parts already.
Pure turbos: $4,995.
Intercoolers: $4,465.
Sport downpipes: $3,600.
Ktuner: $1,199

TCM isn’t cracked for a trans tune yet that I’m aware of, but I agree this would be nice as clutch capacities and line pressure could be increased to support more power with less slippage.

It isn’t clear yet if clutches will need upgraded, but Dodson clutches on 991 turbo are ~$15k for reference.

If all you want is 700HP at the crank and low 10s, I think you can get there with stock turbos, high flow downpipes and Ktune stage 2 tune for ethanol blend / race gas and a good tire.

Target for upgraded turbos IMO should be 9 sec quarter mile and ~140mph + trap.

Last edited:

View attachment 188298

Turbos, intercoolers and high flow downpipes and Ktuner are about $14.2k before labor and any custom tuning so we’re already north of $15k unless you have some of these parts already.

TCM isn’t cracked for a trans tune yet that I’m aware of, but I agree this would be nice as clutch capacities and line pressure could be increased to support more power with less slippage.

It isn’t clear yet if clutches will need upgraded, but Dodson clutches on 991 turbo are ~$15k for reference.

If all you want is 700HP at the crank and low 10s, I think you can get there with stock turbos, high flow downpipes and Ktune stage 2 tune for ethanol blend / race gas and a good tire.

"If all you want is 700HP at the crank and low 10s, I think you can get there with stock turbos, high flow downpipes and Ktune stage 2 tune for ethanol blend / race gas and a good tire"

To answer the above, I think something along the lines of "reliable 700-720HP at the crank and low 10s, with upgraded turbos, HF "catted" DPs, Ktune, and 91oct (because it is accessible to 99% of the people) would make the NSX one of the best daily driver period!!! beside the benchmark 911TurboS

For me, I would do the following and I'll be happy for a very long time...
= around 10K
Installation $2500ish

So, maybe some NSX packages as follows with "reliable" HP figures:
$5K Stage 2 = Tune, DPs, - 625HP
$10K Stage 3 = Tune, DPs, upgraded Turbos - 700HP
$15K Stage 3+ = Tune, DPs, upgraded Turbos and ICs - 720HP
$20K Stage 4 = Tune, DPs, upgraded Turbos and ICs, and Trans upgrade. - 800HP-ish

One can only hope...lol

Last edited:
The Type S housings are likely the same size as the standard NSX meaning the same capability.

I haven't found anything showing otherwise but maybe someone knows?

Housings are identical casted by Acura. Turbo CHRA/Wheels are Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI). The Type S (GT3) turbos are also on 20+ Euro cars, which most aren't aware of...

17-21 USD compressor wheels are 43.4/56mm
22 USD compressor wheels are 47/58mm.

View attachment 188298

TCM is cracked.

Just wanted to point out the car did low 10's with just the JB4 on an E45 blend. Upgraded turbos should be capable of 9's at ~145:

Getting into the 9's would def not only require the upgraded turbos, but also an E40 blend with clutch, transmission upgrades with a K Tuner STAGE III tune.

Last edited:
Back