• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Canadian Question - Day time running lights

Hello Prime members. has any one ever installed day time running lights? and if so is it possible for the instructions?

Thanks!

cheers mates!!!

I have posted a how to for 1st gen pop up head lamp cars.
This mod uses the front park lamps and does not dim your dash lamps or turn on the rear and side markers:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126911

Someone out of Montreal did the same on the new '02 front end lamps using the park lamp as well.
Where are you from? If you are needing to pass inspection in Canada, this has never failed.

Warren.

So, I bought a bunch of Diodes last night, could you clarify which ones would be the correct ones to use? The fellow at the electronics store had no idea when I tried to explain the application I was using them for.

He did say that diodes will get very hot, and will likely melt tape and plastic around them? Is this the case, and if so, how do you insulate them properly so they don't short out if insulation melts? Thanks.

The package (left in second picture) that says assorted Rectifier Diodes says miniature 1 Amp diodes on the back.

So, I bought a bunch of Diodes last night, could you clarify which ones would be the correct ones to use? The fellow at the electronics store had no idea when I tried to explain the application I was using them for.

He did say that diodes will get very hot, and will likely melt tape and plastic around them? Is this the case, and if so, how do you insulate them properly so they don't short out if insulation melts? Thanks.

The package (left in second picture) that says assorted Rectifier Diodes says miniature 1 Amp diodes on the back.

any of those will work They will not get hot for the use we have intended. The 1or 3 Amp will work well. witha 10 Watt bulb operating at 12 volts, you are looking at 0.83 amps load on the diode.. Most bulbs are 3 or 4 watts.

Many thanks WarrenW.....once I get the system put back to original US version, I will let you know how things turn out...

Without day time running lights you will get stopped by the police and MPIC will refuse to insure the car as road worthy until it's fixed. Did you not read the WFP?

Without day time running lights you will get stopped by the police and MPIC will refuse to insure the car as road worthy until it's fixed. Did you not read the WFP?

Wow - where do you live???

to clarify - once I get the DRL modification that I had done, put back to the way I got it from the US (no DRL's) I will then re-do WarrenW's method above - it is a legality here, in addition , I beleive in the safety aspect of DRL's, especially on such a low vehicle as the NSX. Heck, if I can prevent anyone from running in to me, why wouldn't I? Not sure why all cars (US) don't have this automatically from factory...whether its law or not...its plain good sense...make your vehicle more visible.

Odd, my car is from Wisconsin and I don't have DRL's and definitely didn't have a problem licencing it or insuring it and no cop around here is smart enough to know that it is supposed to have DRL's let alone what the car even is :)

Thats crazy they wont let you drive it for not having those lights. I smoked the yellow markers on the side of my car then took the bulbs out so it is all black, looks way cleaner and I drive past cops all day long it seems.

Here is a question to slycurt. Did you get your DRLs installed at the Acura dealer in Winnipeg? And now are all your running lights on all the time and your interior panel lights hard to see because they are in night mode?
This is my problem. I am thinking of taking it back and getting them to remove or undo what ever they did then doing this procedure. I hate not being able to see what time it is or what radio channel I am on, or especially reading the climate contol information.
This is on my list of things to do this winter while the car is in storage, along with remove my brake calipers and getting them powder coated and gutting the interior and cleaning the carpet. Who ever thought that putting white carpet on a car was a good idea?
I will be sending a PM to warrenw with some more detailed questions about this installation.

Here is a question to slycurt. Did you get your DRLs installed at the Acura dealer in Winnipeg? And now are all your running lights on all the time and your interior panel lights hard to see because they are in night mode?
This is my problem. I am thinking of taking it back and getting them to remove or undo what ever they did then doing this procedure. I hate not being able to see what time it is or what radio channel I am on, or especially reading the climate contol information.
This is on my list of things to do this winter while the car is in storage, along with remove my brake calipers and getting them powder coated and gutting the interior and cleaning the carpet. Who ever thought that putting white carpet on a car was a good idea?
I will be sending a PM to warrenw with some more detailed questions about this installation.

Hi DeVinci13, what year is your NSX?

As well I saw on the RIV when you bring in to Canada that they do not want you to do any mods to the car prior to being inspected. My tought on this was I would like to do my own DRL but when you have to buy the module for a 02 - 05 from Canadian Tire, doesn't that give it away!!! when you by-pass all the lights except for the little marker lamp that sits between the high and low lamp???

Does any one have any food for thought on that? I am confused because I would really like to do it myself and not have any guy working on my car, but then again I dont want there to be a problem when I get it inspected????

Actually, I had a very good local stereo installer who owns his own custom shop for performance and A/V stuff do it. He's a great guy. came to my home and did it up within about an hour....I don't think he knew about the diode process...just used a relay I think. But I want to have him undo it and I will do the revised installation myself in the off-season.

Regarding RIV, I got a temp permit and went and picked up the car on the US side, just south of the border...brought it back through US and Canadian customs. Then, I knew I would need DRL's, so I called him and he came and did it. I would think you could certainly do the Warren isntallation yourself prior to getting RIV inspection. I don't think they really care....I went to Canadian Tire, they did their inspection, had me start car, looked at DRL's and that was that. Never asked a thing, just indicated that DRL's were fine.

