• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I afford an NSX?

Thanks for your wisdom everyone. I have already gotten counseling from a buddy who owns an NSX and he informed me of the maintenance cost and reliability. Seems pretty solid for a mid-engine RWD supercar. I already bought a used Mazda as a commute car so I am in no rush. Funny thing is... I called my insurance company and they said it costs less to insure a 1994 NSX + Mazda compared to my new FR-S + Mazda. I also have plenty of gearhead friends who would love to work on a NSX so I am not in the dark here.

Seems like Low+Mid 30k is a good range for a 1994 and earlier car. I am not sure how much mileage is too much but I have heard the chassis was only designed to last 150k miles.
Also I am 28 if that makes any difference to some people...

welcome back.....boy at 28 you are too old for me:eek:.......the only statement of structural integrity was made to us by one of the fathers of the nsx and he said the frame was designed to last 30 years.....many owners are quite happy with their cars after double your rumored 150 k expiration..

I am not sure how much mileage is too much but I have heard the chassis was only designed to last 150k miles.

I'm glad nobody ever made that erroneous comment to me when I bought my '96 in '99 with 21k miles on it.

I might not have driven it a total of 154k now with 111 track days and over 12,000 track miles.

I am not sure how much mileage is too much but I have heard the chassis was only designed to last 150k miles.

Chasis can certainly go WELL past 150k, there are lots of cars running far more than that.

Here's my two cent take on mileage:

below 30k - very low mileage
30-70k - low mileage
70-125k - average mileage
125k-175k - high mileage
175k+ - very high mileage

Check service records though, some 150k cars are in better shape than 40k cars due to owner care, so don't discount a higher mileage well taken care of NSX.

OP I think you should buy a salvage NSX and do the orange and black paint job on it.
A salvage title will be cheaper and although it too will be devalued by the paint job it won't lose as much value.
You don't have a lot of respect for the NSX or you wouldn't contemplate a two tone orange and black paint job so please don't ruin a perfectly good NSX.

OP I think you should buy a salvage NSX and do the orange and black paint job on it.
A salvage title will be cheaper and although it too will be devalued by the paint job it won't lose as much value.
You don't have a lot of respect for the NSX or you wouldn't contemplate a two tone orange and black paint job so please don't ruin a perfectly good NSX.

hey now what's wrong with two tones.....:biggrin:

hey now what's wrong with two tones.....:biggrin:

Two tones look great on a 57 Chev!!

As orange and black are McLaren colors painting an NSX in McLaren colors is like putting Ferrari badges on an NSX like some other poster did.
Cheapens the car in my mind.

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

I arrest my case...............

I had to glue my chassis back together with adhesive. Damn you Japanese are your terrible workmanship.:rolleyes:
To the original poster. As you can elready figure out, we love our cars. So don't be surprised or discouraged when people give you flak here. They mean you well.

How do you arrest a case anyway? I think the term you are looking is space ranger! Or , "I rest my case".

How do you arrest a case anyway? I think the term you are looking is space ranger! Or , "I rest my case".

indubidably.........

indubidably.........
No worries docjohn, it's Friday and I myself am already on my 3rd martini prior to dinner. Yes that is right a martini. I'm a snob I know.:smile:

........and I drinkith my wine...

Back