• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Cannot switch off parking lights & taillights -HELP needed

• Thread starter Thread starter MvM
  • Start date Start date

MvM

Legendary Member
This morning I find my car having a strange electrical problem.

Today the weather is dry and beautiful. So, took the NSX to work.
Was driving with my lights OFF.
At work, I switched of the car, and when I opened the door, the alarm for 'lights still on' sounded.
However, I never switched on the lights on today.
The light switch is in the OFF position. The dashboard lights are also continuously ON.

When I checked my parking lights and my taillights, I notice they are ON even though the headlight switch is in the OFF position.

Turned the switch to the middle position (parking lights), nothing changes.
In the full position with headlights on, works fine. However, simply cannot turn off my parking lights and taillights. I removed fuse 38 and then the parking lights and taillights are OFF. If I switch on my headlights with Fuse 38 OUT, the headlights works fine, but only my left taillight will work.

After putting back fuse 38, the problem remains. Fuse is fine.

For now, I have pulled fuse 38 from the box to switch off the lights so I won't drain my battery. Did not have this problem yesterday yet, just started this morning out off the blue.

Anyone any idea what might be the cause of this problem? And how to solve it?

Last edited:
Possibly* the headlight switch needs replacement. The part is identified as a "SWITCH ASSY., ILLUMINATION & RETRACTABLE CONTROL, Part # 35151-SL0-A02". You may purchase one in the Netherlands for €170.50 here or for €91.23 from California, USA here.

Perhaps you might benefit from the favorable Euro/USD exchange rate when ordering from California, even in spite of shipping costs? The United States is having a half-price sale all this century!

*This is only a guess. I have never seen this problem before.

Last edited:
Perhaps the headlight switch needs replacement?

Acuraoemparts.com has
srchrslts.jsp
in stock.

Exactly which part is this? Is it just the turning-knob-switch with the three positions (OFF - parking/dashboard lights - headlights) or the complete assembly

Is there a way to check the correction functioning of the switch.
The switch itself turns and clicks in position just like it has done always.
It doesn't feel any different, doesn't rattle, there is no excessive play, no strange sounds. Worked fine up to yesterday evening with no problems whatsoever.

Exactly which part is this? Is it just the turning-knob-switch with the three positions (OFF - parking/dashboard lights - headlights) or the complete assembly.

I believe it is the internal wiring and switch, and not the entire arm assembly (based on the fact that rockauto.com sells the entire switch and assembly for €521.51) but I am not sure, as I could not find a picture of the part (35151-SL0-A02) online.

Is there a way to check the correction functioning of the switch.?

Yes. You turn the switch, and if the correct lights come on, it is working. If you turn the switch on or off and the lights don't do what they are supposed to do, it isn't working. :tongue:

The switch itself turns and clicks in position just like it has done always. It doesn't feel any different, doesn't rattle, there is no excessive play, no strange sounds. Worked fine up to yesterday evening with no problems whatsoever.

Well, they work until they stop working. This sort of leads me to believe that the problem is in the internals, and not the arm assembly itself.

Did you look at my updated response above? I attached a link to a parts supplier in the Netherlands. For additional information, please contact CMS in the Netherlands at:

Artemisweg 245
8239 DD Lelystad
The Netherlands
Tel. : +31 (0) 320-265120
Fax : +31 (0) 320-268496

Business hours
Monday till Friday 08.00-12.30 13.00-17.00 CET
Closed on Saturday, Sunday & public holidays

Please note that CMS is a parts distribution center and not a shop or showroom that you can visit. They only process orders taken by phone, fax or provided online.

I am not personally familiar with this problem and I am only trying to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Did you look at my updated response above? I attached a link to a parts supplier in the Netherlands. For additional information, please contact CMS in the Netherlands at:

Artemisweg 245
8239 DD Lelystad
The Netherlands
Tel. : +31 (0) 320-265120
Fax : +31 (0) 320-268496

Business hours
Monday till Friday 08.00-12.30 13.00-17.00 CET
Closed on Saturday, Sunday & public holidays

Please note that CMS is a parts distribution center and not a shop or showroom that you can visit. They only process orders taken by phone, fax or provided online.

I am not personally familiar with this problem and I am only trying to point you in the right direction.

Hi Jett,

Thanks very much for your updated response. Didn't know we had a supplier like that in the Netherlands. Looks like buying the part from the US is a much cheaper solution (but will take longer).
It also seems that this site is mainly a source for motorcycle parts. The partnumber is the same however.
So my guess is that this specific NSX switch is also used on some Honda motorcyles??

CES in the Netherlands is basically just a parts warehouse. I don't think the switch is common to Honda motorcycles. I think that they just sell imported parts for both motorcycles and cars.

Also note that I AM NOT SURE that this is your problem. I only offer it as a possible solution.

I removed fuse 38 and then the parking lights and taillights are OFF. If I switch on my headlights with Fuse 38 OUT, the headlights works fine, but only my left taillight will work.

With fuse 38 out does the left tail light work properlly, if yes then its not the switch. Some thing is feeding power back into the circuits fed by fuse 38, do you have a aftermarket stereo?

With fuse 38 out does the left tail light work properlly, if yes then its not the switch. Some thing is feeding power back into the circuits fed by fuse 38, do you have a aftermarket stereo?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for chiming in. Your are right about the left taillight.
With fuse 38 OUT the left taillight remains on all the time, even with the headlights switch in the OFF position.
Have removed this bulb to prevent it from burning out.

And no, I just have the stock radio with an Alpine S634 player. Unit works fine also.
Actually, nothing has changed on my car electrically apart from replacing my old Alpine S611 unit for the newer S634 in December last year.

It is possible that you need the "SWITCH ASSEMBLY, LIGHT" Acura part no. 35280-SL0-A02. This is the correct part number for '95-'02 NSXes, so be careful when ordering parts to get the correct part for your model year. '91-'94 NSXes require a different switch. What model year NSX do you have?

Briank has superior knowledge in the electronics department compared to myself. Please follow his advice before you consider mine.

Last edited:
I am definately not an expert on car electrics or any kind of electric for that matter.

When I take a look at the Service Manual I see that Fuse 38 controls, among others, the front parking lights and the right tail light.
The LEFT tail light is powered through Fuse 39.

Both these fuses are going through the tail light relay, so my guess is then that the problem might be located there?
Question now is, is this a correct assumption or am I thinking too simple here?

Hi Brian,

Thanks for chiming in. Your are right about the left taillight.
With fuse 38 OUT the left taillight remains on all the time, even with the headlights switch in the OFF position.
Have removed this bulb to prevent it from burning out.

And no, I just have the stock radio with an Alpine S634 player. Unit works fine also.
Actually, nothing has changed on my car electrically apart from replacing my old Alpine S611 unit for the newer S634 in December last year.

Since the left is staying on its not likelly a feed back issue.

I would check the taillights relay before the replacing the switch. Its the center one on the top row of the relay box (the octagonal box under the hood). You should be able to swap it with the power window relay to the left and see if the problem moves.

Last edited:
At this moment, the problem seems to be solved.

I drove home today with Fuse 38 still pulled out and also with my left rear tail light bulb taken out. When I took the bulb out, it was still working.

At home, I checked my left taillight bulb, which turned out to be defective.
I put back the the Fuse and tried the headlight switch and everything worked fine.

Replaced the taillight bulb and things are working still ok.

So, in the end, my problem is solved although I have not really done anything except for replacing that light bulb.
In the coming week, I will take make sure to check if the problem reappears or not.

So far, everyone A Big Thanks for all your quick replies and suggestions. At least, again, I have learned something new about my car.

Back