• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Cantrell AIS owners - feedback request

Cantrell AIS owners - driving in heavy rain feedback request

Seems like this upgrade has had some very good reviews. After speaking to the guys at SOS I plan to order one soon. I am leasing an 05 model and this will be an easy non permanent upgrade.

Any feedback current owners can give me would be appreciated. I was afraid of rain entering the system and ruining the engine, but it sounds like this is not an issue for normal driving.

Before I buy I want to see if anyone has had problems with water intake while driving in heavy rain as my car is a day driver.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have had mine for a couple of months and about five hundred miles. I also replaced an RSR exhaust with an Anytime Race Exhaust at the same time as the AIS install, so it has been hard to tell what the difference is.

Whether it is the exhaust or the intake or both, my car sounds much better (loud and mean like I like it) and feels noticeably stronger.

I am satisfied, but I can't state definitively that it has done anything.

graemeg said:
...I was afraid of rain entering the system and runing the engine, but it sounds like this is not an issue for normal driving.
Thanks
I don't drive my baby in the rain so I don't have to be afraid of water coming up to the air filter. But I would never drive it in heavy rain or press in water while washing. The air filter seems dirtier than before.

Greetings,
Thomas

One thing about the AIS I forgot: It gives you a really very deep crowl while accelerating and sounds like a very horny trompet at VTEC. :D I really like it. If you don't like it you can simply go back to OEM. :)

I use my NSX as a DD and I've never had any issues with it. I also live in Seattle and while we don't often get heavy rain, there are lots of puddles and the streets are often very wet. I also love the sound of the AIS, right now I have the OEM air filter on there and I'm trying to decide if I want to go to a foam filter. If anyone has any suggestions... is there a sound difference just between filter elements?

Here are the pictures of the stock induction system compared to the Cantrell Air Induction System from 4 different angles. I also took a picture from inside the wheel well to show the relationship of the intake area to opening of the vent. Notice that the AIS covers the intake opening completely while the stock air tube is actually above the intake opening. If anyone does not believe that this would improve performance, I don't know what else to tell you. The numbers don't lie and neither does the pictures.

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B884ot1lsi

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B886ot1lsi

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B888ot1lsi

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B88%3Aot1lsi

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B892ot1lsi

3435%3B4%3A723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2333%3D77%3B%3D797%3DXROQDF%3E23237%3C339%3B894ot1lsi

Is that a drainage hose at the back of the intake area on the OEM part?

Last edited:
Yes it's an oem hose.
Thanks Litespeeds, I'm glad someone took the time to show the difference.
I've had mine for almost a year and I've loved it. Car felt more responseve, great sound, and now (as you can read in a similar thread) a measured HP gain of 6.9 HP.

is this part easy to install as well? i'm afraid of breaking things, also i read that you can install w/o removing much. more input and maybe a group buy soon. =P

I've had mine for over a year one of the first mods I did. Very happy with it.

I love mine - sounds great - goes into the stock location, looks like an exotic part, a little tight into the rubber inlet tube - works well with a the Procar CF Air Box :biggrin:

Is there a drainage hose on the Cantrell? If not. any concerns about water going in when dirving in rain.

graemeg said:
Is there a drainage hose on the Cantrell? If not. any concerns about water going in when dirving in rain.

I'll admit, I got caught in the rain 1 time! Can't claim the car's never been rained on anymore. But, luckily the car didn't melt ;) No problems with AIS.

TrustJDM said:
is this part easy to install as well? i'm afraid of breaking things, also i read that you can install w/o removing much. more input and maybe a group buy soon. =P
yes it's an easy install. I'm a bit of a mechanical idiot and I was able to do it.
Remove rear wheel and fender liner. And there it is. A few bolts, done.

graemeg said:
Doesn't need a drainage hose. The scoop has a downward angle. If you look closely you can see that the rubber seal at the large end has a small gap at the bottom - drainage via gravity.

NsXMas is correct - there is a lot of info on this if you do a search. :smile:

Back