As a side note, when I called Crown to look at getting this done prior, they said that they would do it, but the park lights and interior lights would be on (night mode) all the time....so it would be the same as I have now. I did find it odd that interior lights would have to be on, but if that is how the dealer did it, then it would be ok I thought. So until I saw Warren's procedure, I didn't know of anything different. I am in Winkler, so 90 miles away to go to dealer, so that is why my local guy did it...same as dealer would have done.

Defintely want to get it changed to this method though....I can't see a thing in my radio or a/c as it sits now...in the sunlight.

My car is a 1991. Because my car is a 1991 I didn't have to go to Canadian Tire to get the Federal inspection done. I just needed a provincial inspection so I could get the car registered. I picked up my car from Virginia and drove it home. I took it to my local mechanic (have used him for over 20 years, trust him without question) to get the provincial vehicle inspection done. The car passed with flying colours, just had to replace one windshield wiper and install DRLs.
I took it to Crown Acura to get the DRLs installed and they told me that it would always be in night mode after the installation. I didn't care at first because I just wanted to pass inspection and get the car registered so I could drive it. The inspection was just start the car, and are the DRLs on. They didn't really care how it was done, as long as the DRLs were on when the car was running. But, now the more I drive it the more it bothers me.
After driving down to Las Vegas for NSXpo I am going to take it back to Crown Acura and get them to reverse what ever they did and I going to do the Warren method.

Don't let the Acura Dealer in Winnipeg touch your car for DRLs! Your dash lamps will be dim and your tail lights will be on all the time. (I have seen their work personally)
My suggestion is wire the park lamps as DRLS, go get your inspection and you will pass the DRL part.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126911

DRLs are a requirement in all of Canada on all cars and trucks from 1989 and newer.. I have driven a 66 mustang for years without DRLs. No one sees me coming and it seems everyone just pulls out in front of me like I am invisable. Canadians seem to have gotten used to seeing DRLs on all cars.
once installed properly, I suggest leaving them for safety sake.

Last edited:
My car is a 1991. Because my car is a 1991 I didn't have to go to Canadian Tire to get the Federal inspection done. I just needed a provincial inspection so I could get the car registered. I picked up my car from Virginia and drove it home. I took it to my local mechanic (have used him for over 20 years, trust him without question) to get the provincial vehicle inspection done. The car passed with flying colours, just had to replace one windshield wiper and install DRLs.
I took it to Crown Acura to get the DRLs installed and they told me that it would always be in night mode after the installation. I didn't care at first because I just wanted to pass inspection and get the car registered so I could drive it. The inspection was just start the car, and are the DRLs on. They didn't really care how it was done, as long as the DRLs were on when the car was running. But, now the more I drive it the more it bothers me.
After driving down to Las Vegas for NSXpo I am going to take it back to Crown Acura and get them to reverse what ever they did and I going to do the Warren method.

Maybe I can fix your DRLs while we are in Vegas?

My contribution:
I bought this:

http://www.hova.com/positionsljus-led-5-dioder-p-3205-c-3059.aspx

They come with a relay that "feels" when the altarnator runs, that is when the engine runs, so you can conect the LEDs direct to battery and the lams turns on when you start the car. This means that the instrument panel do not dimm. One conection you take to the wire that shall turn the DRL off, for instance, head light.
Perfect for me.
The lamps are, as you surely :) understand, very small, just 100mm and nice. Thay also have a larger version, the double size.

http://www.hova.com/drl-led-universal-rak-philips-12v-p-5465-c-3059.aspx

Hova Com AB
Tel: +46 506 35179
Fax: +46 506 35247
[email protected]

If you need more info - just ask me.
Björn

Good news...
I work for Beer!
but my wife drinks scotch :biggrin:
A few drinks and we will be even.

We will call it a mini Canadian tech session!

I am flying, so we will have to get the tools required in some other way than carry-on luggage.

Warren, I am driving down to Vegas so I can pack a tool kit and supplies. Instead of doing this over posts I will send a PM and we can work this out that way. Make a list of all tools required, all material required and I will put it all together. I will take the NSX in before I leave to get it back to stock and an oil change/tune up before the trip down and it will be ready for its surgery.
Dwayne

Hi Guys,

New member and a first time poster here :) This forum is a wealth of information for newbies like me so thanks to everyone for contributing!

I'm seriously considering importing a NSX from the US into Canada and I want to find a non-intrusive DRL setup that will get the vehicle past RIV. I have been looking at this LED kit.

http://moyanodesign.com/nsx/images/DSC03152.jpg

Does anyone know if this will pass RIV's DRL "standards"?

Hi Guys,

New member and a first time poster here :) This forum is a wealth of information for newbies like me so thanks to everyone for contributing!

I'm seriously considering importing a NSX from the US into Canada and I want to find a non-intrusive DRL setup that will get the vehicle past RIV. I have been looking at this LED kit.

http://moyanodesign.com/nsx/images/DSC03152.jpg

Does anyone know if this will pass RIV's DRL "standards"?

I think it all depends on the inspector. I used a cheap pair of yellow fog lights. Passed with them on. If you got a friend that works at Canadian Tire, I'm sure he'd over look it. :wink:

Back