Car has stock Bose cassette deck, want to add CD...

Before I begin my question, I would like to just say this is one awesome NSX site. The information gathered on here is priceless.

Having said that, my first post has to do with the stock Bose AM/FM cassette deck on my 93. The car is bone stock and I would like to listen to some CDs.

What are my options? Buy a single CD deck to replace the cassette deck or leave the stock console alone and just add a CD changer in the back?

I'm hoping to do the latter if that is possible. If so, how much total cost (labor, changer) am I looking at?

Replacing the stock deck is difficult and expensive, because the fitting is nonstandard.

Options for CD changers in the trunk are discussed in the FAQ.

Instead of buying the OEM changer(unless it's cheap...under $300), I'd buy an Alpine. It's cheaper and smaller. I put an Alpine changer in my glove box, but that's because I don't have a passenger air bag, like you do on yours.

Email me and I'll forward you a site that has some cheap(slightly used but in great condition) Alpine changers, and some OEM changers.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

The Honda/Acura unit is actually a modified re-labeled Alpine unit.

All you need to do is to buy the correct model Alpine unit and also purchase an adapter cable. It seems that Honda flipped some of the connections just to make life interesting. The adapter cable puts the connections as they should be.

You can install the player in the trunk. The factory cable is located on the left side and all you need to do remove the left trunk carpeted panel by the antenna and plug the adapter cable in the factory cable and then into the unit.

It's also a good time to invest in a Smartenna.

You can mount the unit with a factory bracket or use Velcro and leave on the floor of the trunk.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Sounds fairly straight forward to add a CD changer in the trunk.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which Alpine CD changers(model/models) work best?
What approx. cost am I looking at?

In addition to the adapter, do I have to buy a factory bracket from the dealer as well to mount the changer on the side of the trunk?

Those questions are answered in the FAQ, which is located at http://www.nsxprime.com/toc.htm

Click on the "Sound System" section under the "Accessories" heading for information on which models to get.

Click on the "Sound System" section under the "Do It Yourself" heading for information about brackets and the adapter cable.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 October 2001).]

http://www.nsx1.com/

Steve has some nice install pictures of an Alpine bracket.

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

The only Alpine that will work is the CHM-S620.

You should also think about upgrading the amps and speakers. Dali Racing offers a great package that won't harm your X. I'm thinking of buying it in the spring...

Back