• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car alarm

my car don't have the keyless entry kit, yet. i was wondering what i need to do.

do i just buy a car alarm that will provide keyless entry?

or do i need the keyless netry first before i can get aftermarket alarm to work?

what alarm do you guys use?

Purchase an aftermarket Cobra alarm which comes with keyless entry and rest. For 298 w/installation I now have keyless entry even to the trunk and full sensor alarm, etc... Professionally done with no drilling or splicing of wires. The only way to go....

nsxtasy said:
The one that comes on the car as standard equipment.

nsxtacy.. you don't ever worry about people breakin in and stuff??
B/c I mean, the stock alarm is kinda cheasy..

-x-

eg9 said:
Purchase an aftermarket Cobra alarm which comes with keyless entry and rest. For 298 w/installation I now have keyless entry even to the trunk and full sensor alarm, etc... Professionally done with no drilling or splicing of wires. The only way to go....

how sensitive is this alarm? and do you have an option of disarming COBRA and using the stock security system instead?

thanks

The alarm is as sensitive as I want it to be. As for disarming the Cobra, I'm not sure why I'd ever want to do that. The standard alarm stinks...

the reason i asked about this arming is because sometimesi dont want my alarm to be arming when i RICER rolls out next to it and revv his TIN can.

Then you would just lock your doors but not push the alarm button on the key fob.

VBNSX said:
No. It works just fine.

How often do you hear about anyone breaking into an NSX? Not very often...

VBNSX said:

-x-

Aftermarket stereos can attract car thieves. If you leave your NSX stereo stock, you won't have this problem and may be just as valuable of a theft deterrent as a fancy alarm.

If you're really paranoid, you can always attach a club. Although the club is not fullproof, I believe it does deter small time thieves from stealing your car.

In the past year, I remember two people posting about NSX thefts. However, as Ken mentions, it should be very rare. The vehicle is a low production car. It is conspicuous when stolen and its car parts are only applicable to a very narrow market of consumers.

most, if not all, aftermarket alarms can be switched to valet mode either through the remote or a toggle switch. This means that the keyless entry still works via the remote, but the alarm itself is disarmed(or in valet mode).

Adding Motion Sensor to Stock Alarm

I don't have a stock alarm, but from what I see the installation is very straightforward, and the pricing is not prohibitive. However, I'm interested in a motion sensor or microwave sensor, primarily so I can leave the top off and dissuade anyone who reaches within the open top.

Question is, can any of the aftermarket motion sensors be added to the stock Acura alarm?

I have both stock and after market alarm on my car...

wierd huh

if I lock the car with key.. the stock alarm arms. then I arm the aftermarket with remote.. both led blinks..

ok problem is.. if I forgot .. and unloock the car with aftermarket alarm remote.. it will trigger the stock alarm.. and make the u know wut noise.. ..

so if I'm using both alarms .. I must unlock stock first then aftermarket

Question is, can any of the aftermarket motion sensor be added to the stock Acura alarm?

I haven't added one to an NSX, but I've added aftermarket motion or perimeter sensors to factory alarm systems in the past.
The only difference is most aftermarket motion sensors are dual-stage. This means that if someone gets too close to the vehicle, the siren/horn will blast a few times to warn away an intruder, and if the intruder continues closer to the vehicle or sticks his arm inside the vehicle, the alarm will go to a full trigger. Because most factory alarms do not have the expansion ability to accommodate additional sensors, there is no "warn away" feature. If someone was to get too close to the vehicle or stick their hand inside the vehicle, the alarm would always go to a full trigger.

Cobra Alarm Set-Up

Hey eg9...

I appreciate you giving us the scoop...I too need keyless entry and read about your experience with the Cobra a couple of weeks ago...I went to a couple of shops here in Denver and they couldn't figure out which model you might have...especially for the pricing you got and with the remote pager...could you help me out with some model numbers...

I like the fact you didn't have to cut into anything...thanks...Mike

Tobal said:
Does our stock alarm have that compatiability too add a prox. sensor to it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I brought the alarm and proximity sensor schematics to Don
at Hilltop. He told me it can be done. I've been really busy and
haven't gone back for the install. One of these days it will be done or maybe do it myself.

VBNSX said:

-x-

Explain "cheesy"? The way I understand it is, if anyone tries to break into a stock alarmed NSX with anything other than factory door keys then the horn and lights go off in short bursts. How is this less inadequate than the other methods described here?

Or put another way, how is this any less of a deterrent?

BostonNSX said:
I have both stock and after market alarm on my car...

wierd huh

if I lock the car with key.. the stock alarm arms. then I arm the aftermarket with remote.. both led blinks..

ok problem is.. if I forgot .. and unloock the car with aftermarket alarm remote.. it will trigger the stock alarm.. and make the u know wut noise.. ..

so if I'm using both alarms .. I must unlock stock first then aftermarket

There is a wire in your driver's side door that is the bypass wire for the factory alarm. (I believe it is the green one) You simply ground it to the frame to avoid this. If that doesn't work, you can disconnect and ground the factory alarm up front by the radiator.

Hyuan said:

Aftermarket stereos can attract car thieves. If you leave your NSX stereo stock, you won't have this problem and may be just as valuable of a theft deterrent as a fancy alarm.

All the more reason to have a better alarm.

svalleynsx said:
Explain "cheesy"? The way I understand it is, if anyone tries to break into a stock alarmed NSX with anything other than factory door keys then the horn and lights go off in short bursts. How is this less inadequate than the other methods described here?

Or put another way, how is this any less of a deterrent?

By cheesy I think he means it offers little security and can be easily bypassed. For starters, since it doesn't have an impact sensor, you can break the glass window, crawl inside and take anything you want without the alarm going off if you don't open any doors, hood, or trunk. Also, since all the OEM alarms in the NSX is exactly the same, if you learn how to disable and bypass one, you know how to do it in all NSXs. Also, since the wiring schematic of the alarm is printed in the Helm service manual, anyone can look it up and find out exactly where the horn fuse is to render the alarm silent, find the parking light fuse to render the alarm visually silent, and find out where the starter kill relay is to bypass the starter kill, then drive off in the NSX. Since the Helm manual is in a free PDF right here on NSXPrime, that means anyone with internet access can access the information.

Let's just say if I can follow the schematic and figure out how to bypass the alarm, pretty much anyone can.

Note, this is for the NSX's without the transponder security key. The transponder key makes things a little more difficult.

I have installed security systems in over 75 NSXs. If you purchase a system from me I include a wiring diagram with color codes and locations for your NSX. Additionally, If you desire a proximity sensor I do have them as well as a few tricks for remote window up/down and more.

When you need alarm, keyless entry system or a subwoofer enclosure designed to the highest standards, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Feel free to visit my website at www.buzz-off.com

Andy

Back