• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Cover?

How many of you have to park your nsx outside and use and use a car cover? which custom car cover do you use\material, and how well does it work for you?

Originally posted by diablo2469:
How many of you have to park your nsx outside and use and use a car cover? which custom car cover do you use\material, and how well does it work for you?

2 best choices would be the Acura OEM stock cover or the Colgan covers. I am using the stock OEM cover and they are good at keeping the dust off the car, not sure about protection because its very thin in material. My car always sits in the garage with 2 covers on =-). only my weekend car.

I assume you've read the FAQ here?

I have a Technalon cover.

Advantages:
- breathable, allows moisture out, not in
- thick, may help against falling objects etc
- heavy, easier to put on (wind is less of a problem)
- durable, should last a long time

Disadvantage:
- bulky, takes up a lot of room in the trunk

Do you have any specific questions?

yes i have read the faq. i live in los angeles, and while we dont have snow and rain and such, i do have tons of dirt and dust and morning mildew\mist and sunshine to bake it in. how is the fit on your Technalon? would it allow for dust to get in under the cover, or is it really, really tight? thanks for the info.

how is the fit on your Technalon? would it allow for dust to get in under the cover, or is it really, really tight?

I should mention that I have a Technalon cover for my NSX, and also one for my Integras. We had one for our recently departed Civic 4WD Wagon as well.

They are all custom covers. The fit is very close; you have to stretch the cover slightly over the two side-view mirrors to get it on. For the most part they don't allow dust to get in under the cover; the one exception is at the bottom of the car, when it rains, dirt is typically kicked up along the bottom of the side sills.

where did you get your custom cover made? locally or online?

I got them by mail. The fit was perfect and there were no problems. However, I don't remember where I ordered them from.

Here are several places where you can get car covers:

CGI Motorsports sells the covers made by Covercraft, and Phil (CGI owner and NSX owner) gives good discounts.

Beverly Hills Motoring has been selling car covers for many years under their own name. They tend to have the highest prices IMO. HOWEVER, THEY MAY HAVE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS; SEE WARNING POSTED BELOW.

California Car Cover is yet another vendor.

All three of these vendors sell car covers in several different fabrics, and you can read about the benefits and drawbacks of each fabric on their websites.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 16 July 2002).]

Do you guys think I'd have any problem if I used two car covers? I have the clothe NSX car cover which I don't know is wet-proof, so I bought another car cover which is water-repellent.(K-mart had it for like 70% off!) So I figured i'd put the clothe one then the kmart cover on top...

Originally posted by nsxman:
I have bought a number of covers from Beverly Hills Motoring. My present NSX cover is well made and fits snug.

I have one as well. I don't know if the others have this, but when it fits the car its designed to leave an air space from the top of the rear window to the spoiler. Mine is 100% cotton, so if your gonna look for weather protection and want to cover over a cotton cover w/something that offers rain protection moisture could form below from heat from the engine ?
Just my 2 yen worth...

Originally posted by ak:
....(K-mart had it for like 70% off)...

Was that a "blue light" special......
biggrin.gif

Also, I'm not sure, but I don't think that the quality of a K-Mart cover is as good as one of the Evolution or equivelant brand covers.

Living in Seattle and parking my car outside for several years (not now and not with only the NSX), I have had some time to "play" with car covers.
For all around weather - even snow, the evolution and technalon fabrics are the best. They are very nice to the finish and easily washed at your local commercial washing machine (do not dry - they will air dry quickly).
Non-breathable material will trap moisture - not good in regards to water. Especially if you're covering the car wet -it will stay wet.
Lighter materials don't seem to work as well and "lift off" in windstorms - exposing the back and front areas to weather. Do not get one made of tyvek - these have limited durability. I blew through one of these in one year.
I have had a garage for a few years now and it is the easiest (of course) but I still use a cover when I drive to work.

Big Sky custom car covers out of Montana have the best prices I have found...

Hope this helps.

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

[This message has been edited by painlus (edited 15 July 2002).]

I would NOT use a cover purchased at K-Mart, since it's almost certainly a "generic" car cover that's not custom cut to conform with your particular car. I realize what you're saying, ak - put it over a "soft" cover so it won't damage the finish, which will be protected by the soft cover; however, any car cover that is not custom cut for a particular car really risks getting buffeted around in the wind, and I would be really leery for that reason. Even if there WERE another cover underneath it. And, of course, there is the double inconvenience of dealing with TWO covers on the car.

Good comments, painlus. The website for Big Sky Car Covers can be found here.

WARNING WARNING Do not buy anything from Beverly Hills Motorings Company. I have purchased over 15 of their covers and I do think they are the best covers out there. However the last 2 covers I ordered took over 3 months to come in and the last one I ordered never came in. I got my money back from the credit card company as I believe they went out of business. Their phones don't work but their site is still up. Please don't lose any money with them.

Back